help needed to install SE disc

I tried to install the disc today - not having much luck.

I uninstalled my previous version and tried to install - no luck. it would
start to install (think i got to 70%) and then it could not load something
from the disc.

I reinstalled the previous version, the 7th Ann disc. no problems, i logged
on everything was there. Checked my account and my upgrade codes for SE are
still on the account so it is upgraded and registered.

I tried to load the SE disc, it says that there is a previous version and i
may have problems, etc... i click install anyway. When it gets to 15%,
anim.mul file it says that it can not get the media or some such. i click
retry, same thing so i clicked cancel.....

Any ideas?
TIA
paul

--
*** This email has been check by Norton Anti-Virus ****

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:53:49 -0500, "Paul - Catskills"
<rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote:

>I tried to install the disc today - not having much luck.
>
>I uninstalled my previous version and tried to install - no luck. it would
>start to install (think i got to 70%) and then it could not load something
>from the disc.
>
>I reinstalled the previous version, the 7th Ann disc. no problems, i logged
>on everything was there. Checked my account and my upgrade codes for SE are
>still on the account so it is upgraded and registered.
>
>I tried to load the SE disc, it says that there is a previous version and i
>may have problems, etc... i click install anyway. When it gets to 15%,
>anim.mul file it says that it can not get the media or some such. i click
>retry, same thing so i clicked cancel.....
>
>Any ideas?
>TIA
>paul

Mine stuck twice at 70 to 80%. The 3rd try it went all the way.
No idea why. Check the disk for a scratch, or dirt/dust....
The only thing I did that could have changed things was, I wiped
the disk with a soft cloth.

Good luck,

Ice

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:53:49 -0500, "Paul - Catskills"
<rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote:

>I tried to install the disc today - not having much luck.
>
>I uninstalled my previous version and tried to install - no luck. it would
>start to install (think i got to 70%) and then it could not load something
>from the disc.
>
>I reinstalled the previous version, the 7th Ann disc. no problems, i logged
>on everything was there. Checked my account and my upgrade codes for SE are
>still on the account so it is upgraded and registered.
>
>I tried to load the SE disc, it says that there is a previous version and i
>may have problems, etc... i click install anyway. When it gets to 15%,
>anim.mul file it says that it can not get the media or some such. i click
>retry, same thing so i clicked cancel.....

You could just unzip the big file from the CD manually. I don't think it
needs any special registry entries other than the existing ones from you
last UO installation.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Paul - Catskills" <rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I tried to install the disc today - not having much luck.
>
> I uninstalled my previous version and tried to install - no luck. it would
> start to install (think i got to 70%) and then it could not load something
> from the disc.
>
> I reinstalled the previous version, the 7th Ann disc. no problems, i
> logged on everything was there. Checked my account and my upgrade codes
> for SE are still on the account so it is upgraded and registered.
>
> I tried to load the SE disc, it says that there is a previous version and
> i may have problems, etc... i click install anyway. When it gets to 15%,
> anim.mul file it says that it can not get the media or some such. i click
> retry, same thing so i clicked cancel.....
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> paul

A couple of questions:

1. What OS are you using?
2. Is the OS up to date - i.e. all current patches, etc installed?
3. Have you been through all the steps of backing up your desktop folder,
uninstalling, deleting the remaining folder structures, probably rebooting,
and then installing?
4. Can you try the CD on another PC? You might have a faulty disk, or it
could be that your CD drive doesn't fully recognise whatever was used to
write the SE CDs. If it works on the 'other' PC, is there a chance you can
network the two together, and share the good one's CD drive, and install
that way?

And, as this is bound to turn up sooner or later...
Don't disable your anti-virus software or firewall to install. Any
programmer who writes an app that requires you to turn off your anti-virus
software is a moron who shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard. Ditto for any
tech support person who suggests the same.
I only mention this because I spent Friday having a very long argument with
a support drone who kept insisting that the reason I couldn't install some
accounting software upgrades was because of AV software. Turned out they'd
shipped us the wrong batch of disks. Heh.

"Paul - Catskills" <rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I tried to install the disc today - not having much luck.
>
> I uninstalled my previous version and tried to install - no luck. it would
> start to install (think i got to 70%) and then it could not load something
> from the disc.
>
> I reinstalled the previous version, the 7th Ann disc. no problems, i
> logged on everything was there. Checked my account and my upgrade codes
> for SE are still on the account so it is upgraded and registered.
>
> I tried to load the SE disc, it says that there is a previous version and
> i may have problems, etc... i click install anyway. When it gets to 15%,
> anim.mul file it says that it can not get the media or some such. i click
> retry, same thing so i clicked cancel.....

Make sure you delete everything in your temp folder. SE messes up with that
error if there are certain files in your temp directory.

Under XP your temp directory is at:

Documents and Settings/{your username}/Local Settings/temp

"uray" <remove-uray@att.net> wrote in message
> "Paul - Catskills" <rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>I tried to install the disc today - not having much luck.
>>
>> I uninstalled my previous version and tried to install - no luck. it
>> would start to install (think i got to 70%) and then it could not load
>> something from the disc.
>>
>> I reinstalled the previous version, the 7th Ann disc. no problems, i
>> logged on everything was there. Checked my account and my upgrade codes
>> for SE are still on the account so it is upgraded and registered.
>>
>> I tried to load the SE disc, it says that there is a previous version and
>> i may have problems, etc... i click install anyway. When it gets to 15%,
>> anim.mul file it says that it can not get the media or some such. i click
>> retry, same thing so i clicked cancel.....
>
> Make sure you delete everything in your temp folder. SE messes up with
> that error if there are certain files in your temp directory.
>
> Under XP your temp directory is at:
>
> Documents and Settings/{your username}/Local Settings/temp
>I was finally able to get SE loaded up.... i didnt do anything different.
>kinda weird
oh well...