how to share local user profile

Hi,

I recall seeing something about sharing local user profile by
local/domain user account (by modifying regedit setting and assigning
NTFS permission). Would someone pls. tell me where I can find that
information?

Thanks

Keith
7 answers Last reply
More about share local user profile

    http://tinyurl.com/9k2ar

    Jone Doe wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/9k2ar
    >
    > "OM" <hkg04@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I recall seeing something about sharing local user profile by local/domain
    >>user account (by modifying regedit setting and assigning NTFS permission).
    >>Would someone pls. tell me where I can find that information?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Keith

    Thanks, but it doesn't show which registry settings I have to modify to
    point to different profile directory.

    Keith

    OM wrote:

    > I recall seeing something about sharing local user profile by
    > local/domain user account (by modifying regedit setting and assigning
    > NTFS permission). Would someone pls. tell me where I can find that
    > information?
    Hi,

    In the registry, change the profile path for the local user to point to
    the same profile folder as the domain user (or the other way around):

    Take a look at this post:

    From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
    Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%40tkmsftngp08

    More here as well:

    Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory/browse_frm/thread/911123d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87

    If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
    permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
    > OM wrote:
    >
    >> I recall seeing something about sharing local user profile by
    >> local/domain user account (by modifying regedit setting and assigning
    >> NTFS permission). Would someone pls. tell me where I can find that
    >> information?
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > In the registry, change the profile path for the local user to point to
    > the same profile folder as the domain user (or the other way around):
    >
    > Take a look at this post:
    >
    > From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
    > Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%40tkmsftngp08
    >
    > More here as well:
    >
    > Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory/browse_frm/thread/911123d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87
    >

    > If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
    > permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    > http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

    Thanks Tom,

    I made the profileimagepath pointing to the local user profile directory
    for the domain user and assign full control ntfs permission on this
    profile directory.

    When I logon, I am able the see the same desktop icons as the local
    user. However, some of the settings are not preserved, e.g. IE homepage
    and wall paper. These settings should be stored in the profile
    directory, isn't it?

    Keith

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

    > OM wrote:
    >
    >> I recall seeing something about sharing local user profile by
    >> local/domain user account (by modifying regedit setting and assigning
    >> NTFS permission). Would someone pls. tell me where I can find that
    >> information?
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > In the registry, change the profile path for the local user to point to
    > the same profile folder as the domain user (or the other way around):
    >
    > Take a look at this post:
    >
    > From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
    > Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%40tkmsftngp08
    >
    > More here as well:
    >
    > Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory/browse_frm/thread/911123d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87
    >

    > If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
    > permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    > http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

    I have to put the domain user in the local admin group in order to see
    the same desktop wallpaper as well as IE home page. Can I achieve the
    same result without doing so (assign local admin right to the domain user).

    Thanks

    OM wrote:

    > I have to put the domain user in the local admin group in
    > order to see the same desktop wallpaper as well as IE home
    > page. Can I achieve the same result without doing so (assign
    > local admin right to the domain user).
    Hi,

    Most likely it is a registry permission issue. See if applying full
    rights to the domain user in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry branch
    helps.

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

    > OM wrote:
    >
    >> I have to put the domain user in the local admin group in
    >> order to see the same desktop wallpaper as well as IE home
    >> page. Can I achieve the same result without doing so (assign
    >> local admin right to the domain user).
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Most likely it is a registry permission issue. See if applying full
    > rights to the domain user in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry branch
    > helps.

    Thanks Torgeir,

    I figured that the local user is in the local administrative group while
    the domain user who use the profile is only in the local user group. As
    long as I assign administrative right to the domain user and all the
    profile settings are preserved.

Microsoft Windows XP