AXTimer: ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image

Every time I start up my computer, I get an error message that reads AXTimer:
ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image. It says that C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll is not a
valid Windows image. This message also pops up every couple of minutes
whether I have any programs open or not. I just installed Office 2003 and
cannot use MS Access. The error message was there before the install, but
seem to effect MS Access. The other programs run fine. How can I solve this
problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about axtimer viewmgr image

    Scott would wrote:

    > Every time I start up my computer, I get an error message that reads
    > AXTimer: ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image. It says that
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll is not a valid Windows image. This
    > message also pops up every couple of minutes whether I have any
    > programs open or not. I just installed Office 2003 and cannot use MS
    > Access. The error message was there before the install, but seem to
    > effect MS Access. The other programs run fine. How can I solve this
    > problem?

    The ViewMgr.exe program is for the Viewpoint Media Player that comes
    with AOL. Try uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs. It will have a
    separate entry from AOL so you don't need to uninstall AOL, at least to
    start.

    Do you have a current version antivirus (not earlier than 2004)
    installed? Are its virus definitions updated?

    There really isn't enough information in your post to give you a
    definitive answer, but to narrow down the troubleshooting, let's start
    with the above. When you post back with results, include more
    information about your computer - its hardware, how long the error has
    been going on, when it started, etc. Anything you think will help us
    help you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Scott would wrote:
    >
    > > Every time I start up my computer, I get an error message that reads
    > > AXTimer: ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image. It says that
    > > C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll is not a valid Windows image. This
    > > message also pops up every couple of minutes whether I have any
    > > programs open or not. I just installed Office 2003 and cannot use MS
    > > Access. The error message was there before the install, but seem to
    > > effect MS Access. The other programs run fine. How can I solve this
    > > problem?
    >
    > The ViewMgr.exe program is for the Viewpoint Media Player that comes
    > with AOL. Try uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs. It will have a
    > separate entry from AOL so you don't need to uninstall AOL, at least to
    > start.
    >
    > Do you have a current version antivirus (not earlier than 2004)
    > installed? Are its virus definitions updated?
    >
    > There really isn't enough information in your post to give you a
    > definitive answer, but to narrow down the troubleshooting, let's start
    > with the above. When you post back with results, include more
    > information about your computer - its hardware, how long the error has
    > been going on, when it started, etc. Anything you think will help us
    > help you.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks Malke. That did the trick.

    I'm working on an old computer I got from my grandparents. They were AOL
    users. I had removed the programs when I got it. I did not realize that
    Viewpoint was associated with AOL. It has been removed and the problem has
    not returned.

    Thanks again,

    Scott would

    Scott would wrote:

    > Thanks Malke. That did the trick.
    >
    > I'm working on an old computer I got from my grandparents. They were
    > AOL users. I had removed the programs when I got it. I did not realize
    > that Viewpoint was associated with AOL. It has been removed and the
    > problem has not returned.
    >
    > Thanks again,

    You are most welcome, Scott. Glad that solved the issue and thanks for
    taking the time to let me know.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers