How do I bypass 'select user' screen?

How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the only user on
this machine, would like it to default to my user account. It used to work
fine, but since I installed software for an external hard drive, it now asks
me to select a user whenever I start up. Really annoying! Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about bypass select user screen

    Start/Run
    Type "control userpasswords2" ENTER
    Uncheck "Users must enter..."
    Click OK and follow prompts.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    ssslithe wrote:
    > How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the
    > only user on this machine, would like it to default to my
    > user account. It used to work fine, but since I installed
    > software for an external hard drive, it now asks me to
    > select a user whenever I start up. Really annoying! Any
    > ideas?

    Go to Start -> Run.
    Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

    control userpasswords2

    Click OK.
    Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer".
    In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
    Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
    Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
    not have a password.
    Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
    results.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    Thanks guys - Nepatsfan and Jupiter Jones's advice worked perfectly.

    ssslithe wrote:
    > Thanks guys - Nepatsfan and Jupiter Jones's advice worked
    > perfectly.

    You're welcome.

    FYI, if you want to add that User Account applet to Control
    Panel, go to this web site and run the registry fix listed on
    line 1, right hand column.

    Nepatsfan

    ssslithe wrote:
    || How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the only
    || user on this machine, would like it to default to my user account.
    || It used to work fine, but since I installed software for an external
    || hard drive, it now asks me to select a user whenever I start up.
    || Really annoying! Any ideas?

    Download TweakUI (part of the Windows Power Users tools) from Microsoft.
    This has an option to automatically log in to an accout at boot up.

Microsoft External Hard Drive Windows XP