IE hasn't worked in 2 weeks, PLEASE HELP

I have recently begun to experience problems with my laptop's ability to view
web pages. Instead of trying to load the site as normal, it attempts to
download it as a file, prompting me to save it. Obviously, regardless of
whether I click "Save" or "Cancel", it fails to download anything. The
internet connection itself is fine. Programs such as AIM that require
connection are functioning normally.
The computer is an HP Pavillion and it is running XP and Internet Explorer.
This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and HP Tech Support was no
help at all. Looking for any possible suggestions for fixes. Thank you.

Asked/Answered in IE6 Browser newsgroup.

Snelj23 wrote:
> I have recently begun to experience problems with my laptop's ability to
> view web pages. Instead of trying to load the site as normal, it attempts
> to download it as a file, prompting me to save it. Obviously, regardless
> of whether I click "Save" or "Cancel", it fails to download anything. The
> internet connection itself is fine. Programs such as AIM that require
> connection are functioning normally.
> The computer is an HP Pavillion and it is running XP and Internet
> Explorer. This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and HP Tech
> Support was no help at all. Looking for any possible suggestions for
> fixes. Thank you.

kelly

What was the answer, Bear?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Asked/Answered in IE6 Browser newsgroup.
>
> Snelj23 wrote:
>> I have recently begun to experience problems with my laptop's ability to
>> view web pages. Instead of trying to load the site as normal, it attempts
>> to download it as a file, prompting me to save it. Obviously, regardless
>> of whether I click "Save" or "Cancel", it fails to download anything.
>> The
>> internet connection itself is fine. Programs such as AIM that require
>> connection are functioning normally.
>> The computer is an HP Pavillion and it is running XP and Internet
>> Explorer. This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and HP Tech
>> Support was no help at all. Looking for any possible suggestions for
>> fixes. Thank you.

Try ControlPanel>FolderOptions>FileTypes
and ensure HTML opens with IE.

HTH-Larry

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:56:03 -0700, "Snelj23"
<Snelj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|I have recently begun to experience problems with my laptop's ability to view
|web pages. Instead of trying to load the site as normal, it attempts to
|download it as a file, prompting me to save it. Obviously, regardless of
|whether I click "Save" or "Cancel", it fails to download anything. The
|internet connection itself is fine. Programs such as AIM that require
|connection are functioning normally.
|The computer is an HP Pavillion and it is running XP and Internet Explorer.
|This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and HP Tech Support was no
|help at all. Looking for any possible suggestions for fixes. Thank you.

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

As long as you do not have Netscape 8 installed (because of the XML bug),
you should first download and run

Winsockxpfix.exe

to rebuild the TCP/IP protocol stack.

"Snelj23" <Snelj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently begun to experience problems with my laptop's ability to
>view
> web pages. Instead of trying to load the site as normal, it attempts to
> download it as a file, prompting me to save it. Obviously, regardless of
> whether I click "Save" or "Cancel", it fails to download anything. The
> internet connection itself is fine. Programs such as AIM that require
> connection are functioning normally.
> The computer is an HP Pavillion and it is running XP and Internet
> Explorer.
> This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and HP Tech Support was no
> help at all. Looking for any possible suggestions for fixes. Thank you.

"Snelj23" <Snelj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have recently begun to experience problems with my laptop's ability to
view
| web pages. Instead of trying to load the site as normal, it attempts to
| download it as a file, prompting me to save it. Obviously, regardless of
| whether I click "Save" or "Cancel", it fails to download anything. The
| internet connection itself is fine. Programs such as AIM that require
| connection are functioning normally.
| The computer is an HP Pavillion and it is running XP and Internet
Explorer.
| This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and HP Tech Support was no
| help at all. Looking for any possible suggestions for fixes. Thank you.

http://www.firefox.com/

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;318378&spid=2578&sid=global

regards,
ssg MS-MVP