I am getting a "control panel not responding" message when I try to choose
the Maintenance icon under Control Panel ,,, in fact, the rollover of the
mouse gets no response as well. I have run symantic, spybot, and ad-aware and
still have problems. Any thoughts?

for your case, please try to change the themes of your windows to classic.
it can be an explorer problem so try first to open it in sans echec mode or
try to chenge the theme to more slowly(more faster to computer).second it can
be a problem of a driver! have you installed a new driver for a DVD or vga
card.
if it does'nt work say it ;).