Best AMP for Von Schweikert VR-1's ? Clear Please, not col..

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking to buy a used amplifier preferably with a volume control
or a very clean integrated. I can deal if there is no volume control.
I would like to know what is recommended. This is for a recording
studio. All over the board in music, so just clear as can be. Maybe
class A,

Thank you,
Chris

On 8/1/04 6:18 PM, in article cejq6o06cm@news3.newsguy.com, "Christian
Serig" <cserig@artic.edu> wrote:

> I am looking to buy a used amplifier preferably with a volume control
> or a very clean integrated. I can deal if there is no volume control.
> I would like to know what is recommended. This is for a recording
> studio. All over the board in music, so just clear as can be. Maybe
> class A,

If you know the sensitivity, power handling and impedance of the speakers
you should be able to get a good studio amp for it. Bryston makes a great
amplifier and is used there as well.

You may also want to consider getting nearfield monitors if you really are
going to use them in a studio - it will tend to have an amp integrated into
the speaker.

They are nearfields? Maybe you need to do some researching. I am
looking for more esoteric brands not so much Bryston since that is one
of the industry standards up there with Hafler. What are the highest
quality integrateds from over 10 years ago?

B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<cek0qh0crt@news3.newsguy.com>...
> On 8/1/04 6:18 PM, in article cejq6o06cm@news3.newsguy.com, "Christian
> Serig" <cserig@artic.edu> wrote:
>
> > I am looking to buy a used amplifier preferably with a volume control
> > or a very clean integrated. I can deal if there is no volume control.
> > I would like to know what is recommended. This is for a recording
> > studio. All over the board in music, so just clear as can be. Maybe
> > class A,
>
> If you know the sensitivity, power handling and impedance of the speakers
> you should be able to get a good studio amp for it. Bryston makes a great
> amplifier and is used there as well.
>
> You may also want to consider getting nearfield monitors if you really are
> going to use them in a studio - it will tend to have an amp integrated into
> the speaker.

The Bryston amplifiers fit the bill there. Very clean, powerful and
reliable. The 3B or a pair of 2B amps is a very good investment. The
2B would be very nice as the pro units have level controls on the
front and by using a pair, you can bi-amp and get the optimum bass
level set for your room. I would still recommend the use of a preamp
to control the master level, but you could use a mixing board there in
a pinch.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

Uptown Audio uptownaudio@rev.net wrote:

The Bryston amplifiers fit the bill there. Very clean, powerful and
>reliable. The 3B or a pair of 2B amps is a very good investment. The
>2B would be very nice as the pro units have level controls on the
>front and by using a pair, you can bi-amp and get the optimum bass
>level set for your room. I would still recommend the use of a preamp
>to control the master level, but you could use a mixing board there in
>a pinch.
>-Bill
>www.uptownaudio.com
>Roanoke VA
>(540) 343-1250

I'm hoping this is not redundant but I own 4 Bryston amplifiers. I bought them
right after the 20-year warranty was introduced. I also own another 10
amplifier products and quite frankly the Brystons have been the least reliable
amplifiers I've yet owned. Each of the 4B-NRBs has been back for service at
least once. And one of the 2Bs has now developed a scratchy level control.

And the 'warranty" is not free. At one time I had to send both the 4Bs back at
the same time (at my own expense) but because I hadn't saved BOTH shipping
cartons I used another box from another amplifier I owned.

Bryston fixed both amplifiers, threw away carton I shipped one amplifier in and
then charged me $30 for a new carton.

These are good amplifiers, sound exactly like the other 10 amps I own and
exactly like an ADCOM car audio amplifier, but they aren't among the most
reliable amplifiers I've owned.

Christian Serig wrote:

> They are nearfields? Maybe you need to do some researching. I am
> looking for more esoteric brands not so much Bryston since that is one
> of the industry standards up there with Hafler. What are the highest
> quality integrateds from over 10 years ago?

Bryston would still be on that list. :)

No need to spend outrageous sums to amplify those speakers.

"Christian Serig" <cserig@artic.edu> wrote in message
> I am looking to buy a used amplifier preferably with a volume control
> or a very clean integrated. I can deal if there is no volume control.
> I would like to know what is recommended. This is for a recording
> studio. All over the board in music, so just clear as can be. Maybe
> class A,
>

> Thank you,
> Chris

I would heartily recommend you look at QSC. Lots of bang for the buck, very
well built. They have amps with more power than most people will ever need
or use, up to 3500 WPC.

"Christian Serig" <cserig@artic.edu> wrote in message
> I am looking to buy a used amplifier preferably with a volume control
> or a very clean integrated. I can deal if there is no volume control.
> I would like to know what is recommended. This is for a recording
> studio. All over the board in music, so just clear as can be. Maybe
> class A,
>

> Thank you,
> Chris

The Bryston's go for around $2000.00 U.S. the QSC Powerlight PLX3402 is
around $1200.00 U.S. for 700WPC @8 ohms vs. the 200 WPC for the 4B.

Christian Serig wrote:

> What are the highest
> quality integrateds from over 10 years ago?

The Audiolab 8000s (release in 1996)!

On 8/3/04 7:09 PM, in article cep5uh02tr7@news4.newsguy.com, "Michael
McKelvy" <deskst49@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> "Christian Serig" <cserig@artic.edu> wrote in message
>> I am looking to buy a used amplifier preferably with a volume control
>> or a very clean integrated. I can deal if there is no volume control.
>> I would like to know what is recommended. This is for a recording
>> studio. All over the board in music, so just clear as can be. Maybe
>> class A,
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Chris
>
> The Bryston's go for around $2000.00 U.S. the QSC Powerlight PLX3402 is
> around $1200.00 U.S. for 700WPC @8 ohms vs. the 200 WPC for the 4B.

As long as it isn't a PA amp, you should be OK. There are some nasty
sounding PA amps out there that have some outrageous power ratings - they
don't measure particularly well either.