Batch File Question

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

I have a text file with a list of names, I would like to redirect this file
somehow to the md/mkdir command so that it will read the file and make a
directory for each entry in the text file..

Is this possible? If so how do i go about doing something like this. Thanks.

I would copy and paste the md command into the column before all the names
then save it as a .bat file. Copy the .bat file to the root of the drive I
want these folders in and execute the bat file.

"Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a text file with a list of names, I would like to redirect this file
> somehow to the md/mkdir command so that it will read the file and make a
> directory for each entry in the text file..
>
> Is this possible? If so how do i go about doing something like this.
> Thanks.

I'm not sure if there are any loops allowed in batch files. You could do it
using an AutoIT script (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.php) which
is really simple. Just replace names.txt with whatever your text file is,
and it will read in all the file one line at a time, and then create a
directory with that name (from wherever the script is run. AutoIT is a free
scripting language used to automate installs and other things.

;*****Beginning of Program*****
#include <array.au3>
#include <file.au3>
#include <string.au3>
Dim $names
_FileReadToArray("names.txt",$names)

For $i=1 to $names[0]
$val=DirCreate(StringStripCR($names[$i]))
Next
;*****End of Program*****

"Adrian" wrote:

> I have a text file with a list of names, I would like to redirect this file
> somehow to the md/mkdir command so that it will read the file and make a
> directory for each entry in the text file..
>
> Is this possible? If so how do i go about doing something like this. Thanks.

of corse you can do loops in batch files:

FOR %A IN (list) DO command [ parameters ]

Now, whether you can make a list of directory names in another file and
then pipe them into the command using the pipe and % variables tokens
is debateable.

If the list doesnt vary, simpler to just write a load of MKDIR commands
in a batch file. If the list does vary, then the above solution is the
only way, but its complicated.

look at http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html for a detailed
explanation.

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

"Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a text file with a list of names, I would like to redirect this
file
> somehow to the md/mkdir command so that it will read the file and make a
> directory for each entry in the text file..
>
> Is this possible? If so how do i go about doing something like this.
Thanks.

This is quite easy:

@echo off
for /F %%a in (c:\DirList.txt) do md %%a

or, if your names contain embedded spaces:

@echo off
for /F "tokens=*" %%* in (c:\DirList.txt) do md "%%*"

Batch files under Win2000/XP are surprisingly powerful. They
allow loops, if/then/else statements, string manipulation and lots
more. The only problem is that they are totally unstructured.