Every time I start up my computer, I get an error message that reads AXTimer:
ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image. It says that C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll is not a
valid Windows image. This message also pops up every couple of minutes
whether I have any programs open or not. I just installed Office 2003 and
cannot use MS Access. The error message was there before the install, but
seem to effect MS Access. The other programs run fine. How can I solve this
problem?

Malke

Scott would wrote:

> Every time I start up my computer, I get an error message that reads
> AXTimer: ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image. It says that
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll is not a valid Windows image. This
> message also pops up every couple of minutes whether I have any
> programs open or not. I just installed Office 2003 and cannot use MS
> Access. The error message was there before the install, but seem to
> effect MS Access. The other programs run fine. How can I solve this
> problem?

The ViewMgr.exe program is for the Viewpoint Media Player that comes
with AOL. Try uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs. It will have a
separate entry from AOL so you don't need to uninstall AOL, at least to
start.

Do you have a current version antivirus (not earlier than 2004)
installed? Are its virus definitions updated?

There really isn't enough information in your post to give you a
definitive answer, but to narrow down the troubleshooting, let's start
with the above. When you post back with results, include more
information about your computer - its hardware, how long the error has
been going on, when it started, etc. Anything you think will help us
help you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Malke" wrote:

> Scott would wrote:
>
> > Every time I start up my computer, I get an error message that reads
> > AXTimer: ViewMgr.exe - Bad Image. It says that
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\TAPI32.dll is not a valid Windows image. This
> > message also pops up every couple of minutes whether I have any
> > programs open or not. I just installed Office 2003 and cannot use MS
> > Access. The error message was there before the install, but seem to
> > effect MS Access. The other programs run fine. How can I solve this
> > problem?
>
> The ViewMgr.exe program is for the Viewpoint Media Player that comes
> with AOL. Try uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs. It will have a
> separate entry from AOL so you don't need to uninstall AOL, at least to
> start.
>
> Do you have a current version antivirus (not earlier than 2004)
> installed? Are its virus definitions updated?
>
> There really isn't enough information in your post to give you a
> definitive answer, but to narrow down the troubleshooting, let's start
> with the above. When you post back with results, include more
> information about your computer - its hardware, how long the error has
> been going on, when it started, etc. Anything you think will help us
> help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks Malke. That did the trick.

I'm working on an old computer I got from my grandparents. They were AOL
users. I had removed the programs when I got it. I did not realize that
Viewpoint was associated with AOL. It has been removed and the problem has
not returned.

Thanks again,

Scott would

Malke

Scott would wrote:

> Thanks Malke. That did the trick.
>
> I'm working on an old computer I got from my grandparents. They were
> AOL users. I had removed the programs when I got it. I did not realize
> that Viewpoint was associated with AOL. It has been removed and the
> problem has not returned.
>
> Thanks again,

You are most welcome, Scott. Glad that solved the issue and thanks for
taking the time to let me know.

Malke