120GB HDD+Win98+scandisk=problems

Stalker

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Hi. This is my problem:
I resently bought a 120GB harddrive (Western Digital, 8MB cache) and put it in my computer as master on an ATA100 promise controller, my primary harddrive is a 40GB WD. I couldn't partition the new drive in Win98 because I needed to upgrade fdisk to handle large drives so I started up Windows XP and partitioned it there(~110+5+5GB), and then went back to Win98 and formatted the partitions there. Now, every time I start the computer scandisk runs but doesn't report any errors. When I'm in windows some files get corrupted and if I run scandisk it alwasy says that the first mediabyte is missing or damaged and that the FAT is corrupted or damaged and suggests using the backup. If I correct the problems I lose a file but the next time I start the computer I get the same problem with a new file.
I have done a complete surface check with Western Digital Data Life Guard and there's no problem there, also if I use WinXP I don't have any problem with the drive. Unfortunately using XP as my primary system isn't an option because it's incredibly unstable on my computer. Any ideas? I'll be happy for any suggestions.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I never had that problem with 98SE, you could get a 98SE bootdisk from bootdisk.com

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
probably a problem of incompatability between NTFS and fat 32. NTFS can read fat 32 but not the other way around. Bottom line....a drive even partially setup with XP will not work with win 98. FDISK the drive again using win98 and setup partitions max size of 40GB. Format using win98 and all should be well.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

Stalker

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Thanks, I will try to partition it with the updated version of fdisk and see if that helps, if it doesn't then I will try W98SE.