As a restricted user, how can I limit program viewing

I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you all for
being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I listed my
grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and consequently execute
any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by not having him see my
program list? I don't worry about anything with my grandson, but I don't
like his friends to try anything when they are on the computer with
him.......Opa Peter
7 answers Last reply
More about restricted user limit program viewing

    PeterM wrote:

    > I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you
    > all for being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I
    > listed my grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and
    > consequently execute any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by
    > not having him see my program list? I don't worry about anything with
    > my grandson, but I don't like his friends to try anything when they
    > are on the computer with him.......Opa Peter

    I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
    necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
    one."

    Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
    want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
    Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
    menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
    to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
    the actual programs.

    You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
    are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
    problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
    communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
    him to behave on your computer.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for remembering that line, Malke and re-posting it. I use it often
    in my daily offline life. :o)

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > PeterM wrote:
    >
    >> I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you
    >> all for being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I
    >> listed my grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and
    >> consequently execute any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by
    >> not having him see my program list? I don't worry about anything with
    >> my grandson, but I don't like his friends to try anything when they
    >> are on the computer with him.......Opa Peter
    >
    > I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
    > necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
    > one."
    >
    > Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
    > want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
    > Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
    > menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
    > to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
    > the actual programs.
    >
    > You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
    > are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
    > problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
    > communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
    > him to behave on your computer.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes, I love the line as well, and it shows your wonderful work here. I trust
    my grandson, he is 15, and get along with him super. One of his friends, is
    a pushy kind of nerd, but very nice, and he overpowers my grandson, and then
    before we know it he's in everything. I got a promise from both that it will
    stop. I do talk to them, and all is well. I just like to not have them take
    a chance and mess up my careful organized computer. I'm a little on the
    paranoid side. That comes with age, I think............Bless you all Kelly,
    Malke and the other wonderful contributors to my ever growing
    knowledge..............Opa Peter

    > Thanks for remembering that line, Malke and re-posting it. I use it often
    > in my daily offline life. :o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
    >> PeterM wrote:
    >>
    >>> I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you
    >>> all for being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I
    >>> listed my grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and
    >>> consequently execute any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by
    >>> not having him see my program list? I don't worry about anything with
    >>> my grandson, but I don't like his friends to try anything when they
    >>> are on the computer with him.......Opa Peter
    >>
    >> I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
    >> necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
    >> one."
    >>
    >> Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
    >> want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
    >> Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
    >> menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
    >> to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
    >> the actual programs.
    >>
    >> You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
    >> are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
    >> problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
    >> communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
    >> him to behave on your computer.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I forgot to thank you both Malke and Kelly for the reply to my question.
    Malke, when I go to the place you suggested, "programs" and I delete several
    of the programs, will that then also disappear from my view as well. I
    deleted one of them, and noticed that it was also gone from my view as well.
    I'm sure I can find the executable and but the shortcut on the desktop
    again, but maybe I didn't do it right. My grandson really only likes to be
    in touch with his friends, and he did it with AOL Instant messenger. I gave
    him temporary admin rights to download the program, and when it worked, I
    made him a restricted user again. It seemed to have worked that way. So he
    doesn't even have to see/use any of my programs. Isn't there a way to just
    have no program view. I did download Mr. Knox's security console for XP Home
    users, but still had no time reading the user guide yet............Many
    thanks again..............Opa Peter

    PeterM wrote:

    > I forgot to thank you both Malke and Kelly for the reply to my
    > question. Malke, when I go to the place you suggested, "programs" and
    > I delete several of the programs, will that then also disappear from
    > my view as well. I deleted one of them, and noticed that it was also
    > gone from my view as well. I'm sure I can find the executable and but
    > the shortcut on the desktop again, but maybe I didn't do it right. My
    > grandson really only likes to be in touch with his friends, and he did
    > it with AOL Instant messenger. I gave him temporary admin rights to
    > download the program, and when it worked, I made him a restricted user
    > again. It seemed to have worked that way. So he doesn't even have to
    > see/use any of my programs. Isn't there a way to just have no program
    > view. I did download Mr. Knox's security console for XP Home users,
    > but still had no time reading the user guide yet............Many
    > thanks again..............Opa Peter

    When you Explore All Users, you'll see entries for All Users *and* each
    user on the system. You can manage what your grandson sees on his Start
    Menu separately from what you see, etc. Don't be afraid to expand all
    the Start Menu entries and compare what shows in each account.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, I love the line as well, and it shows your wonderful work here. I
    trust
    > my grandson, he is 15, and get along with him super. One of his friends,
    is
    > a pushy kind of nerd, but very nice, and he overpowers my grandson, and
    then
    > before we know it he's in everything. I got a promise from both that it
    will
    > stop. I do talk to them, and all is well. I just like to not have them
    take
    > a chance and mess up my careful organized computer. I'm a little on the
    > paranoid side. That comes with age, I think............Bless you all
    Kelly,
    > Malke and the other wonderful contributors to my ever growing
    > knowledge..............Opa Peter

    I don't remember seeing anyone make this comment (sorry if I missed
    it) - I would very strongly suggest you make a good backup of at least
    your important data. My preference is to make an image of the drive
    (I use driveImage, but there are a number of utilities out there). Even
    if they don't trash your "careful organized computer", a disk crash will
    (and they happen). With a good image, worst case is you reload the
    system from the image and are back to where you were before whatever
    happened.

    mikey (who thinks that while he is thinking about it, it is a good time
    to make another backup of his machine ! )

    Hello Mike, I got that advise right away from a very thoughtful person like
    yourself. I appreciate you both very much. I did that right away. I'm
    sitting here with a fresh image of my computer. Just in case. I used Acronis
    Image 8.0 .......Peter

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Yes, I love the line as well, and it shows your wonderful work here. I
    > trust
    >> my grandson, he is 15, and get along with him super. One of his friends,
    > is
    >> a pushy kind of nerd, but very nice, and he overpowers my grandson, and
    > then
    >> before we know it he's in everything. I got a promise from both that it
    > will
    >> stop. I do talk to them, and all is well. I just like to not have them
    > take
    >> a chance and mess up my careful organized computer. I'm a little on the
    >> paranoid side. That comes with age, I think............Bless you all
    > Kelly,
    >> Malke and the other wonderful contributors to my ever growing
    >> knowledge..............Opa Peter
    >
    > I don't remember seeing anyone make this comment (sorry if I missed
    > it) - I would very strongly suggest you make a good backup of at least
    > your important data. My preference is to make an image of the drive
    > (I use driveImage, but there are a number of utilities out there). Even
    > if they don't trash your "careful organized computer", a disk crash will
    > (and they happen). With a good image, worst case is you reload the
    > system from the image and are back to where you were before whatever
    > happened.
    >
    > mikey (who thinks that while he is thinking about it, it is a good time
    > to make another backup of his machine ! )

Microsoft Windows XP