Your question

Driver for HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 doesn't work

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • ATI
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 2, 2012 2:38:25 PM

Hello everyone. I am Daniel and I need help. We just purchased a new Pentium 4 3.4 GHz 32-bit processor with HyperTransport technology and a new AGP HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 with IceQ and 1GB DDR3 RAM packed in a green and black box with this serial number H467QS1GHA. I also installed a new Windows 7 32-bit. I installed the drivers from the HIS CD that was packed with the graphics card but when I start up Windows I can't play any 3D games. Also a message from ATI Catalyst Control Center pops up saying that I don't have an ATI driver or the ATI driver is not working properly.

I got these error mesages (I listed the games too):

GTA III:
"Grand Theft Auto III requires at least 12MB of available video memory"

GTA San Andreas:
Nothing, the EXE starts but no icon on windows taskbar or any game working, and in 5 seconds the EXE terminates (I saw in the Windows Task Manager).

GTA Vice City:
"Grand Theft Auto VC t(2 dots at up)bb vide|mem|rit ignyel"

Overspeed Illegal Street Racing:
"Create hw 3d device FAILED"

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2:
"DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error.

Check the readme for possible solutions."

Just Cause:
"EN: Just Cause was unable to start. Please make sure that you have installed the latest drivers for your graphic card and DirectX. In addition, please make sure that your graphic card supports the functions vertex shader 1.1 and pixel shader 1.1. For further information and troubleshooting, please refer to the readme file.

(INSERT France, Deutsch, Italian and Espanol translations here)"

I have DirectX 11 too. When I go to canirunit.com I can't pass any games because it detects 0.0B of dedicated memory.

My AGP Aperture Size is on 4MB in the BIOS. I wonder if that does anything. It was on 256MB. My brother set it - not me.

My rig:
INTEL motherboard (don't know which, the BIOS is 2004)
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B ATA Device
No floppy drive slot
SB Audigy
Pentium 4 3.4 GHz with HyperTransport technology 32-bit
ATI Radeon 4670 with IceQ and 1GB dedicated RAM (atleast it should be!)
Seagate ST31081A 160GB HDD
3 GB MaxData RAM
MaxData case

My another brother tested the graphics card on his computer: according to him it works perfectly.

Also in Device Manager it writes this:
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Thanks for any help!

Daniel

More about : driver ati radeon 4670 work

August 2, 2012 2:48:32 PM

AGP aperture should be ideally 1 to 2 times larger than your VRAM quantity if I remember correctly from the AGP days.

It sounds like the device is having problems starting the drivers. This is either due to a hardware problem or a driver issue, or a compatibility issue.

Check that your motherboard has the latest AGP revision, namely 8x (revision 3.0 and above).

I know you said the card was checked by someone else to be good, but check it on a different computer to be absolutely sure. It could have been damaged (electrostatic discharges, for example) while uninstalling, transporting and reinstalling.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:56:54 PM

I don't know my VRAM quantity. It doesn't write on the box and I can't read it from the VRAM chips. There are two chips.

My motherboard has the 3.0 revision. I don't think that the device is damaged: I'm writing using my graphics card (the one I am talking about). A 2D game (from 1996), called When Clones Attack, runs very fast (unplayable because it's too fast. The game doesn't have a frame limiter).
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 2:59:48 PM

danielurbest said:
I don't know my VRAM quantity. It doesn't write on the box and I can't read it from the VRAM chips. There are two chips.

My motherboard has the 3.0 revision. I don't think that the device is damaged: I'm writing using my graphics card (the one I am talking about). A 2D game (from 1996), called When Clones Attack, runs very fast (unplayable because it's too fast. The game doesn't have a frame limiter).

Well you said that it had 1GB of dedicated RAM (Video-RAM -> VRAM).

2D games doesn't use the 3D engine which is where most of the silicon space is spent on modern videocards.

Go to safemode, and uninstall all drivers, then use Driver Sweeper to clean out all ATI/AMD/Nvidia drivers.

Then install drivers after a restart.

m
l
August 2, 2012 3:02:04 PM

Ok, I'll try that. But in the BIOS the AGP aperture size maximum is 256MB.

Will write soon. Thanks!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 3:24:19 PM

I hope you realize that your computer is an antique compared to modern games. IMHO, you are beating a dead horse. Even if you get your current games running as you like you are topped out. This website has articles periodically evaluating new computer builds well under $1000 that will run your present games easily and provide upgrade paths for future games.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:31:33 PM

ram1009: No thanks, this is good for my needs. I'm not going to beat my PC to the extreme. All I want to play is shader model 3 games with dual core 1.7ghz requirements max. :) 

Anyways, I have tried to do what you did, but it was no use. Still not working. Same errors. However, the Catalyst disappeared, so did the error message at boot.

EDIT: Should falling back to Windows Vista fix this problem?
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:50:41 PM

Here is the link for the latest AMD/ATi Drivers for your Win7/32 and HIS HD4670agp card direct from AMD

Link

Download the Catalyst Suite.
Make sure you have uninstalled all previous AMD/ATi drivers and used 'Driver Sweeper' to remove vestiges.
After a reboot install the catalyst suite and reboot again.

You should be good to go.

If not, then you have a duff card. RMA to supplier.

Q
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:07:54 PM

Might be a good idea to completely uninstall your drivers and see what Windows uses as your legacy driver. If I am not mistaken the drivers for the AGP versions are very different than the PCI-E and they work more like hotfixes. The previous post should help you with the removal process and I think you can install catalyst suite and the graphics driver separately.
If you insist on using something as close to cutting edge as possible then these may be of some interest: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat...
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:26:43 PM

Also, and I just remembered, on AGP equipped systems, there is an AGP driver associated with that. Just a thought, if you don't have the AGP driver, the card will be recognized only in PCI mode. This won't prevent you from installing drivers, but will drop the performance a lot.

Lastly, as others already said, double check to make sure your drivers are AGP specific. You may have to look under legacy, or legacy-legacy drivers from AMD>
m
l
August 2, 2012 8:26:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. It wasn't the driver which was the problem - It was perfect. The problem was that the VRAM in my video card didn't work, and it got 4MB RAM from the system RAM. That was why no 3D games worked. I changed my AGP Aperture Size to 256MB (as it is the maximum). Now I am left with 256MB of VRAM, not 1GB. But it's working now. Well, now really. I fried my PSU - it was too weak for the graphics card :p  400W was not enough. Getting 600W tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!

Daniel
m
l
August 2, 2012 8:39:14 PM

I still have an old p4 3.4HT with 2gigs of 400mhz ram and a HD3850 512 agp. It can run MW3 on medium at 1280x1024, I use it when my bros come over for minilan parties.

Any way, on that computer I did a bunch of benchmarks to try to figure out what would keep it running the best. On my system setting the agp ap size in the bios to 128 worked the best. The difference was huge in games like MW3 ME3 Soulstorm and KillingFloor. For some reason setting to anything higher made the computer 10-20% slower. I used 3dmark vantage and stalker benchmark.
m
l
August 2, 2012 9:15:39 PM

danielurbest said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. It wasn't the driver which was the problem - It was perfect. The problem was that the VRAM in my video card didn't work, and it got 4MB RAM from the system RAM. That was why no 3D games worked. I changed my AGP Aperture Size to 256MB (as it is the maximum). Now I am left with 256MB of VRAM, not 1GB. But it's working now. Well, now really. I fried my PSU - it was too weak for the graphics card :p  400W was not enough. Getting 600W tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!

Daniel

Good to hear things sort of worked out for you.

Also, nevermind the wattage, the quality of the PSU is not synonymous with wattage. Your computer based on what you said can be easily served with 400W, just pick a quality one. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec are all good brands. Corsair particularly, there is one 400W for sale model 400CX from NCIX here that is made by Seasonic (the most reliable PSU maker) for only 29.99 on sale this week:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33357&vpn=CM...

m
l
August 3, 2012 8:10:22 AM

Thanks, but I don't have a credit card so I am gonna get it in a computer shop.

Also how can you mark this thread as SOLVED? Because it's solved now.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:06:15 PM

danielurbest said:
Thanks, but I don't have a credit card so I am gonna get it in a computer shop.

Also how can you mark this thread as SOLVED? Because it's solved now.

Pick one of our responses as 'Best Answer' and the title automatically gets (solved) put in front.

Q
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 421 $ Windows 7
August 3, 2012 12:15:08 PM

danielurbest < best answer can now be selected!
m
l
!