Sign in with
Your question

Fresh windows install, old program drive

Last response: in Windows 7
August 2, 2012 5:31:04 PM

Hey all, I appreciate any help with this problem.

I'm looking to do a fresh install of Win 7 (mostly just to reorganize my HDD setup) and here's the catch - I have a secondary drive with all my games, program files, data, etc. and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to get the new Windows install to recognize these applications without having to reinstall them all. I know I could go into the registry and change keys, but that would probably take longer than reinstalling them all.
August 2, 2012 5:39:46 PM

No easy way then to reinstall. Why are you looking to reinstall Win 7? What do you mean by "reorganize my HDD setup"?
m
l
August 2, 2012 5:50:03 PM

Well I have windows 7 on a 500gb hard drive with a separate partition for my music collection, I have an old 300 gig drive that I use as a DVR, and a terabyte drive that has most of my data and programs on it. The 500Gb drive is the oldest of the 3 and rather than wait for it to fail I'd like to install windows onto the terabyte drive and reorganize how the rest is partitioned/used. I have everything backed up, so I can just copy files to whichever drive I decide to use after the install.

I know you can use mklink /j to create junctions, and that should work, but I'm not entirely sure that's the best solution for the long term. Mostly I'm just trying to save time as reinstalling 500Gb of games and programs will take a couple days worth of free time.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 5:50:22 PM

And actually, now that I think about it, the mklink /j idea probably won't work with a fresh install. Man, I don't really want to reinstall everything if there's anyway to avoid it
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:13:57 AM

Why you need fresh install, maybe you could try some partition software to migrate OS without reinstalling.
m
l
!