Sign in with
Your question

maxtor vs wd raptor

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2003 3:32:37 AM

I'm split between...

Maxtor 80GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB OEM ($120)
^--- that's a Diamond Max Plus9 w/FDB, right?

and

Western Digital Raptor 120GB IDE/7200RPM SATA150 w/8MB Cache
($150)

Which should I get? I might not even be able to use all 120G or even half of it... lol

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oops on 11/27/03 06:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : maxtor raptor

November 27, 2003 7:19:05 AM

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">I think I just answered this, or similar, elsewhere</A>

<font color=blue>"If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits.” - David Brent</font color=blue>
November 27, 2003 9:14:11 AM

Yes you did but I posted first. :p 

This is strange. This store says this:
http://atic.ath.cx/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=00487

I guess it's a typo... :(  my hopes of getting a cheap raptor have been shattered! lol But still, I don't think you said why you'd get the caviar one. Is it because it's an expensive delicacy? ;) 
Related resources
November 27, 2003 3:12:10 PM

Hehehe!

Yeah, looks like a typo by the store. I'd go with the WD because, IMO they make the best drives and offer the best warranty support. You'll find a lot of people on these boards with nothing but good things to say about WD, moreso that any other supplier. But, at the end of the day, it's whatever suits your wallet the most.

Personally, I'd go with the WD.

<font color=blue>"If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits.” - David Brent</font color=blue>
November 27, 2003 3:44:27 PM

is it quiet? eg) no ticking or metallica singing? my current laptop compy sings metallica from time to time ;)  another reason why i want a new comp lol
November 28, 2003 3:41:05 PM

i know but i don't want a seagate.

i've decided to go with the maxtor after all.

-------
i.am.ca
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 20, 2004 10:37:52 AM

Hello,
I have been reading many post concerning HDD's and It seems to me that no brand seems to be standing out in front in contrast to any of the others as being way better or the best. I't like when you go to 3 different mechanic's to find out what's wrong with your car and get 3 different opinions as to what's wrong?..........

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>
January 20, 2004 9:21:00 PM

seagate = slow. D740X's are monsters, I have em raided for 80GB RAID 0. Damn fast! Gotta 120GB DM9 as well, I'll give u that it's mad queit. When I dl stuff overnight I make it save on the DM9 cause it lets me sleep. Recently got a 250GB WD also...doesn't do the loud noises of the d740x when searching, but damn it gives an annoying whiny high pitched squeel.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
January 21, 2004 10:45:35 PM

Well done, you spotted it. Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital will all sell top quality products with no real difference in reliability or performance. Seagate are supposedly quieter. Hitachi are supposedly a tad faster (but still avoided because they're old IBMs).

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
January 22, 2004 5:42:08 AM

I remember reading somewhere that some of the deskstar hard drives could not be run 24/7 because they got to hot. Even IBM were saying that you should only use them for 10hours at a time or summik. Anyone know what im talking about...or am i chatting out of my a*se?

[Insert witty comment here]
January 22, 2004 5:07:44 PM

IBM did introduce a recommended hours per day thingumy to much consternation but withdrew it pretty promptly. They then offloaded their whole desktop drive buisness to Hitachi and the issue of hours per day running hasn't returned. A drive will reach operating temperature pretty quickly so saying they can't be used 24/7 cannot be to keep the drive cool.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
!