My 6th character

I already have 5 characters:
Paladin (GM swords main character)
Mage (78 mage skill)
Tamer (40 tame skill)
Samurai (55 bushido)
Ninja ( 40 ninjitsu)

What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I have thought of a
crafter (smith, tinker, tailor) to make things for the other characters.

The Ninja character is fun to play but will never be much use in PVM (I
don't play PVP). What would it take for her to be able to sneak into
dungeons (like Doom) and rob things from chests (can good things can be
found in chests?). I've never open any chests they are always locked and
can't be opened by my mage. Is lockpicking the skill required or can keys be
used?

My tamer seems quite useless since she can't transfer tamed creatures to my
other characters. I have been thinking of deleting her. Taming takes a lot
of time to advance. There should be an account based stable so all
characters on the account could use stabled pets.

Andrea
21 answers Last reply
More about character
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:13:21 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I already have 5 characters:
    >Paladin (GM swords main character)
    >Mage (78 mage skill)
    >Tamer (40 tame skill)
    >Samurai (55 bushido)
    >Ninja ( 40 ninjitsu)
    >
    >What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I have thought of a
    >crafter (smith, tinker, tailor) to make things for the other characters.

    I'd say a crafter is probably the way to go. You won't be able to make
    anything that another player wants but it's very nice to be able to
    enhance and repair your own stuff. And who knows? Maybe they'll fix
    crafting one of these days so it's good for something more than that.

    Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    In what ways could I enhance my own stuff? I can already repair by buying
    repair contracts. It does sometimes lower the durability of the items, would
    repairing them by a crafter maintain their original durability?

    Andrea

    "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:13:21 -0800, "Andrea2"
    > <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    > I'd say a crafter is probably the way to go. You won't be able to make
    > anything that another player wants but it's very nice to be able to
    > enhance and repair your own stuff. And who knows? Maybe they'll fix
    > crafting one of these days so it's good for something more than that.
    >
    > Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:22:54 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >In what ways could I enhance my own stuff? I can already repair by buying
    >repair contracts. It does sometimes lower the durability of the items, would
    >repairing them by a crafter maintain their original durability?
    >
    >Andrea

    Well if you had a smith or tailor you could enhance good magic armor
    and weapons with different leather or metals to make it even better.
    That's where most of the best stuff comes from these days.

    You could also get into the bod game. With just a single crafter you
    won't get the very best rewards but it's not much trouble to keep
    yourself in powder of temperance so that you can restore the
    durability of your favourite armor or weapon when the repairs weaken
    it too much.

    I just find it more convenient to do my own repairs than to hunt
    around for repair deeds. The more damaged something is the more likely
    it is to lose a point of durability when you repair it so I do repairs
    pretty frequently.

    Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Andrea2 wrote:
    > I already have 5 characters:
    > Paladin (GM swords main character)
    > Mage (78 mage skill)
    > Tamer (40 tame skill)
    > Samurai (55 bushido)
    > Ninja ( 40 ninjitsu)
    >
    > What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I have thought of a
    > crafter (smith, tinker, tailor) to make things for the other characters.

    Consider a treasure hunter.

    The game is lousy with lockpickers lately for some reason, still it is a
    good profession to have. That takes care of 100 points.

    Cartography is relatively easy to gain, just tedious. Figure another 100
    skill points from the pool.

    The other 500 point you can just about do anything with.

    Magery at 91+ for recalling around, casting invisibility, disarming
    traps, is always good. Add either focus or meditation to round it out.
    Meditation if you are traveling light, focus if you want to do the spam
    in a can thing. Another 200 here gets it done.

    Which leave you with 300 for fooling. It isn't really enough to build a
    good head knocker because you can't get enough [parry, weapon, anatomy,
    tactics, magic resist] in 300 points to be effective.

    You can divide up those points between taming, lore, and veterinary, and
    have a pretty good character or just add Evaluate Intelligence and make
    them a mage type killing machine. That's a good option since you can
    make them a fisherman too. You get lots of junk like pictures and
    pillows from fishing. There are alternatives, like on S.P. my lockpicker
    is GM mage so he just summons a deamon to travel with him where ever he
    goes.

    It's kind of an aquired taste. I frequently run a rogue type character
    in RPGs. I get a lot of satisfaction from dungeon diving and avoiding
    monsters then just killing them.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    I've been thinking about the tamer, she is real lame. I bought the original
    animal lore&taming. I've played her quite a bit and only gained 10 skill
    points. It would take a year or two to get up to GM tamer. I'd have to be
    over 90 taming to be able to tame any real effective fighting monsters. If I
    decide on continuing taming, I think I will buy an advanced taming
    character. they start out at 85 taming and 85 lore.

    Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
    treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
    start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
    hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
    and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

    Andrea

    "Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Consider a treasure hunter.
    >
    > The game is lousy with lockpickers lately for some reason, still it is a
    > good profession to have. That takes care of 100 points.
    >
    > Cartography is relatively easy to gain, just tedious. Figure another 100
    > skill points from the pool.
    >
    > The other 500 point you can just about do anything with.
    >
    > Magery at 91+ for recalling around, casting invisibility, disarming traps,
    > is always good. Add either focus or meditation to round it out. Meditation
    > if you are traveling light, focus if you want to do the spam in a can
    > thing. Another 200 here gets it done.
    >
    > Which leave you with 300 for fooling. It isn't really enough to build a
    > good head knocker because you can't get enough [parry, weapon, anatomy,
    > tactics, magic resist] in 300 points to be effective.
    >
    > You can divide up those points between taming, lore, and veterinary, and
    > have a pretty good character or just add Evaluate Intelligence and make
    > them a mage type killing machine. That's a good option since you can make
    > them a fisherman too. You get lots of junk like pictures and pillows from
    > fishing. There are alternatives, like on S.P. my lockpicker is GM mage so
    > he just summons a deamon to travel with him where ever he goes.
    >
    > It's kind of an aquired taste. I frequently run a rogue type character in
    > RPGs. I get a lot of satisfaction from dungeon diving and avoiding
    > monsters then just killing them.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:49:26 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
    >treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
    >start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
    >hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
    >and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

    There are a set number of treasure locations, if you don't count the SOS
    bottles at sea. Once you know the locations (looking them up on Stratics
    or using UOAM) it's easy to dig them up. The difficulty is avoiding the
    spawn. The higher the level map/chest, the more and tougher monsters will
    spawn to protect it and kill you. It's pretty easy to raise lockpicking
    but it's very boring. Do you have UO Assist? You can go to your shard's
    lockpick training house, assuming it has one, and create macros to lock
    and pick the little red boxes that are GM Tinker crafted.

    There are a lot of little details you might want to read up on. Stratics
    has some quite detailed notes on Treasure Hunting as well as a forum
    specifically for it. You should be able to find out if your shard has a
    lockpick training house there at least.

    Garrett (after the Thief character), my treasure hunter has hiding and
    fencing instead of peacemaking and musicianship. Those are probably
    better though, especially for the higher level chests.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:13:21 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >What would be the best to use my 6th character slot? I

    My 6th character is named, "Gringotts", which if you're a Harry Potter
    fan should tell you all you need to know.
    --
    "Ceterum censeo delendam esse Spam."
    (With apologies to Cato the Elder.

    "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've
    > seen treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't
    > want to start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO
    > Treasure hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography,
    > peacemaking, magery and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a
    > treasure hunter?

    My Treasure-hunter/bard is my favourite character to play. A sweep of level
    3/4 dungeon chests will net you plenty of loot, and the higher level maps
    are a good challenge if you are playing solo.
    Her skills:
    Cartography 100 (need that for lvl 5 maps)
    Lockpicking 100
    Magery 100 (use EVs for many creatures)
    Meditation 100
    Music 120 (projected!)
    Provo 100
    Peace 100

    Of course she has no EI, so cannot cast direct damage spells, but an EV will
    tackle multiple targets in dungeons should you get tangled up in a fight...
    The object is really not to have to fight at all, and you can easily run
    through the 15 monsters a T-map spawns with this level of peace/provo;
    although the musical skills are slow to raise if you are playing them as I
    have, rather than training them intensely like some do.

    Maps bring out the kid in me, finding and sifting through the loot :)

    Archeon
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:49:26 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I've been thinking about the tamer, she is real lame. I bought the original
    >animal lore&taming. I've played her quite a bit and only gained 10 skill
    >points. It would take a year or two to get up to GM tamer. I'd have to be
    >over 90 taming to be able to tame any real effective fighting monsters. If I
    >decide on continuing taming, I think I will buy an advanced taming
    >character. they start out at 85 taming and 85 lore.
    >
    >Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
    >treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
    >start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
    >hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
    >and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

    On Baja, ask around for a rune to the Emerald Rune Library.
    There's a whack o boxes set up for training your lock picker.
    You will have to email/ICQ the owner for access.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Andrea2 wrote:
    > I've been thinking about the tamer, she is real lame. I bought the original
    > animal lore&taming. I've played her quite a bit and only gained 10 skill
    > points. It would take a year or two to get up to GM tamer. I'd have to be
    > over 90 taming to be able to tame any real effective fighting monsters. If I
    > decide on continuing taming, I think I will buy an advanced taming
    > character. they start out at 85 taming and 85 lore.

    The group seems to argue about this a lot. I am of the mind: It is a RPG
    tradition that some characters start out weaker and are slower to
    develop then others but end up more powerful. Animal tamer is one of
    them in UO.

    It doesn't take a year if you can tolerate 2-3 hours of taming a day. My
    S.O. seems to be getting about 10 points a week with her tamer, now at
    67, so I would put it at ~two months. I wanted to see just how fast it
    could get done recently so I started a new character at 50 taming on GL.
    I think I spent something outrageous like 30,000 gold on taming jewelry
    that added over 20 to the skill and it took about a month to get them to
    white wyrm/nightmare stage. Only 83 real skill but the rings make all
    the difference.

    By all means buy a tamer if you don't find getting there fun. It used to
    be more of an adventuring skill to raise. OSI had entire dungeons filled
    with vermin of approximately the same level so you could tame top to
    bottom. As you noticed dungeons like Shame now have scorpions mixed with
    earth elementals which is a terrible match. Dungeons like Despise which
    were a tamer dungeon now have 0.0 tamable creatures.

    > Treasure hunting sounds like fun. Where do you hunt for treasures? I've seen
    > treasure hunting maps. How fast does lockpicking advance? I wouldn't want to
    > start something it would take years to complete. I see the UO Treasure
    > hunting advanced character has lockpicking, cartography, peacemaking, magery
    > and musicianship. Are those the best skills for a treasure hunter?

    Lock picking is slow to advance if you don't use every trick. It is one
    of the skills that will increase while adventuring which is why I like
    it. Normally I just use a low level tinker to make up 20-30 lockable
    chests and practice on those to just over 50 skill level. Some people
    will say "Get 200 chests and macro it with UOA to 98 in a week" but I am
    not one of them.

    At just over 50 skill you can go to the Vesper bank and pick the crates
    in the back room. They all have to be disarmed with telekinesis from ~4
    steps away to keep from getting poisoned. You can do level one treasure
    maps, "plainly drawn", at this stage too.

    At ~72 skill you can move to the next room and unlock level 2 barrels,
    kegs, crates which have ~100 gold, gem, scroll, maybe some regs. You can
    also do this in dungeons and monster camps. You can also unlock expert
    level map treasure chests. I leave the barrels and kegs in my bank box
    over night and use them for house deco/storage.

    At ~85 you can unlock level 3 chests with ~300 gold and magical loot.
    You can still play it safe in the Vesper bank if you want. The
    equivalent map is Adept.

    At ~92-95 you can do level 4 chests with some pretty big loot. Something
    like 600 gold per and lots of items.

    The easy level 4 chests in Yew crypts are pretty much constantly camped
    right now. I just go to the Trinsic bank in Felucca to avoid the crowds.

    That kind of takes me to the area where I am more into it for the fun
    then the practical game min/maxing. I have no trouble going to Felucca
    with the character because after all, they are a kind of shady rogue.

    Likewise one of my favorite spots in the game for picking level 4 chests
    is the bottom of Covetous dungeon. After running down a couple of levels
    you have to lead two mummies and a rotting corpse out of the room where
    they spawn and lock them into a side cell. You have to get into the mind
    set that tricking a monster out of the loot they guard is cooler then
    killing them. Another favorite spot is putting on a Mask of Orcish Kin
    and wandering around Orc Fort picking the level 2s and 3s there. If you
    have a good connection and don't crash often, level 3 Despise has Ogre
    Lord Isle which always has a bunch of head knockers and tamers trying to
    kill the Ogre Lords. You just kind of dance around on the isle picking
    the chests and staying out of the way.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    I haven't been able to find the Emerald Rund Library. Asked many people but
    nobody knows. Any idea where it is?

    Andrea

    "Jaeger Prelac" <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote in message

    > On Baja, ask around for a rune to the Emerald Rune Library.
    > There's a whack o boxes set up for training your lock picker.
    > You will have to email/ICQ the owner for access.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:40:50 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I haven't been able to find the Emerald Rund Library. Asked many people but
    >nobody knows. Any idea where it is?
    >
    >Andrea
    >
    >"Jaeger Prelac" <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Baja, ask around for a rune to the Emerald Rune Library.
    >> There's a whack o boxes set up for training your lock picker.
    >> You will have to email/ICQ the owner for access.

    Yes

    It's on the west most island of Malas, past the Crumbling
    Mountains. The island is triangle shaped, and the library is
    almost dead center of the southern side, right on the "coast".
    12.5N 46.11W
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >My tamer seems quite useless since she can't transfer tamed creatures to my
    >other characters. I have been thinking of deleting her. Taming takes a lot
    >of time to advance.

    And you are repaid for that time with an awesome amount of PvM combat
    capability. (Even a tamer in the 80's with a pack of Frenzies or a
    pair of drakes or Bake Kitsune can accomplish quite a bit.)

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
    her yet.

    1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
    my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
    getting killed?

    2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
    skills, and maybe the wrong ones:

    Taming 36.2
    A Lore 47.8
    Vet 29.8
    Mage 46.9
    Med 66.9
    Anatomy 30.0
    Chivalry 35.2
    Focus 60.1
    Healing 45.0
    Mag Res 47.7
    Parrying 29.7
    Swords 47.6
    Tactics 51.7
    Str - 74, Dex - 53, Int - 66

    Any help on how to improve this template will be greatly appreciated.

    Andrea

    "Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > And you are repaid for that time with an awesome amount of PvM combat
    > capability. (Even a tamer in the 80's with a pack of Frenzies or a
    > pair of drakes or Bake Kitsune can accomplish quite a bit.)
    >
    > D.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
    >her yet.
    >
    >1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
    >my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
    >getting killed?

    There are essentially four different ways, and all require some
    patience and practice;

    1) Beat it down with magery. 2) Beat it down with provo or peace it.
    3) Beat it down with lesser pet(s). 4) Grin and bear it, healing
    yourself with magery or Healing.

    *DO NOT use Paralyze.* A pet tamed after being paralyzed suffers a
    skill/stat penalty. *DO NOT use Paralyze.*

    In the end lead taming is a stone cold b___h and takes work to get it
    right. You need to get within one tile to start the taming, and to
    stay within two tiles to maintain it. Get too close, and you might
    hit the animal you are attempting to tame, and abort the taming cycle.

    Start with smaller aggressive pets that you can outrun, (giant rats,
    alligators, spiders, scorpions, strongbats, in about that order), then
    work up the magic users (imps, bake, mares, dragonkin).

    >2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
    >skills, and maybe the wrong ones:

    You can effectively make a tamer with two professions, you have parts
    of three there. :) In descending order of popularity the typical
    templates are: Peace/Tamer, Provo/Tamer, Mage/Tamer,
    Treasure-Hunter/Tamer[1], Warrior/Tamer. There really isn't a 'best'
    template.

    [1]Thunter/Tamer is for the truly disturbed as it has three of the
    worst can't-raise-by-normal-gameplay skills (taming, carto, picking)
    all on one template.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:03:05 -0800, "Andrea2" <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
    >her yet.
    >
    >1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
    >my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
    >getting killed?
    >
    >2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
    >skills, and maybe the wrong ones:
    >
    >Taming 36.2
    >A Lore 47.8
    >Vet 29.8
    >Mage 46.9
    >Med 66.9
    >Anatomy 30.0
    >Chivalry 35.2
    >Focus 60.1
    >Healing 45.0
    >Mag Res 47.7
    >Parrying 29.7
    >Swords 47.6
    >Tactics 51.7
    >Str - 74, Dex - 53, Int - 66
    >
    >Any help on how to improve this template will be greatly appreciated.

    I do not know what's "best", but my tamer has,
    Taming 115
    Animal Lore 110
    Vet 110
    Magery 100
    EI 100
    Med 100
    Focus and Hiding take up the rest. Peace would be nice, but
    just not enough room.

    Stats are
    Str 100
    Int 100
    Dex30

    (I got the increase in stats with the vet reward last year).

    I still find it hard to get in close with aggressive tameables, without
    a friend to do some healing. Maybe I am just getting old and need
    more help now days. :p

    Ice
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Andrea2 wrote:
    > I have a lot of questions about tamers. I have not decided if I should keep
    > her yet.
    >
    > 1. How could she tame beasts like Bake Kitsune, they are real tough even for
    > my worrier and mage? How could she stay close enough to tame one without
    > getting killed?

    What Derek said and: I make a macro that goes something like
    useskill taming
    wait for target
    Last target

    It helps when you are trying to keep your distance. If you miss because
    of fails or distance, you just hit it again.

    Also, never wear anything with reflect physical damage and make sure you
    hit the tab key so you are not in combat.

    One of the easiest ways to tame lower level aggressives is have someone
    else attack it and lead it around or hang it up. Only the tougher
    animals like dragons target you when you try to tame. If a drake is
    attacking/following someone else, you can run along behind it taming in
    relative safety.

    Then there is always the bank. Most tames like White Wyrms, Dragons,
    Nightmares, sell for ~10,000 gold which you make back in 10 minutes of
    owning them.

    > 2. What is the best template for a tamer? My present one has too many
    > skills, and maybe the wrong ones:
    >
    > Taming 36.2
    > A Lore 47.8
    > Vet 29.8
    > Mage 46.9

    IMHO: Those are the only 4 you need. With the pet bonding you don't need
    more then 75 magery to recall around and toss the occasional heal or cure.
    What I consider good targets to operate effectively

    I like 91 magery so I can cast invisibility w/o fail.

    60 vet skill and 20 points of vet rings so you can res your own pets.

    90+ lore because it is easy to get and means you don't need lore jewelry.

    75 taming +20 points of taming jewelry. You swap this out with the vet
    jewelry depending on hunting or resing. The 90+ lore with 95+ taming
    when you have your jewelry on is enough to control a dragon.
    > Med 66.9
    > Focus 60.1

    Med or focus is nice, you don't need both.
    Maybe EI if you want to function w/o a pet occasionally.
    > Parrying 29.7
    > Swords 47.6
    > Tactics 51.7

    If you do make a tamer these will seem a little silly to you. Reason is
    because you are taking some of the toughest stuff in the game that no
    melee fighter can handle.
    > Str - 74, Dex - 53, Int - 66

    I would go something like 105 60 60. The higher your dex, the faster you
    heal. You want the 50+ int so you can cast page 8 spells.

    > Any help on how to improve this template will be greatly appreciated.

    FWIW, my S.O. tamed her first drake last week. Her char's taming is only
    68 but she had rings taking her to 88. I think she is happy with the
    drake and taking some time off from taming. It really is tedious and she
    complained constantly while raising skill.

    *BUT* you don't have to go all the way to dragon taming to see what it
    is about. Your mission should you decide to accept it is

    Go to Delucia and tame 5 forest ostards. You can move ostards around by
    just getting on them and recalling. Ostards have pack instincts which
    means they are killers in herds.
    Make up macros that say
    "All kill"
    "All guard me"
    "All follow me"
    "All stay"
    Find some low level area w/o a huge spawn to practice in. Covetous level
    one or Despise lizardman area are about aas tough as you want to go. You
    can get the ostards there one at a time by recalling, get off, All stay,
    back to wherever you have the other 4, get on one and recall to dungeon
    entrance, repeat until you have them all there.

    Managing the herd is a lot like some sims. Maybe you played WarCraft?
    Having pets in UO converts it from a combat type action game to a Sim
    type game like WarCraft. It is a completely different flavor that a lot
    of people don't have a taste for.

    At the end of the day you will have to let your ostards go since you
    won't have stable room for them. Even if you did have room you probably
    wouldn't want to keep them on a tamer character. Really disposible tames.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > Go to Delucia and tame 5 forest ostards. You can move ostards around by
    > just getting on them and recalling. Ostards have pack instincts which
    > means they are killers in herds.

    I went to Delucia and couldn't find a single forest ostard. Maybe you caught
    them all!

    It is a good thing I didn't take my tamer, because I did find a lot of
    medium grade nasties that would have given her a very hard time.

    Andrea
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:33:39 -0800, "Andrea2"
    <andrea6192001nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Go to Delucia and tame 5 forest ostards. You can move ostards around by
    >> just getting on them and recalling. Ostards have pack instincts which
    >> means they are killers in herds.
    >
    >I went to Delucia and couldn't find a single forest ostard. Maybe you caught
    >them all!
    >
    >It is a good thing I didn't take my tamer, because I did find a lot of
    >medium grade nasties that would have given her a very hard time.
    >
    >Andrea

    They're usually all along the east side of the Lost Lands. You might
    start at Papua and stick to the right side of the screen below the swamp
    and just explore until you find them. They never seem to spawn in any
    predictable spot.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    I went to Papua and hunted all around except north of the river. There were
    hell hounds and other nasties over there. I didn't find any forest ostards.
    I did find several frenzied ostards which tried to kill me and the desert
    ostard I was riding. I found several other bad guys and managed to kill some
    of them.

    I found gorillas and grizzly bears and tamed several. They died trying to
    defend me from the bad buys. I had to leave when I ran out of regents, she
    only has a 71% LRC suit so spells fail a lot without regents.

    I must be the worst hunter ever, not even one forest ostard.

    Andrea

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > They're usually all along the east side of the Lost Lands. You might
    > start at Papua and stick to the right side of the screen below the swamp
    > and just explore until you find them. They never seem to spawn in any
    > predictable spot.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Andrea2 wrote:
    > I didn't get there in time. The building was empty.
    >
    > Where, in respect to Papua, did you find them?

    If you divide the area between Papua and Delucia into quarters
    Ostards * Swamp
    CoD * Ostards

    In all that area there are only 5-6 ostards at any one time. It helps to
    have 'show incoming' toggled in Options to pick them up.

    There's also one or two in Haven. Kind of hard to find, you have to go
    all the way to the southern most part of the islands and then all the
    way east.

    I've found them in Ilshenar too. IIRC they are between the Titans and
    Ancient Wyrm areas. Not a good bet to go here as it is full of elder gazers.

Computers Games Video Games