Chkdsk (error checking) runs each time computer starts

I have a XP Home computer, 2 partitions. Each time you start the computer it
says a disk check has been scheduled for drive D: and performs the check.
When I try to defrag drive D it says "Disk defragmenter has detected that a
disk check has been scheduled.... perform chkdsk /f" and it will not let me
defrag.

I have gone to error checking, told it to check and then when it asks if I
wish to schedule a check (because it needs exclusive access) the next time it
restarts I answer no. I have dropped to a command prompt and run chkdsk /f,
told it both no and yes when asked to schedule upon next restart. In other
words nothing has helped to stop the disk checks and enable me to run defrag.

thanks,

--
Phil Gilbert
Free Radical, LTD.

    Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506
    Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

    "frdbadf" <frdbadf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a XP Home computer, 2 partitions. Each time you start the computer it
    > says a disk check has been scheduled for drive D: and performs the check.
    > When I try to defrag drive D it says "Disk defragmenter has detected that a
    > disk check has been scheduled.... perform chkdsk /f" and it will not let me
    > defrag.
    >
    > I have gone to error checking, told it to check and then when it asks if I
    > wish to schedule a check (because it needs exclusive access) the next time it
    > restarts I answer no. I have dropped to a command prompt and run chkdsk /f,
    > told it both no and yes when asked to schedule upon next restart. In other
    > words nothing has helped to stop the disk checks and enable me to run defrag.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Phil Gilbert
    > Free Radical, LTD.

    Thanks TaurArian,

    kellys-korner-xp.com was a very informative site. I was able to stop the
    scan at startup once but it returns. Each time chkntfs indicates the drive
    is dirty. It may be that the hive is damaged, this is a client's computer
    due to be replaced in the next 6 months. I've done the MS solution for
    recovery from a damaged hive before, that was a case of no choice. Don't
    think I'm going to go through that on this one.

    thanks.

    "TaurArian" wrote:

    > Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506
    > Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer
    >

    > "frdbadf" <frdbadf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a XP Home computer, 2 partitions. Each time you start the computer it
    > > says a disk check has been scheduled for drive D: and performs the check.
    > > When I try to defrag drive D it says "Disk defragmenter has detected that a
    > > disk check has been scheduled.... perform chkdsk /f" and it will not let me
    > > defrag.
    > >
    > > I have gone to error checking, told it to check and then when it asks if I
    > > wish to schedule a check (because it needs exclusive access) the next time it
    > > restarts I answer no. I have dropped to a command prompt and run chkdsk /f,
    > > told it both no and yes when asked to schedule upon next restart. In other
    > > words nothing has helped to stop the disk checks and enable me to run defrag.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phil Gilbert
    > > Free Radical, LTD.

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:29:08 -0700, "frdbadf"

    >kellys-korner-xp.com was a very informative site. I was able to stop the
    >scan at startup once but it returns. Each time chkntfs indicates the drive
    >is dirty. It may be that the hive is damaged, this is a client's computer
    >due to be replaced in the next 6 months.

    Either that, or it has an ATX-off process that acts while the HD is
    still flushing its own cache RAM to the platters. That was an issue
    with some PCs in Win9x; dunno if it applies to XP too.

    Or it could be that something is explicitly starting ChkDsk (or
    AutoChk) on startup. That might set the flag as a way of triggering a
    check on boot, if it determines it can't check the volume while "in
    use". In Win9x, shortcuts to deleted files used to grope for a new
    "match", and would often point to something wildly inappropriate, such
    as Smartdrv. Dunno if XP's as dumb, but if it is, you may find a
    Startup (or AllUsers StartUp) shortcut that's supposed to point to
    another file, but now points to ChkDsk, AutoChk, or similar.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Chkdsk Computers Defragment Windows XP