Sign in with
Your question

Total newbie to linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 3, 2002 11:51:58 PM

I was what the difference between different versions of linux like FreeBSD, RedHat, or Debian. What would you suggest for learning how to use linux?

More about : total newbie linux

June 4, 2002 3:11:11 AM

Mostly the differences are down to user interface and distribution specific tools. BTW, FreeBSD is a BSD variant, not Linux - they have a different kernel.

I'd suggest getting a copy of Mandrake 8.2, Redhat 7.3, or Suse 8.0. They are the most support and user friendly. Debian is a bit harder to get started on...

<i>It's all the same with the lights off</i>
June 4, 2002 3:55:01 AM

Thanks, a friend of mine has RedHat so I'll get that. Then if I have any problems I can ask him. Thanks for the input!
Related resources
June 5, 2002 4:49:02 AM

Ive been meaning to try Suse 8.0 but i cannot find the ISOs. Does anyone know where to get the Suse 8 ISOs?
June 5, 2002 5:26:03 AM

I think Suse only release it's current versions on CD. There may be some ISOs floating around on the net somewhere tho, just not officially.

June 6, 2002 2:22:54 AM

search for stuff like i386_suse.iso and stuff like that on google and you should find it.
June 6, 2002 4:14:15 AM

Okay, I booted up The Red Hat installation. I installed everything on disc 1 and I inserted disc 2 when it said to. Then it gave me a message that it could not mount the drive. What is wrong? Any help would be appreiciated
June 6, 2002 5:40:14 AM

what's your setup? hardware? what is the exact text of the message?

June 6, 2002 3:52:03 PM

I have a partition set up that is 7.5GB for linux. I have a 1900+, 512MB DDR, ASUS A7V266-E, and my cd-drive is ATAPI compatable. The message says could not mount drive.
June 6, 2002 4:17:03 PM

um ok, so it's the cd drive it can't mount then? My first guess is that the cd is bad.

<i>Does this count as Community Service, Officer?</i>
June 6, 2002 11:36:14 PM

Ok, I'm in Red Hat right now and I can't boot into Windows. When I boot up my computer it goes into Red Hat and asks which OS I would like to boot. However the only choice is Linux. HELP!! It worked fine with the linux partition on with Windows. Now that I installed linux however I cannot boot into Windows!! HELP!!
June 7, 2002 12:04:59 AM

SuSE doesn't offer ISOs. You can either buy the cds, or you can do an ftp install...

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.
June 7, 2002 1:05:47 AM

calm down. it should have added a boot time option, but it didn't so you need to add one manually. Oh heck, does RH7.2 use grub or LILO as the boot loader? I think it's LILO.

open the file /etc/lilo.conf in a text editor.
add these lines at the end:
other=/dev/hdb1
    label=Windows
replace hdb1 with whatever drive and partition windows is on.
hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave
hdc = secondary master
hdd = secondary slave

run lilo in a shell (dos box / terminal) to set the changes.

log out, and reboot. Windows should be listed now.

June 7, 2002 9:29:04 AM

the default in rh7.2 is grub.
June 8, 2002 2:59:46 AM

ok, so it's /etc/grub.conf that gets edited. This sample is right out of the RH7.2 online docs:

# section to load Window 2000
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Just add those lines at the bottom of /etc/grub and reboot. You don't need to run anything before-hand, unlike LILO.

June 10, 2002 3:47:37 AM

We all have opionions however I would like to say that a newby
needs the most help and documentation. We all know which distro has the most books, support and has the most copies
installed out there.

ps check out http://www.linuxiso.org

enjoy
!