How to check the version of Windows by file?

Hi,

If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is Home
or Professional?

Many thanks

J.F.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Look at the certificate on the back of the computer

Jon

"J." <F.> wrote in message news:uEl1uz9aFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is
> or Professional?
>
> Many thanks
>
> J.F.

Look at the label on the CD.

J. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is Home
> or Professional?
>
> Many thanks
>
> J.F.

kelly

Hi,

Great question; however, if it is your own you already know.

1. When Windows XP would boot, was there a green or blue progression bar
present?
Green: Home, Blue: Pro
2. If this is an OEM, use the restoration disk provided.
3. If you are trying for the recovery console using another disk, it won't
matter if you select A or B.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"J." <F.> wrote in message news:uEl1uz9aFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> If my Windows XP is corrupted and cannot bootup, how to check my XP is
> or Professional?
>
> Many thanks
>
> J.F.

> Green: Home, Blue: Pro
I don't think that applies anymore after SP2. I think they are all blue
now. I have Home and the the bar is blue.

C-C Mom

"Code-Curious Mom" <none@NG.invalid> wrote in message
>> Green: Home, Blue: Pro
> I don't think that applies anymore after SP2. I think they are all blue
> now. I have Home and the the bar is blue.

Same blue here on home sp2 slipstreamed install.

You could boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk
(www.bootdisk.com), then run ntfsdos.exe
(www.sysinternals.com), then type this command
(including the word "type"!):

type x:\boot.ini

where "x:" is the drive letter assigned by ntfsdos.exe.
If boot.ini was left at its default settings then it should
tell you what version of WinXP was installed.