How to check the version of Windows by file?

June 8, 2005 3:43:50 PM

Hi,

If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is Home
or Professional?

Many thanks

J.F.
June 8, 2005 3:43:51 PM

Hi,

Great question; however, if it is your own you already know.

1. When Windows XP would boot, was there a green or blue progression bar
present?
Green: Home, Blue: Pro
2. If this is an OEM, use the restoration disk provided.
3. If you are trying for the recovery console using another disk, it won't
matter if you select A or B.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"J." <F.> wrote in message news:uEl1uz9aFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is
> or Professional?
>
> Many thanks
>
> J.F.

June 8, 2005 3:43:51 PM

Look at the certificate on the back of the computer

Jon

"J." <F.> wrote in message news:uEl1uz9aFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is
> or Professional?
>
> Many thanks
>
> J.F.

June 8, 2005 3:43:51 PM

Look at the label on the CD.

J. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is Home
> or Professional?
>
> Many thanks
>
> J.F.

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:43:52 PM

> Green: Home, Blue: Pro
I don't think that applies anymore after SP2. I think they are all blue
now. I have Home and the the bar is blue.

C-C Mom

> Hi,
>
> Great question; however, if it is your own you already know.
>
> 1. When Windows XP would boot, was there a green or blue progression bar
> present?
> Green: Home, Blue: Pro
> 2. If this is an OEM, use the restoration disk provided.
> 3. If you are trying for the recovery console using another disk, it
> won't matter if you select A or B.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "J." <F.> wrote in message news:uEl1uz9aFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is
>> or Professional?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> J.F.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:13:00 PM

"Code-Curious Mom" <none@NG.invalid> wrote in message
>> Green: Home, Blue: Pro
> I don't think that applies anymore after SP2. I think they are all blue
> now. I have Home and the the bar is blue.

Same blue here on home sp2 slipstreamed install.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:00:52 PM

You could boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk
(www.bootdisk.com), then run ntfsdos.exe
(www.sysinternals.com), then type this command
(including the word "type"!):

type x:\boot.ini

where "x:" is the drive letter assigned by ntfsdos.exe.
If boot.ini was left at its default settings then it should
tell you what version of WinXP was installed.

!