Display settings are missing

Paul

Splendid

Whenever I go to Control Panel and hit the Display Icon it only list The
Display Properties to change a Windows Theme. There is no settings control,
no screen size or anything else. I reinstalled my drivers for my Flat screen
Monitor and checked for updates (none), but I can no longer access control of
display. Any thoughts?

Mary

Did you try right clicking on the Desktop & choose Properties? If that
doesn't work, try the Device Manager to check on your Display hardware
settings. Did you reinstall the flat panel's software? Check the
manufacturer's web site for help.

"Paul" wrote:

> Whenever I go to Control Panel and hit the Display Icon it only list The
> Display Properties to change a Windows Theme. There is no settings control,
> no screen size or anything else. I reinstalled my drivers for my Flat screen
> Monitor and checked for updates (none), but I can no longer access control of
> display. Any thoughts?

Paul

Splendid

Yes Mary, I've already tried that. Thank you for your reply

Paul wrote:
> Whenever I go to Control Panel and hit the Display Icon it
> only list The Display Properties to change a Windows Theme.
> There is no settings control, no screen size or anything
> else. I reinstalled my drivers for my Flat screen Monitor
> and checked for updates (none), but I can no longer access
> control of display. Any thoughts?

You might want to go to this web site and download the registry
fix listed on line 285 on the right, "Restore All Display
Tabs":

Nepatsfan

Paul

Splendid

Thank you for the link Nepatsfan. I tried the download with no results.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> > Whenever I go to Control Panel and hit the Display Icon it
> > only list The Display Properties to change a Windows Theme.
> > There is no settings control, no screen size or anything
> > else. I reinstalled my drivers for my Flat screen Monitor
> > and checked for updates (none), but I can no longer access
> > control of display. Any thoughts?
>
> You might want to go to this web site and download the registry
> fix listed on line 285 on the right, "Restore All Display
> Tabs":

> Nepatsfan

Go to Device Manager, Click View - tic/check "Show Hidden
Devices". Then expand both the Display Adapters and Monitor
categories. Check that there is only a single Video card and the
monitor category has only one (or maybe two, if dual output)
monitors.
Also, Verify that the displayed device is using the correct driver.
I may have missed your original post - what video card does
the PC have installed ?

> Thank you for the link Nepatsfan. I tried the download with no results.
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>> > Whenever I go to Control Panel and hit the Display Icon it
>> > only list The Display Properties to change a Windows Theme.
>> > There is no settings control, no screen size or anything
>> > else. I reinstalled my drivers for my Flat screen Monitor
>> > and checked for updates (none), but I can no longer access
>> > control of display. Any thoughts?
>>
>> You might want to go to this web site and download the registry
>> fix listed on line 285 on the right, "Restore All Display
>> Tabs":

>> Nepatsfan

Paul

Splendid

McCarty, I have a LG FLATRON L1720P (Analog) monitor with a on board video
card (Dell L100R, 256mb RAM, PIII, Disabled tsr's, disabled firewall {McAfee}
and virus protection {Same}, purchased GForce MX4000 w/64mb DDR, but not
installed because of problem).

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Go to Device Manager, Click View - tic/check "Show Hidden
> Devices". Then expand both the Display Adapters and Monitor
> categories. Check that there is only a single Video card and the
> monitor category has only one (or maybe two, if dual output)
> monitors.
> Also, Verify that the displayed device is using the correct driver.
> I may have missed your original post - what video card does
> the PC have installed ?
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for the link Nepatsfan. I tried the download with no results.

> >> You might want to go to this web site and download the registry
> >> fix listed on line 285 on the right, "Restore All Display
> >> Tabs":
> >>
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan

From what info I could find on Dell's website it looks like your
PC uses the Intel 810 Chipset Video driver. The Dell site didn't
show a 810 driver for XP, only 9X/ME. I would probably go
to Intel's website and get the 810 Video driver directly from
them. You might also check for an updated Chipset driver for
the board, but I believe XP natively supports the 810 chipset.
(If you try to install the Intel version, it will inform you that it
isn't necessary) Before installing the new video driver, I would
check Add/Remove programs for Intel 810 Video and uninstall
any pre-existing version.

> McCarty, I have a LG FLATRON L1720P (Analog) monitor with a on board video
> card (Dell L100R, 256mb RAM, PIII, Disabled tsr's, disabled firewall
> {McAfee}
> and virus protection {Same}, purchased GForce MX4000 w/64mb DDR, but not
> installed because of problem).
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Go to Device Manager, Click View - tic/check "Show Hidden
>> Devices". Then expand both the Display Adapters and Monitor
>> categories. Check that there is only a single Video card and the
>> monitor category has only one (or maybe two, if dual output)
>> monitors.
>> Also, Verify that the displayed device is using the correct driver.
>> I may have missed your original post - what video card does
>> the PC have installed ?
>>
>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for the link Nepatsfan. I tried the download with no
>> > results.

You might also want to take a look at the following registry
key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

Look for the following values in the right hand column

NoDispAppearancePage
NoDispBackgroundPage
NoDispScrSavPage
NoDispSettingsPage

If any of these are present, make sure that the value data is
set to 0.
You can right click on those values and select Modify from the
drop down menu if you need to make any changes.

If this doesn't help, I guess it's time to ask a few
questions:

When did you first notice this problem?
If this is a recent issue, you might be able to use System
Restore to correct the problem.

Have you had to deal with any virus or spyware issues recently?

Have you tried to install your new video card? If so, what
happened when you did?

Nepatsfan

Paul wrote:
> Thank you for the link Nepatsfan. I tried the download with
> no results.
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Whenever I go to Control Panel and hit the Display Icon it
>>> only list The Display Properties to change a Windows Theme.
>>> There is no settings control, no screen size or anything
>>> else. I reinstalled my drivers for my Flat screen Monitor
>>> and checked for updates (none), but I can no longer access
>>> control of display. Any thoughts?
>>
>> You might want to go to this web site and download the
>> registry fix listed on line 285 on the right, "Restore All
>> Display Tabs":

>> Nepatsfan

Paul

Splendid

R. McCarty, I went to Intel's site and they listed no 810 video drivers.
They did list the 810 chipset, CA810 motherboard and 82810 graphics
controller. Thanks for your help.