My 6th character

Last response: in Video Games
November 9, 2004 4:13:21 PM

I already have 5 characters:
Paladin (GM swords main character)
Mage (78 mage skill)
Tamer (40 tame skill)
Samurai (55 bushido)
Ninja ( 40 ninjitsu)

What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I have thought of a
crafter (smith, tinker, tailor) to make things for the other characters.

The Ninja character is fun to play but will never be much use in PVM (I
don't play PVP). What would it take for her to be able to sneak into
dungeons (like Doom) and rob things from chests (can good things can be
found in chests?). I've never open any chests they are always locked and
can't be opened by my mage. Is lockpicking the skill required or can keys be
used?

My tamer seems quite useless since she can't transfer tamed creatures to my
other characters. I have been thinking of deleting her. Taming takes a lot
of time to advance. There should be an account based stable so all
characters on the account could use stabled pets.

Andrea

More about : 6th character

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 7:57:56 PM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:13:21 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I already have 5 characters:
>Paladin (GM swords main character)
>Mage (78 mage skill)
>Tamer (40 tame skill)
>Samurai (55 bushido)
>Ninja ( 40 ninjitsu)
>
>What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I have thought of a
>crafter (smith, tinker, tailor) to make things for the other characters.

I'd say a crafter is probably the way to go. You won't be able to make
anything that another player wants but it's very nice to be able to
enhance and repair your own stuff. And who knows? Maybe they'll fix
crafting one of these days so it's good for something more than that.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 7:57:57 PM

In what ways could I enhance my own stuff? I can already repair by buying
repair contracts. It does sometimes lower the durability of the items, would
repairing them by a crafter maintain their original durability?

Andrea

"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:13:21 -0800, "Andrea2"
> <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I'd say a crafter is probably the way to go. You won't be able to make
> anything that another player wants but it's very nice to be able to
> enhance and repair your own stuff. And who knows? Maybe they'll fix
> crafting one of these days so it's good for something more than that.
>
> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
November 9, 2004 11:00:52 PM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:22:54 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In what ways could I enhance my own stuff? I can already repair by buying
>repair contracts. It does sometimes lower the durability of the items, would
>repairing them by a crafter maintain their original durability?
>
>Andrea

Well if you had a smith or tailor you could enhance good magic armor
and weapons with different leather or metals to make it even better.
That's where most of the best stuff comes from these days.

You could also get into the bod game. With just a single crafter you
won't get the very best rewards but it's not much trouble to keep
yourself in powder of temperance so that you can restore the
durability of your favourite armor or weapon when the repairs weaken
it too much.

I just find it more convenient to do my own repairs than to hunt
around for repair deeds. The more damaged something is the more likely
it is to lose a point of durability when you repair it so I do repairs
pretty frequently.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:06:21 AM

Andrea2 wrote:
> I already have 5 characters:
> Paladin (GM swords main character)
> Mage (78 mage skill)
> Tamer (40 tame skill)
> Samurai (55 bushido)
> Ninja ( 40 ninjitsu)
>
> What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I have thought of a
> crafter (smith, tinker, tailor) to make things for the other characters.

Consider a treasure hunter.

The game is lousy with lockpickers lately for some reason, still it is a
good profession to have. That takes care of 100 points.

Cartography is relatively easy to gain, just tedious. Figure another 100
skill points from the pool.

The other 500 point you can just about do anything with.

Magery at 91+ for recalling around, casting invisibility, disarming
traps, is always good. Add either focus or meditation to round it out.
Meditation if you are traveling light, focus if you want to do the spam
in a can thing. Another 200 here gets it done.

Which leave you with 300 for fooling. It isn't really enough to build a
good head knocker because you can't get enough [parry, weapon, anatomy,
tactics, magic resist] in 300 points to be effective.

You can divide up those points between taming, lore, and veterinary, and
have a pretty good character or just add Evaluate Intelligence and make
them a mage type killing machine. That's a good option since you can
make them a fisherman too. You get lots of junk like pictures and
pillows from fishing. There are alternatives, like on S.P. my lockpicker
is GM mage so he just summons a deamon to travel with him where ever he
goes.

It's kind of an aquired taste. I frequently run a rogue type character
in RPGs. I get a lot of satisfaction from dungeon diving and avoiding
monsters then just killing them.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:06:22 AM

I've been thinking about the tamer, she is real lame. I bought the original
animal lore&taming. I've played her quite a bit and only gained 10 skill
points. It would take a year or two to get up to GM tamer. I'd have to be
over 90 taming to be able to tame any real effective fighting monsters. If I
decide on continuing taming, I think I will buy an advanced taming
character. they start out at 85 taming and 85 lore.

Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

Andrea

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Consider a treasure hunter.
>
> The game is lousy with lockpickers lately for some reason, still it is a
> good profession to have. That takes care of 100 points.
>
> Cartography is relatively easy to gain, just tedious. Figure another 100
> skill points from the pool.
>
> The other 500 point you can just about do anything with.
>
> Magery at 91+ for recalling around, casting invisibility, disarming traps,
> is always good. Add either focus or meditation to round it out. Meditation
> if you are traveling light, focus if you want to do the spam in a can
> thing. Another 200 here gets it done.
>
> Which leave you with 300 for fooling. It isn't really enough to build a
> good head knocker because you can't get enough [parry, weapon, anatomy,
> tactics, magic resist] in 300 points to be effective.
>
> You can divide up those points between taming, lore, and veterinary, and
> have a pretty good character or just add Evaluate Intelligence and make
> them a mage type killing machine. That's a good option since you can make
> them a fisherman too. You get lots of junk like pictures and pillows from
> fishing. There are alternatives, like on S.P. my lockpicker is GM mage so
> he just summons a deamon to travel with him where ever he goes.
>
> It's kind of an aquired taste. I frequently run a rogue type character in
> RPGs. I get a lot of satisfaction from dungeon diving and avoiding
> monsters then just killing them.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:03:34 AM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:49:26 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
>treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
>start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
>hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
>and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

There are a set number of treasure locations, if you don't count the SOS
bottles at sea. Once you know the locations (looking them up on Stratics
or using UOAM) it's easy to dig them up. The difficulty is avoiding the
spawn. The higher the level map/chest, the more and tougher monsters will
spawn to protect it and kill you. It's pretty easy to raise lockpicking
but it's very boring. Do you have UO Assist? You can go to your shard's
lockpick training house, assuming it has one, and create macros to lock
and pick the little red boxes that are GM Tinker crafted.

There are a lot of little details you might want to read up on. Stratics
has some quite detailed notes on Treasure Hunting as well as a forum
specifically for it. You should be able to find out if your shard has a
lockpick training house there at least.

Garrett (after the Thief character), my treasure hunter has hiding and
fencing instead of peacemaking and musicianship. Those are probably
better though, especially for the higher level chests.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:13:21 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I

My 6th character is named, "Gringotts", which if you're a Harry Potter
fan should tell you all you need to know.
--
"Ceterum censeo delendam esse Spam."
(With apologies to Cato the Elder.

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've
> seen treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't
> want to start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO
> Treasure hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography,
> peacemaking, magery and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a
> treasure hunter?

My Treasure-hunter/bard is my favourite character to play. A sweep of level
3/4 dungeon chests will net you plenty of loot, and the higher level maps
are a good challenge if you are playing solo.
Her skills:
Cartography 100 (need that for lvl 5 maps)
Lockpicking 100
Magery 100 (use EVs for many creatures)
Meditation 100
Music 120 (projected!)
Provo 100
Peace 100

Of course she has no EI, so cannot cast direct damage spells, but an EV will
tackle multiple targets in dungeons should you get tangled up in a fight...
The object is really not to have to fight at all, and you can easily run
through the 15 monsters a T-map spawns with this level of peace/provo;
although the musical skills are slow to raise if you are playing them as I
have, rather than training them intensely like some do.

Maps bring out the kid in me, finding and sifting through the loot :)

Archeon
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:19:23 PM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:49:26 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've been thinking about the tamer, she is real lame. I bought the original
>animal lore&taming. I've played her quite a bit and only gained 10 skill
>points. It would take a year or two to get up to GM tamer. I'd have to be
>over 90 taming to be able to tame any real effective fighting monsters. If I
>decide on continuing taming, I think I will buy an advanced taming
>character. they start out at 85 taming and 85 lore.
>
>Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
>treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
>start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
>hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
>and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

On Baja, ask around for a rune to the Emerald Rune Library.
There's a whack o boxes set up for training your lock picker.
You will have to email/ICQ the owner for access.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:47:18 PM

Andrea2 wrote:
> I've been thinking about the tamer, she is real lame. I bought the original
> animal lore&taming. I've played her quite a bit and only gained 10 skill
> points. It would take a year or two to get up to GM tamer. I'd have to be
> over 90 taming to be able to tame any real effective fighting monsters. If I
> decide on continuing taming, I think I will buy an advanced taming
> character. they start out at 85 taming and 85 lore.

The group seems to argue about this a lot. I am of the mind: It is a RPG
tradition that some characters start out weaker and are slower to
develop then others but end up more powerful. Animal tamer is one of
them in UO.

It doesn't take a year if you can tolerate 2-3 hours of taming a day. My
S.O. seems to be getting about 10 points a week with her tamer, now at
67, so I would put it at ~two months. I wanted to see just how fast it
could get done recently so I started a new character at 50 taming on GL.
I think I spent something outrageous like 30,000 gold on taming jewelry
that added over 20 to the skill and it took about a month to get them to
white wyrm/nightmare stage. Only 83 real skill but the rings make all
the difference.

By all means buy a tamer if you don't find getting there fun. It used to
be more of an adventuring skill to raise. OSI had entire dungeons filled
with vermin of approximately the same level so you could tame top to
bottom. As you noticed dungeons like Shame now have scorpions mixed with
earth elementals which is a terrible match. Dungeons like Despise which
were a tamer dungeon now have 0.0 tamable creatures.

> Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
> treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
> start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
> hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
> and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

Lock picking is slow to advance if you don't use every trick. It is one
of the skills that will increase while adventuring which is why I like
it. Normally I just use a low level tinker to make up 20-30 lockable
chests and practice on those to just over 50 skill level. Some people
will say "Get 200 chests and macro it with UOA to 98 in a week" but I am
not one of them.

At just over 50 skill you can go to the Vesper bank and pick the crates
in the back room. They all have to be disarmed with telekinesis from ~4
steps away to keep from getting poisoned. You can do level one treasure
maps, "plainly drawn", at this stage too.

At ~72 skill you can move to the next room and unlock level 2 barrels,
kegs, crates which have ~100 gold, gem, scroll, maybe some regs. You can
also do this in dungeons and monster camps. You can also unlock expert
level map treasure chests. I leave the barrels and kegs in my bank box
over night and use them for house deco/storage.

At ~85 you can unlock level 3 chests with ~300 gold and magical loot.
You can still play it safe in the Vesper bank if you want. The
equivalent map is Adept.

At ~92-95 you can do level 4 chests with some pretty big loot. Something
like 600 gold per and lots of items.

The easy level 4 chests in Yew crypts are pretty much constantly camped
right now. I just go to the Trinsic bank in Felucca to avoid the crowds.

That kind of takes me to the area where I am more into it for the fun
then the practical game min/maxing. I have no trouble going to Felucca
with the character because after all, they are a kind of shady rogue.

Likewise one of my favorite spots in the game for picking level 4 chests
is the bottom of Covetous dungeon. After running down a couple of levels
you have to lead two mummies and a rotting corpse out of the room where
they spawn and lock them into a side cell. You have to get into the mind
set that tricking a monster out of the loot they guard is cooler then
killing them. Another favorite spot is putting on a Mask of Orcish Kin
and wandering around Orc Fort picking the level 2s and 3s there. If you
have a good connection and don't crash often, level 3 Despise has Ogre
Lord Isle which always has a bunch of head knockers and tamers trying to
kill the Ogre Lords. You just kind of dance around on the isle picking
the chests and staying out of the way.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 8:40:50 PM

I haven't been able to find the Emerald Rund Library. Asked many people but
nobody knows. Any idea where it is?

Andrea

"Jaeger Prelac" <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote in message

> On Baja, ask around for a rune to the Emerald Rune Library.
> There's a whack o boxes set up for training your lock picker.
> You will have to email/ICQ the owner for access.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 11:06:06 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:40:50 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I haven't been able to find the Emerald Rund Library. Asked many people but
>nobody knows. Any idea where it is?
>
>Andrea
>
>"Jaeger Prelac" <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>
>> On Baja, ask around for a rune to the Emerald Rune Library.
>> There's a whack o boxes set up for training your lock picker.
>> You will have to email/ICQ the owner for access.

Yes

It's on the west most island of Malas, past the Crumbling
Mountains. The island is triangle shaped, and the library is
almost dead center of the southern side, right on the "coast".
12.5N 46.11W
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:02:26 AM

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My tamer seems quite useless since she can't transfer tamed creatures to my
>other characters. I have been thinking of deleting her. Taming takes a lot
>of time to advance.

And you are repaid for that time with an awesome amount of PvM combat
capability. (Even a tamer in the 80's with a pack of Frenzies or a
pair of drakes or Bake Kitsune can accomplish quite a bit.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:03:05 PM

I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
her yet.

1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
getting killed?

2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
skills, and maybe the wrong ones:

Taming 36.2
A Lore 47.8
Vet 29.8
Mage 46.9
Med 66.9
Anatomy 30.0
Chivalry 35.2
Focus 60.1
Healing 45.0
Mag Res 47.7
Parrying 29.7
Swords 47.6
Tactics 51.7
Str - 74, Dex - 53, Int - 66

Any help on how to improve this template will be greatly appreciated.

Andrea

"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message

> And you are repaid for that time with an awesome amount of PvM combat
> capability. (Even a tamer in the 80's with a pack of Frenzies or a
> pair of drakes or Bake Kitsune can accomplish quite a bit.)
>
> D.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:27:09 AM

"Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
>her yet.
>
>1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
>my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
>getting killed?

There are essentially four different ways, and all require some
patience and practice;

1) Beat it down with magery. 2) Beat it down with provo or peace it.
3) Beat it down with lesser pet(s). 4) Grin and bear it, healing
yourself with magery or Healing.

*DO NOT use Paralyze.* A pet tamed after being paralyzed suffers a
skill/stat penalty. *DO NOT use Paralyze.*

In the end lead taming is a stone cold b___h and takes work to get it
right. You need to get within one tile to start the taming, and to
stay within two tiles to maintain it. Get too close, and you might
hit the animal you are attempting to tame, and abort the taming cycle.

Start with smaller aggressive pets that you can outrun, (giant rats,
alligators, spiders, scorpions, strongbats, in about that order), then
work up the magic users (imps, bake, mares, dragonkin).

>2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
>skills, and maybe the wrong ones:

You can effectively make a tamer with two professions, you have parts
of three there. :)  In descending order of popularity the typical
templates are: Peace/Tamer, Provo/Tamer, Mage/Tamer,
Treasure-Hunter/Tamer[1], Warrior/Tamer. There really isn't a 'best'
template.

[1]Thunter/Tamer is for the truly disturbed as it has three of the
worst can't-raise-by-normal-gameplay skills (taming, carto, picking)
all on one template.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
November 16, 2004 2:12:45 AM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:03:05 -0800, "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
>her yet.
>
>1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
>my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
>getting killed?
>
>2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
>skills, and maybe the wrong ones:
>
>Taming 36.2
>A Lore 47.8
>Vet 29.8
>Mage 46.9
>Med 66.9
>Anatomy 30.0
>Chivalry 35.2
>Focus 60.1
>Healing 45.0
>Mag Res 47.7
>Parrying 29.7
>Swords 47.6
>Tactics 51.7
>Str - 74, Dex - 53, Int - 66
>
>Any help on how to improve this template will be greatly appreciated.

I do not know what's "best", but my tamer has,
Taming 115
Animal Lore 110
Vet 110
Magery 100
EI 100
Med 100
Focus and Hiding take up the rest. Peace would be nice, but
just not enough room.

Stats are
Str 100
Int 100
Dex30

(I got the increase in stats with the vet reward last year).

I still find it hard to get in close with aggressive tameables, without
a friend to do some healing. Maybe I am just getting old and need
more help now days. :p

Ice
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:14:27 PM

Andrea2 wrote:
> I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
> her yet.
>
> 1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
> my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
> getting killed?

What Derek said and: I make a macro that goes something like
useskill taming
wait for target
Last target

It helps when you are trying to keep your distance. If you miss because
of fails or distance, you just hit it again.

Also, never wear anything with reflect physical damage and make sure you
hit the tab key so you are not in combat.

One of the easiest ways to tame lower level aggressives is have someone
else attack it and lead it around or hang it up. Only the tougher
animals like dragons target you when you try to tame. If a drake is
attacking/following someone else, you can run along behind it taming in
relative safety.

Then there is always the bank. Most tames like White Wyrms, Dragons,
Nightmares, sell for ~10,000 gold which you make back in 10 minutes of
owning them.

> 2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
> skills, and maybe the wrong ones:
>
> Taming 36.2
> A Lore 47.8
> Vet 29.8
> Mage 46.9

IMHO: Those are the only 4 you need. With the pet bonding you don't need
more then 75 magery to recall around and toss the occasional heal or cure.
What I consider good targets to operate effectively

I like 91 magery so I can cast invisibility w/o fail.

60 vet skill and 20 points of vet rings so you can res your own pets.

90+ lore because it is easy to get and means you don't need lore jewelry.

75 taming +20 points of taming jewelry. You swap this out with the vet
jewelry depending on hunting or resing. The 90+ lore with 95+ taming
when you have your jewelry on is enough to control a dragon.
> Med 66.9
> Focus 60.1

Med or focus is nice, you don't need both.
Maybe EI if you want to function w/o a pet occasionally.
> Parrying 29.7
> Swords 47.6
> Tactics 51.7

If you do make a tamer these will seem a little silly to you. Reason is
because you are taking some of the toughest stuff in the game that no
melee fighter can handle.
> Str - 74, Dex - 53, Int - 66

I would go something like 105 60 60. The higher your dex, the faster you
heal. You want the 50+ int so you can cast page 8 spells.

> Any help on how to improve this template will be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, my S.O. tamed her first drake last week. Her char's taming is only
68 but she had rings taking her to 88. I think she is happy with the
drake and taking some time off from taming. It really is tedious and she
complained constantly while raising skill.

*BUT* you don't have to go all the way to dragon taming to see what it
is about. Your mission should you decide to accept it is

Go to Delucia and tame 5 forest ostards. You can move ostards around by
just getting on them and recalling. Ostards have pack instincts which
means they are killers in herds.
Make up macros that say
"All kill"
"All guard me"
"All follow me"
"All stay"
Find some low level area w/o a huge spawn to practice in. Covetous level
one or Despise lizardman area are about aas tough as you want to go. You
can get the ostards there one at a time by recalling, get off, All stay,
back to wherever you have the other 4, get on one and recall to dungeon
entrance, repeat until you have them all there.

Managing the herd is a lot like some sims. Maybe you played WarCraft?
Having pets in UO converts it from a combat type action game to a Sim
type game like WarCraft. It is a completely different flavor that a lot
of people don't have a taste for.

At the end of the day you will have to let your ostards go since you
won't have stable room for them. Even if you did have room you probably
wouldn't want to keep them on a tamer character. Really disposible tames.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 7:33:39 PM

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D Hpmd.27937$KJ6.1638@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> Go to Delucia and tame 5 forest ostards. You can move ostards around by
> just getting on them and recalling. Ostards have pack instincts which
> means they are killers in herds.

I went to Delucia and couldn't find a single forest ostard. Maybe you caught
them all!

It is a good thing I didn't take my tamer, because I did find a lot of
medium grade nasties that would have given her a very hard time.

Andrea
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 3:45:08 AM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:33:39 -0800, "Andrea2"
<andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:D Hpmd.27937$KJ6.1638@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
>> Go to Delucia and tame 5 forest ostards. You can move ostards around by
>> just getting on them and recalling. Ostards have pack instincts which
>> means they are killers in herds.
>
>I went to Delucia and couldn't find a single forest ostard. Maybe you caught
>them all!
>
>It is a good thing I didn't take my tamer, because I did find a lot of
>medium grade nasties that would have given her a very hard time.
>
>Andrea

They're usually all along the east side of the Lost Lands. You might
start at Papua and stick to the right side of the screen below the swamp
and just explore until you find them. They never seem to spawn in any
predictable spot.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 3:45:09 AM

I went to Papua and hunted all around except north of the river. There were
hell hounds and other nasties over there. I didn't find any forest ostards.
I did find several frenzied ostards which tried to kill me and the desert
ostard I was riding. I found several other bad guys and managed to kill some
of them.

I found gorillas and grizzly bears and tamed several. They died trying to
defend me from the bad buys. I had to leave when I ran out of regents, she
only has a 71% LRC suit so spells fail a lot without regents.

I must be the worst hunter ever, not even one forest ostard.

Andrea

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p m7lp0tk1aveip2kkd2ghpov3aju6rh51u@4ax.com...

> They're usually all along the east side of the Lost Lands. You might
> start at Papua and stick to the right side of the screen below the swamp
> and just explore until you find them. They never seem to spawn in any
> predictable spot.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 6:58:01 PM

Andrea2 wrote:
> I didn't get there in time. The building was empty.
>
> Where, in respect to Papua, did you find them?

If you divide the area between Papua and Delucia into quarters
Ostards * Swamp
CoD * Ostards

In all that area there are only 5-6 ostards at any one time. It helps to
have 'show incoming' toggled in Options to pick them up.

There's also one or two in Haven. Kind of hard to find, you have to go
all the way to the southern most part of the islands and then all the
way east.

I've found them in Ilshenar too. IIRC they are between the Titans and
Ancient Wyrm areas. Not a good bet to go here as it is full of elder gazers.
!