best add-on power amp

Last response: in Home Audio
August 27, 2004 11:25:10 PM

I have the Onkyo Integra DTR6.3 HT receiver with 100 wpc. I am living
just fine with its performance, but am curious about the possibility
of enhancing my sound quality with the addition of a power amp, using
the preamp out of the Onkyo.

My questions are:

How much of an amp will I need to buy to achieve an improvement that
will make me grin?

Can I do this for under $2,000.? Under $1,000.?

Are there certain makes and models that anyone might recommend?

Thanks.

Gary

More about : add power amp

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 6:59:40 PM

The best investment would be in a loudspeaker upgrade. $2k will buy a
nice main speaker upgrade. Power amps if operating properly, just make
the signal fed into them louder. So to improve anything, you must have
a grossly underpowered main set of speakers ( I doubt that from your
comments) or you must improve the signal fed into the power amp. In
your case, you could consider the power section of your receiver the
power amp. The next best bet for improvemnet after a speaker upgrade
would be a very nice preamp/processor, feeding your "power amp" which
should be adequate. A nicety then might be to have a dedicated,
matching power amp to compliment the awesome, new preamp. I know it
doesn't sound as "manly" as 300wpc, 80lb monster, but it will sound
much better!
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA