What Phonograph?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 22, 2004 8:15:16 PM

I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.

So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new phonograph
for my home.

I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?

I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is

Quagga

More about : phonograph

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:32:33 PM

The Rega P9 is the best set-and-forget table. Avid makes some nice
units as well, but are more expensive. The Rega P9 is not inexpensive,
but Rega also has more affordable models that have all been rated best
in class. Lucky for you they are both English brands and are available
all over the UK.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
>
> So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new
phonograph
> for my home.
>
> I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
>
> I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is
>
> Quagga

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:08:57 AM

"Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
>
> So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new phonograph
> for my home.
>
> I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
>
> I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is

Money not an issue, OK, how about $73,000?
http://www.stereophile.com//analogsourcereviews/258/
August 25, 2004 3:29:38 AM

I can't recommend the Michell Engineering GyroDec highly enough. I
have an original model, I guess nearly 25 years old now, and still
going strong. I've been able to upgrade the deck to current spec in a
number of areas. I could have upgraded it in all areas, but because
it's an original model, I've kept to upgrades that keep it looking
original, so I've just got a new bearing and springs, and recently a
new motor. My original AC motor was getting a little old, so I ordered
and fitted the new DC motor, which is quite superior to my elderly
original.

The deck is built very solidly, and unlike some decks, does not drift
over time. Once set, it stays set. It looks exceptionally good, can
take some very good arms, although works well with the cheaper Rega's
if you're on an budget.

Graeme

"Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<cgagqk01u3l@news1.newsguy.com>...
> I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
>
> So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new phonograph
> for my home.
>
> I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
>
> I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is
>
> Quagga
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:30:09 AM

On 23 Aug 2004 23:08:57 GMT, "Norman Schwartz"
<NSchwartz35@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
>>
>> So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new phonograph
>> for my home.
>>
>> I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?

Almost everyone would agree that it's the Rockport Sirius III.

>> I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is
>>

>Money not an issue, OK, how about $73,000?
>http://www.stereophile.com//analogsourcereviews/258/

Quite so, and don't forget another $5-10k for a top-class cartridge.
Payor seems to favour the Clearaudio Insider.

OTOH, the Rockport may not be *significantly* superior to the SME 30,
a snip at ten grand.

August 25, 2004 3:44:06 AM

Uptown Audio wrote:
> The Rega P9 is the best set-and-forget table. Avid makes some nice
> units as well, but are more expensive. The Rega P9 is not inexpensive,
> but Rega also has more affordable models that have all been rated best
> in class. Lucky for you they are both English brands and are available
> all over the UK.
> -Bill
> www.uptownaudio.com
> Roanoke VA
> (540) 343-1250
>

> "Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
>>
>>So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new
>
> phonograph
>
>>for my home.
>>
>>I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
>>
>>I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is
>>
>>Quagga

What do you, and everyone else think of the Music Hall series, like the
MMF 5 and 7? I was hoping to get one of those one day. So far I'm
hearing that the MMF 5 tends to have quality control issues.

Back in the day I remember the Rega Planar 3, so I have no doubt of the
P9s steller reputation.

CD
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 3:22:55 AM

>Subject: Re: What Phonograph?
>From: Stewart Pinkerton patent3@dircon.co.uk
>Date: 8/24/2004 4:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On 23 Aug 2004 23:08:57 GMT, "Norman Schwartz"
><NSchwartz35@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
>>>
>>> So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new phonograph
>>> for my home.
>>>
>>> I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
>
>Almost everyone would agree that it's the Rockport Sirius III.

I would not be one of them. I like the Forsell Air Reference better followed by
the Walker Procenium Gold with all the fixins.

>>> I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is
>>>

>>Money not an issue, OK, how about $73,000?
>>http://www.stereophile.com//analogsourcereviews/258/
>
>Quite so, and don't forget another $5-10k for a top-class cartridge.
>Payor seems to favour the Clearaudio Insider.
>
>OTOH, the Rockport may not be *significantly* superior to the SME 30,
>a snip at ten grand.

The SME 30 is about 30K here in the U.S. Is it that much cheaper in the U.K. ?
The price you cite is about half that.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 3:30:40 AM

It's now called the P3 and is still the best value around. They now
have a P5 for a bit more that includes a super new arm, the RB700. I
like the MH stuff well enough, but it does have a lack of the fit and
finish of most other brands. They also have a more warm or soft sound,
which is also quiet, yet not as transparent as that of the Rega
tables. They both have their fans and both have good sound for the
money. Put them side by side and the differences are rather obvious.
The MH looks better in photos and the Rega in person. Oddly, the Rega
P9 looks similar in construction to the P3 in photos, but when you see
it in person, it is so obviously superior in fit and finish as to be
immediately recognizable as the superior deck. Turntables are
exclusively mechanical devices designed to pick-up the smallest of
vibrations and to do this perfectly, must make none of their own, so
fit and finish is everything.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Codifus" <codifus@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Uptown Audio wrote:
> > The Rega P9 is the best set-and-forget table. Avid makes some nice
> > units as well, but are more expensive. The Rega P9 is not
inexpensive,
> > but Rega also has more affordable models that have all been rated
best
> > in class. Lucky for you they are both English brands and are
available
> > all over the UK.
> > -Bill
> > www.uptownaudio.com
> > Roanoke VA
> > (540) 343-1250
> >

> > "Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.
> >>
> >>So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new
> >
> > phonograph
> >
> >>for my home.
> >>
> >>I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
> >>
> >>I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is
> >>
> >>Quagga
> >>

> What do you, and everyone else think of the Music Hall series, like
the
> MMF 5 and 7? I was hoping to get one of those one day. So far I'm
> hearing that the MMF 5 tends to have quality control issues.
>
> Back in the day I remember the Rega Planar 3, so I have no doubt of
the
> P9s steller reputation.
>
> CD
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:18:36 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 23:22:55 GMT, s888wheel@aol.com (S888Wheel) wrote:

>>Subject: Re: What Phonograph?
>>From: Stewart Pinkerton patent3@dircon.co.uk

>>OTOH, the Rockport may not be *significantly* superior to the SME 30,
>>a snip at ten grand.
>
>The SME 30 is about 30K here in the U.S. Is it that much cheaper in the U.K. ?
>The price you cite is about half that.

Pounds, not dollars.............. :-)

August 27, 2004 3:26:44 AM

"S888Wheel" <s888wheel@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Subject: Re: What Phonograph?
> >From: Stewart Pinkerton patent3@dircon.co.uk
> >Date: 8/24/2004 4:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
> >
> >On 23 Aug 2004 23:08:57 GMT, "Norman Schwartz"
> ><NSchwartz35@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>"Quagga R.T.M." <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> >Almost everyone would agree that it's the Rockport Sirius III.
>
> I would not be one of them. I like the Forsell Air Reference better
followed by
> the Walker Procenium Gold with all the fixins.

I agree, the Forsell Air Reference seriously advanced my understanding of
what was possible from vinyl. Throwing money at the vinyl front end IMO
doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. When I heard the Goldmund Reference
I much preferred the sound of the lesser Goldmund Studio, likewise the Basis
turntables compared to Michell products. And who knows.... the rich may be
buying certain high-end turntables just for an engineering work of art (o:

Mike
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:23:21 AM

Quagga R.T.M. <quagga.r.t.m@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I'm selling my DJ equipment, but keeping most of my records.

Out of curiosity, which turntables did you use ?

> So, I want to spend the money I get (= more if needed) on a new phonograph
> for my home.

> I want the ULTIMATE! ........... but don't know what that is?
> I'm in the UK. Money is not an issue. Quality is

One that looks interesting: The Laser Turntable, which reads vinyl
records using a set of lasers (no contact, with all the advantages
that implies). The manufacturer claims that "scratches are inaudible".
OTOH, I read elsewhere that it is (very ?) sensitive to dust.

LT-1LRC Plays LPs and singles
7", 10" and 12" , @ 33 and 45 rpm £8,500

http://www.laser-vinyl.com/Turntables/Laser/TheLaserTur...
http://www.laser-vinyl.com/Turntables/Laser/HowItWorks....
http://www.laser-vinyl.com/Turntables/Laser/Laser_Revie...

In the website of hifichoice magazine you can find some turntable reviews
(from £125 to £7500):

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_list.asp?category=TT...

And cartridges:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_list.asp?category=CR...

The tonearms page is empty:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_list.asp?category=TO...

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:15:02 PM

On 26 Aug 2004 23:26:44 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
<mike@tfjazz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"S888Wheel" <s888wheel@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >Subject: Re: What Phonograph?
>> >From: Stewart Pinkerton patent3@dircon.co.uk
>> >Date: 8/24/2004 4:30 PM Pacific Standard Time

>> >Almost everyone would agree that it's the Rockport Sirius III.
>>
>> I would not be one of them. I like the Forsell Air Reference better
>followed by
>> the Walker Procenium Gold with all the fixins.
>
>I agree, the Forsell Air Reference seriously advanced my understanding of
>what was possible from vinyl. Throwing money at the vinyl front end IMO
>doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. When I heard the Goldmund Reference
>I much preferred the sound of the lesser Goldmund Studio, likewise the Basis
>turntables compared to Michell products. And who knows.... the rich may be
>buying certain high-end turntables just for an engineering work of art (o:

And to be fair, it should be noted that Stereophile of March 2003
contains a review of the SME 30/2, wherein Michael Fremer concludes
that it is at least on a par with the mighty Rockport Sirius III, and
has better bass. Hence, our advice to the OP who claims to have no
budget problems, might well be to buy the SME30/2 with SME V arm and
Clearaudio Insider cartridge, and use the change to buy better
speakers!

August 29, 2004 11:05:02 PM

>From: Stewart Pinkerton patent3@dircon.co.uk
>Date: 8/27/2004 12:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On 26 Aug 2004 23:26:44 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
><mike@tfjazz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>"S888Wheel" <s888wheel@aol.com> wrote in message

>phonograph

>>> I would not be one of them. I like the Forsell Air Reference better
>>followed by
>>> the Walker Procenium Gold with all the fixins.
>>
>>I agree, the Forsell Air Reference seriously advanced my understanding of
>>what was possible from vinyl. Throwing money at the vinyl front end IMO
>>doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. When I heard the Goldmund Reference
>>I much preferred the sound of the lesser Goldmund Studio, likewise the Basis
>>turntables compared to Michell products. And who knows.... the rich may be
>>buying certain high-end turntables just for an engineering work of art (o:
>
>And to be fair, it should be noted that Stereophile of March 2003
>contains a review of the SME 30/2, wherein Michael Fremer concludes
>that it is at least on a par with the mighty Rockport Sirius III, and
>has better bass. Hence, our advice to the OP who claims to have no
>budget problems, might well be to buy the SME30/2 with SME V arm and
>Clearaudio Insider cartridge, and use the change to buy better
>speakers!
>--
>
>Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

Nothing wrong with that recomendation however, personally I would rather
recomend the Forsell, preferably with the airbearing flywheel, if Dr. Peter
Forsell is still offering them or a Walker Procenium Gold with all the fixins.
I'd also recomend the Aurios 1.0 isolation bearings under a near 0 shore
hardness elastomer sandwiched by two 1" thick (minimum) acrylic slabs for
isolation. I'd also recomend a Koetsu cartridge. I like the Rosewood pro IV
best.
!