Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new LCD Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 21, 2004 8:24:48 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a new LCD Monitor (17" or 19") but can't makeup mind and so not too sure what to get.

I have around $750 AUS to spend and follwing are the models we get here in Australia.

Store 1 (I generally buy things from here)
<A HREF="http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php?cPath=2..." target="_new">http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php?cPath=2...;/A>

Store 2 (If I can't find it in Store 1 then I come here)
<A HREF="http://www.cworld.com.au" target="_new">http://www.cworld.com.au&lt;/A>

My usage for a monitor includes watching movies by DVD (I watch 5 movies a week so its the strongest point), Programming (10 hours a week), Web serfing (20 hours a week) and I don't play many games but I do play FPS once in a while.

Which one do you guyz recommend..?

Cheers

More about : lcd monitor

December 21, 2004 10:43:46 PM

I'd be very careful in which one I pick, as many lcd's use 18 bit color dithering to approximate 24 bits in an effort to improve response time. What this amounts to is that in some instances, the colors look absolutely terrible, particularly (in my experience) when watching movies. Often times, dark scenes are rendered horribly as a blue-black mess leaving you with no idea of what is supposed to be displayed.
Screens that use dithering display 16.2 million colors, while true 24 bit screens display 16.7 million colors.
December 22, 2004 2:40:54 AM

OK so my next question is are there any flat panels around which actually have 16.7 million colours by design rather than by software manipulating 18 bits as 24 bits..?

I was aware that LCDs which are good for gaming are not the best one for movies, atleast at this stage so I am pretty confused here.
Related resources
December 22, 2004 4:14:45 AM

They are out there. I think the Samsung 173 and 193 are, and I know the 213 is, but they are likely out of your price range. I wish I could point you to one, but I'm not familiar enough with non-samsung models. My advice is to take a look at them in stores, find some you like, and research them.
December 22, 2004 5:09:49 AM

Thanks I will do that but I will wait little more till someone with experience will tell me what to look for and what not.
December 26, 2004 6:12:25 PM

Definitely ***NOT*** a Dell 2001FP. 16ms prt my arse! BF42 is an unplayable slide-show.

If you are going to use it for graphics/video, it's outstanding... but ---- IF you are going tp use it to game, look elsewhere. The AnandTech guide is full o' CRAP.
December 26, 2004 8:30:03 PM

What about the thousands of people who game with it and say it's great?

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr
December 26, 2004 8:41:07 PM

Dell's 2001FP is one awesome display...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 27, 2004 4:22:44 AM

I keep hearing mixed reviews though...

Is it just a case of picky people?

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
December 27, 2004 4:38:23 AM

I think they had some production problems (well with the 2005 fpw that is) so there were a lot of returns. They're getting it sorted out now though.

Got my 2005fpw on order right now :) 

December 27, 2004 8:23:47 PM

Thanks all but I don't think we can get Dell LCDs here and besides I am not much of a gamer and when ever I play games I will use CRT.

I do watch lots of movies though.
December 28, 2004 12:45:21 AM

I don't know what the 2005 is but the 2001 is what I was looking at getting until the reviews turned me off of it.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
December 28, 2004 1:49:10 AM

At the AT forums a LOT of people have them and are in love with them. Many have returned samsungs, sonys, etc, and are in love with their dells.

FYI: 2005FPW = 20.1" 1680x1050 widescreen LCD

December 29, 2004 7:23:19 AM

How much did you buy yours for? Did you check it out in person anywhere first?

December 29, 2004 4:58:59 PM

I haven't paid for it yet, but it'll be just under $800 cdn. I haven't looked at one yet either, but it's easily returnable if I'm not happy, and considering that the local overpriced 20" 1680x1050 apple cinema displays are going for $1799 I figure this was worth it :) 

I'm relying on some people I know from other forums who have gotten the monitor and say it's awesome.

!