Restricting email and web access

A friend of mine runs a small business and wants to prevent some users from
accessing the web or sending emails from the shared work PC. Each user has a
separate logon. What's the best way to prevent particular users from
accessing the web via a browser or sending email?

My friend isn't particularly a killjoy, but web access is via dialup and
there has been confusion in the past by private emails being associated with
the business.

Thanks,

Paul

Malke

Paul Andrews wrote:

> A friend of mine runs a small business and wants to prevent some users
> from accessing the web or sending emails from the shared work PC. Each
> user has a separate logon. What's the best way to prevent particular
> users from accessing the web via a browser or sending email?
>
> My friend isn't particularly a killjoy, but web access is via dialup
> and there has been confusion in the past by private emails being
> associated with the business.

Your friend has every right to decide how his computers will be used at
his business. You didn't say if the computers are running XP Pro and
whether or not they are in a domain. If Pro, your friend can create
very fine-grained permissions with the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run
gpedit.msc [enter]). If he is unsure how to do this, then he should
hire a computer professional to set up his business machines correctly.
For more specific questions regarding using the Group Policy Editor,
you can post in this newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

Malke
--