Newbi needs help stting up raid

lostsoul

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

Hello gang

I have 2xseagate 120gb Sata HD's. Which are blank at the moment. I also have a 1 Wd 60gb 7200 ide drive. Which has my OS and programs on it.I have an asus p4c800 deluxe Mb with onboard raid controler. Im running Xp pro. This is what i would like to do. Use raid 0 and use the 60gb drive for boot disk,backup's, and paging file, spooling file. Is that a good idea or not. What programs would I need to help in my quest.Looking for a how to do. Thank you for your time and help.

Jonas

caseman

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
You wouldn't need any programs. Just set the intel (or Promise) controller to Raid enabled and bootable. Then, when installing XP press F6 to install 3rd party raid\scsi drivers and pop in a floppy with the intel raid drivers (either from your CD or intel's website).

I like putting my raid 0 boot drives on the Intel controller if only for the seperate bus. Then just drop the big drive on the Promise controller.

Is your p4c800 dlx an "E" version? if so you are all set. If not you might not have the intel controller. Check your manuel.

lostsoul

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hello Caseman
I have the p4c800 deluxe not sure about E version.My onboard raid controller is an promise pdc20378. I have the OS on my 60gb HD right now. So, I have to reinstall my OS? Is there another way to just move the programs and files to the raid after I enable the controller and not start from scatch? I hope there is.

caseman

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
The Promise is fine. Yes you will have to re-install the OS. You can't stripe information across two drives, when it's all already on one.. :)

You might be able to use something like Ghost or Drive Image after you have created the the RAID array, but I can't say for sure. Someone here can probably answer that for you though.

lostsoul

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hello Caseman
I have 3 hd's total 2 in raid 0 set up and one with all my stuff,os, programs, files. I copied all of my stuff from the 60gb to my raid using seagate tools. so far very thing is going good. I just got back from buying partitoin magig 8 to use on my raid. but first i am to unplug my 60gb just in case some thing goes wrong with the partition project atleast I will have a ready to use copy If I fry my raid.Do you have any pointers on the project before I jump in feet first.
Thank you for your time and help
LostSoul

TheIneffableBob

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
I have a question along these lines, but more to do with the controller etc.

My current system currently includes an Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra160 PCI SCSI card, and two Fujitsu MAJ3364MP hard drives. (36gig)

I am planning on purchasing two drives to set up a RAID0 system, and ideally I would like a pair of 73gig drives, or thereabouts.

My question concerns the compatibility of SCSI card and drives, and stems from the fact that the paperwork for the computer is not with me. I believe that the card I have is an Ultra160 68pin, and to the best of my knowledge, is not at all compatible with Ultra320 or 80pin devices. Is this in fact true, and thus i will ahve to hunt in the very narrow realm of Ultra160/68pin drives? I dont think that the setup of the Raid itself will be too much of a problem, but i want to use the current drives as OS/system/etc and ghost, and the raid as my dumping ground for all the other bits and pieces

Thanks,

Byron

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
80 pin is a variation of 68-pin. 80 pin drives use the same 68 pins of the 68-pin drive, the extra pins are for power and configuration. 80-pin drives are designed to be hot-swappable, so that the rack itself is configured, no need to configure a drive when you replace it. There are no 80-pin SCSI cards, these hot-swappable drive racks use 80-pin drives but connect via a 68-pin cable to the controller, the extra pins are used by the rack alone.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

caseman

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
lostsoul, the only thing I can say is make sure you have a good image of your configs stored somewhere. That way if it all goes to hell (which I doubt), you can recover. That, and make sure to have your driver floppies already made.. there is nothing like formating your hard drive and then realizing that you need a driver off of some vendor's website to get the thing up and running, unless of course you have two puters.