no boot when drive plugged into ata raid

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I just did a total rebuild on my machine and I'm having the strangest problem that probably has the simplest solution.
My system:
DFI NFII Ultra B
Barton 2500+ @2.2ghz (200*11)
1GB OCZ PC3500 DDR (7,3,3,2)
(2) WD Raptors in raid0
(2) 120gb 7200rpm Maxtors
pioneer 16x slot dvd
Sapphire radeon 9800pro 256mb
ati TV wonder PCI
Vantec 520watt PSU
(CPU, Chipset and GPU are liquid cooled)

The thing that is giving me problems:
Koutech IOFUTURE IO-PIR133 ULTRA DMA/133 IDE HARD DISK CONTROLLER WITH RAID

I just recently had one of my 120gb hd's die on me and it contained about 3 or more yrs worth of data on it, I was pissed. I decided to do a raid1 on two 120's for data security. The NFII Ultra B didn't have onboard ide raid so I decided to buy an expasion card. I chose the koutech card not because it was cheap but because it's chipset was silicon image and silicon image has been very very good to me in the past. The koutech controller was also the only silicon image ata raid controller on newegg so I bought it. However it is giving me trouble. When ever I attach any devices (hard drive or cdrom) to it my machine will not boot. It posts fine but when it gets to it's boot attempt it will not boot off of anything, I simply get a invalid boot disk message after about 15min. As soon as I remove the device(s) from the card my machine boots to desktop in about 15 seconds.
I have tried cdroms on it and several hard drives and it does the same thing every time. I have tried reconfiguring the raid bios over and over but it doesn't help. I have tried attaching the devices to one ide channel, then the other and both at once but nothing changes.
Everything works perfectly until I plug anything into the ide controller, I have never encountered this kind of problem before. If anyone has any ideas I would sure like to hear em!
thanks,
Folken

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I have fixed the problem. It turned out to be the simplest, stupidest thing possible. The slot I plugged the card into which I chose at random was sharing resorces with the onboard sata raid. I thought we had moved past IRQ conflicts! Oh well, I guess even now I have to take them into account.