How do I bypass 'select user' screen?

June 7, 2005 6:33:02 PM

How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the only user on
this machine, would like it to default to my user account. It used to work
fine, but since I installed software for an external hard drive, it now asks
me to select a user whenever I start up. Really annoying! Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:46:52 PM

Start/Run
Type "control userpasswords2" ENTER
Uncheck "Users must enter..."
Click OK and follow prompts.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"ssslithe" <ssslithe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the only user on
> this machine, would like it to default to my user account. It used to work
> fine, but since I installed software for an external hard drive, it now
> asks
> me to select a user whenever I start up. Really annoying! Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:45:28 PM

ssslithe wrote:
> How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the
> only user on this machine, would like it to default to my
> user account. It used to work fine, but since I installed
> software for an external hard drive, it now asks me to
> select a user whenever I start up. Really annoying! Any
> ideas?

Go to Start -> Run.
Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

control userpasswords2

Click OK.
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer".
In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
not have a password.
Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
results.

Good luck

Nepatsfan
June 7, 2005 9:45:29 PM

Thanks guys - Nepatsfan and Jupiter Jones's advice worked perfectly.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> ssslithe wrote:
> > How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the
> > only user on this machine, would like it to default to my
> > user account. It used to work fine, but since I installed
> > software for an external hard drive, it now asks me to
> > select a user whenever I start up. Really annoying! Any
> > ideas?
>
> Go to Start -> Run.
> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> Click OK.
> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer".
> In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
> Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
> Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
> not have a password.
> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
> results.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:11:57 PM

ssslithe wrote:
> Thanks guys - Nepatsfan and Jupiter Jones's advice worked
> perfectly.

You're welcome.

FYI, if you want to add that User Account applet to Control
Panel, go to this web site and run the registry fix listed on
line 1, right hand column.

Nepatsfan
June 8, 2005 2:37:07 AM

ssslithe wrote:
|| How do you get rid of the welcome screen on XP Pro? I am the only
|| user on this machine, would like it to default to my user account.
|| It used to work fine, but since I installed software for an external
|| hard drive, it now asks me to select a user whenever I start up.
|| Really annoying! Any ideas?

Download TweakUI (part of the Windows Power Users tools) from Microsoft.
This has an option to automatically log in to an accout at boot up.
!