jp

After running a Winsock32 fix utility on my Windows XP Pro (SP1), I realized
that I can no longer use the infrared port on my laptop to do Hotsync with
Palm. I know it is a software issue because when I plugged in another hard
drive to the same Dell D600, the infrareed port worked fine. I have just
applied SP2 to the OS but it makes no difference.

In Device Manager, I can see the Infrared Device - SMC IrCc - Fast Infrared
Port. Under properties, it reported the status as working properly. Here
are the symptom:

1. Under Control Panel, there is a Wireless Link icon - Irprops.cpl. When
I click on it, it does nothing. I went to the registry to remove it
thinking that it would come back by reinstalling the device. Now it
disappears from the Control Panel completely.

2. I removed and re-installed the SMC IrCc fast infrared port from device
manager. It did install but the Wireless Link icon did not come back.

3. I ran "Irprops.cpl" from the command prompt. Nothing happened.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

kelly

Hi Joe,

Do some reading here and good luck!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=Infrared+port+not+working+any+more+XP

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=Infrared%20port%20not%20working%20any%20more&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.Windowsxp.*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2001&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"JP" <nospam_pangjoe@rogers.com> wrote in message
> After running a Winsock32 fix utility on my Windows XP Pro (SP1), I
> realized
> that I can no longer use the infrared port on my laptop to do Hotsync with
> Palm. I know it is a software issue because when I plugged in another
> hard
> drive to the same Dell D600, the infrareed port worked fine. I have just
> applied SP2 to the OS but it makes no difference.
>
> In Device Manager, I can see the Infrared Device - SMC IrCc - Fast
> Infrared
> Port. Under properties, it reported the status as working properly. Here
> are the symptom:
>
> 1. Under Control Panel, there is a Wireless Link icon - Irprops.cpl.
> When
> I click on it, it does nothing. I went to the registry to remove it
> thinking that it would come back by reinstalling the device. Now it
> disappears from the Control Panel completely.
>
> 2. I removed and re-installed the SMC IrCc fast infrared port from device
> manager. It did install but the Wireless Link icon did not come back.
>
> 3. I ran "Irprops.cpl" from the command prompt. Nothing happened.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> Joe

I have a similar problem as does Joe. My infrared device in device manager
is working properly, but when I click on wireless link in Control Panel, I
get nothing. I looked at the Google searches that Kelly recommended;
unfortunately, they were of little help. I wonder if Joe was ever able to
get his problem corrected?
"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Do some reading here and good luck!
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=Infrared+port+not+working+any+more+XP
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=Infrared%20port%20not%20working%20any%20more&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.Windowsxp.*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2001&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "JP" <nospam_pangjoe@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > After running a Winsock32 fix utility on my Windows XP Pro (SP1), I
> > realized
> > that I can no longer use the infrared port on my laptop to do Hotsync with
> > Palm. I know it is a software issue because when I plugged in another
> > hard
> > drive to the same Dell D600, the infrareed port worked fine. I have just
> > applied SP2 to the OS but it makes no difference.
> >
> > In Device Manager, I can see the Infrared Device - SMC IrCc - Fast
> > Infrared
> > Port. Under properties, it reported the status as working properly. Here
> > are the symptom:
> >
> > 1. Under Control Panel, there is a Wireless Link icon - Irprops.cpl.
> > When
> > I click on it, it does nothing. I went to the registry to remove it
> > thinking that it would come back by reinstalling the device. Now it
> > disappears from the Control Panel completely.
> >
> > 2. I removed and re-installed the SMC IrCc fast infrared port from device
> > manager. It did install but the Wireless Link icon did not come back.
> >
> > 3. I ran "Irprops.cpl" from the command prompt. Nothing happened.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >

> > Joe

calydon

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Same problem here. I tried sfc /scannow but that doesn't seem to have helped. I'm considering doing a repair install of Windows. Any other ideas?