As a restricted user, how can I limit program viewing

June 8, 2005 12:12:03 AM

I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you all for
being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I listed my
grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and consequently execute
any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by not having him see my
program list? I don't worry about anything with my grandson, but I don't
like his friends to try anything when they are on the computer with
him.......Opa Peter
June 8, 2005 12:49:21 AM

PeterM wrote:

> I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you
> all for being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I
> listed my grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and
> consequently execute any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by
> not having him see my program list? I don't worry about anything with
> my grandson, but I don't like his friends to try anything when they
> are on the computer with him.......Opa Peter

I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
one."

Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
the actual programs.

You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
him to behave on your computer.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for remembering that line, Malke and re-posting it. I use it often
in my daily offline life. :o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> PeterM wrote:
>
>> I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you
>> all for being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I
>> listed my grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and
>> consequently execute any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by
>> not having him see my program list? I don't worry about anything with
>> my grandson, but I don't like his friends to try anything when they
>> are on the computer with him.......Opa Peter
>
> I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
> necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
> one."
>
> Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
> want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
> Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
> menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
> to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
> the actual programs.
>
> You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
> are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
> problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
> communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
> him to behave on your computer.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
June 8, 2005 11:05:19 AM

Yes, I love the line as well, and it shows your wonderful work here. I trust
my grandson, he is 15, and get along with him super. One of his friends, is
a pushy kind of nerd, but very nice, and he overpowers my grandson, and then
before we know it he's in everything. I got a promise from both that it will
stop. I do talk to them, and all is well. I just like to not have them take
a chance and mess up my careful organized computer. I'm a little on the
paranoid side. That comes with age, I think............Bless you all Kelly,
Malke and the other wonderful contributors to my ever growing
knowledge..............Opa Peter

> Thanks for remembering that line, Malke and re-posting it. I use it often
> in my daily offline life. :o )
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> PeterM wrote:
>>
>>> I received so much help here, I need to donate money soon. Thank you
>>> all for being so generous with your help. One more question came up, I
>>> listed my grandson as a restricted user, but he can still see and
>>> consequently execute any of my programs. Can I restrict his view, by
>>> not having him see my program list? I don't worry about anything with
>>> my grandson, but I don't like his friends to try anything when they
>>> are on the computer with him.......Opa Peter
>>
>> I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
>> necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
>> one."
>>
>> Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
>> want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
>> Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
>> menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
>> to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
>> the actual programs.
>>
>> You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
>> are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
>> problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
>> communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
>> him to behave on your computer.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 8, 2005 11:17:11 AM

I forgot to thank you both Malke and Kelly for the reply to my question.
Malke, when I go to the place you suggested, "programs" and I delete several
of the programs, will that then also disappear from my view as well. I
deleted one of them, and noticed that it was also gone from my view as well.
I'm sure I can find the executable and but the shortcut on the desktop
again, but maybe I didn't do it right. My grandson really only likes to be
in touch with his friends, and he did it with AOL Instant messenger. I gave
him temporary admin rights to download the program, and when it worked, I
made him a restricted user again. It seemed to have worked that way. So he
doesn't even have to see/use any of my programs. Isn't there a way to just
have no program view. I did download Mr. Knox's security console for XP Home
users, but still had no time reading the user guide yet............Many
thanks again..............Opa Peter

"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes, I love the line as well, and it shows your wonderful work here. I
> trust my grandson, he is 15, and get along with him super. One of his
> friends, is a pushy kind of nerd, but very nice, and he overpowers my
> grandson, and then before we know it he's in everything. I got a promise
> from both that it will stop. I do talk to them, and all is well. I just
> like to not have them take a chance and mess up my careful organized
> computer. I'm a little on the paranoid side. That comes with age, I
> think............Bless you all Kelly, Malke and the other wonderful
> contributors to my ever growing knowledge..............Opa Peter

>> Thanks for remembering that line, Malke and re-posting it. I use it
>> often in my daily offline life. :o )
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm glad you are enjoying the help you get here - no donations
>>> necessary! As MVP Kelly Theriot said beautifully, "Each one, teach
>>> one."
>>>
>>> Anyway, you can make your grandson's Programs menu show anything you
>>> want. Log into your own account and right-click on the Start button.
>>> Choose Explore All Users. Now you will see all the users' Programs
>>> menus. Go to your grandson's and delete the programs you don't want him
>>> to see; don't worry, they are only shortcuts and you aren't deleting
>>> the actual programs.
>>>
>>> You don't mention how old your grandson and his friends are, but if they
>>> are not really little kids and are computer-savvy, they won't have any
>>> problem finding the executables. The best thing is for you to have good
>>> communication with your grandson and tell him exactly how you expect
>>> him to behave on your computer.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 8, 2005 12:43:09 PM

PeterM wrote:

> I forgot to thank you both Malke and Kelly for the reply to my
> question. Malke, when I go to the place you suggested, "programs" and
> I delete several of the programs, will that then also disappear from
> my view as well. I deleted one of them, and noticed that it was also
> gone from my view as well. I'm sure I can find the executable and but
> the shortcut on the desktop again, but maybe I didn't do it right. My
> grandson really only likes to be in touch with his friends, and he did
> it with AOL Instant messenger. I gave him temporary admin rights to
> download the program, and when it worked, I made him a restricted user
> again. It seemed to have worked that way. So he doesn't even have to
> see/use any of my programs. Isn't there a way to just have no program
> view. I did download Mr. Knox's security console for XP Home users,
> but still had no time reading the user guide yet............Many
> thanks again..............Opa Peter

When you Explore All Users, you'll see entries for All Users *and* each
user on the system. You can manage what your grandson sees on his Start
Menu separately from what you see, etc. Don't be afraid to expand all
the Start Menu entries and compare what shows in each account.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:21:54 PM

"PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes, I love the line as well, and it shows your wonderful work here. I
trust
> my grandson, he is 15, and get along with him super. One of his friends,
is
> a pushy kind of nerd, but very nice, and he overpowers my grandson, and
then
> before we know it he's in everything. I got a promise from both that it
will
> stop. I do talk to them, and all is well. I just like to not have them
take
> a chance and mess up my careful organized computer. I'm a little on the
> paranoid side. That comes with age, I think............Bless you all
Kelly,
> Malke and the other wonderful contributors to my ever growing
> knowledge..............Opa Peter

I don't remember seeing anyone make this comment (sorry if I missed
it) - I would very strongly suggest you make a good backup of at least
your important data. My preference is to make an image of the drive
(I use driveImage, but there are a number of utilities out there). Even
if they don't trash your "careful organized computer", a disk crash will
(and they happen). With a good image, worst case is you reload the
system from the image and are back to where you were before whatever
happened.

mikey (who thinks that while he is thinking about it, it is a good time
to make another backup of his machine ! )
June 8, 2005 11:38:39 PM

Hello Mike, I got that advise right away from a very thoughtful person like
yourself. I appreciate you both very much. I did that right away. I'm
sitting here with a fresh image of my computer. Just in case. I used Acronis
Image 8.0 .......Peter

!