Hi there

the mother board in my computer stopped working - no idea what is wrong -
but anyway I got another one, and set it up with my existing hard disk. But,
Windows XP won't boot up with the new motherboard. (There's just a blank
screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. Sometimes it comes up with a
"safe bootup" screen, where I can select various types of boot up, but still
I only get a blank screen).

Is it possible XP cannot recognise all the new hardware all at once? I seem
to remember hearing that XP somehow "registers" itself with the hardware it
is installed on, and can't be used with other hardware - can this be
horribly true?

Thanks for any advice,
Peter

"Peter Kirk" <pk@alpha-solutions.dk> wrote

> the mother board in my computer stopped working - no idea
> what is wrong - but anyway I got another one, and set it
> up with my existing hard disk. But, Windows XP won't boot
> up with the new motherboard. (There's just a blank screen
> with a flashing cursor in the top left. Sometimes it comes
> up with a "safe bootup" screen, where I can select various
> types of boot up, but still I only get a blank screen).

Been there. Done that. Twice in fact.

The first thing you need to do is try a repair installation.
Boot from the WinXP cd and select "Repair installation".

My experience is that there's about an even chance that
it'll work. If it does work, there's about an even chance
that your system will be unstable afterwards.

You might want to cut to the chase and just reformat the HD
and do a clean installation. That's what I did when my
wife's machine went south.

In another message in this thread I noticed you said you
built this machine yourself from parts and that you have an
OEM WinXP disk that you bought along with some hardware.
Ditto in my case. Twice.

No matter what anyone else tells you, that is not an issue
in your case. You are perfectly within your rights and
license to use that disk to restore your computer to life.
When activation time comes, it'll probably go off without
incident. (Did in the case of my wife's machine.) If you do
have to make the phone call, give only such information as
is *necessary and sufficient* for activation. Do not
elaborate or offer any details that aren't asked for.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> skrev i en meddelelse

> The first thing you need to do is try a repair installation. Boot from the
> WinXP cd and select "Repair installation".
>
> My experience is that there's about an even chance that it'll work. If it
> does work, there's about an even chance that your system will be unstable
> afterwards.
>
> You might want to cut to the chase and just reformat the HD and do a clean
> installation. That's what I did when my wife's machine went south.

<snip>

Thanks, I think I'll just save the disk contents (documents etc) to another
disk, and do a re-install - and hope that activation works again.

izzy

Try a repair install. This is normal procedure with such a massive
change in hardware.
If u have an oem machine u might be out of luck, as they don't allow
such changes.

Good Luck.

"Peter Kirk" <pk@alpha-solutions.dk> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> the mother board in my computer stopped working - no idea what is
> wrong - but anyway I got another one, and set it up with my existing
> hard disk. But, Windows XP won't boot up with the new motherboard.
> (There's just a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left.
> Sometimes it comes up with a "safe bootup" screen, where I can select
> various types of boot up, but still I only get a blank screen).
>
> Is it possible XP cannot recognise all the new hardware all at once? I
> seem to remember hearing that XP somehow "registers" itself with the
> hardware it is installed on, and can't be used with other hardware -
> can this be horribly true?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Peter

Thanks for the answer - but please can you clarify some things...

"izzy" <123@23.co.au> skrev i en meddelelse
> Try a repair install. This is normal procedure with such a massive change
> in hardware.

How do I start a repair install?

> If u have an oem machine u might be out of luck, as they don't allow such
> changes.

I have a put-together-myself machine, made up of what parts I had, and what
were cheapest at the time. I bought the Windows XP CD at the same time as I
bought a piece of hardware - can't remember if it was the motherboard or
harddisk. (It was a requirement of the XP license that it was purchased
together with osme hardware apparently).

> Good Luck.

Thanks. Looks like I might need it. Might just be easiest to copy all the
contents of the disk to another disk and then completely re-install XP? Is
that possible with XP?

izzy

Yes, ... like what ?

> Thanks for the answer - but please can you clarify some things...
>
> "izzy" <123@23.co.au> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Try a repair install. This is normal procedure with such a massive
>> change in hardware.
>
> How do I start a repair install?
>
>> If u have an oem machine u might be out of luck, as they don't allow
>> such changes.
>
> I have a put-together-myself machine, made up of what parts I had, and
> what were cheapest at the time. I bought the Windows XP CD at the same
> time as I bought a piece of hardware - can't remember if it was the
> motherboard or harddisk. (It was a requirement of the XP license that
> it was purchased together with osme hardware apparently).
>
>> Good Luck.
>
> Thanks. Looks like I might need it. Might just be easiest to copy all
> the contents of the disk to another disk and then completely
> re-install XP? Is that possible with XP?

> Yes, ... like what ?

I wrote my questions further down in my post (under what you had
written).... but another poster has basically answered what I wanted to
know. Thanks for the help.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:06:35 +0200, "Peter Kirk"
<pk@alpha-solutions.dk> wrote:

>Thanks for the answer - but please can you clarify some things...
>
>"izzy" <123@23.co.au> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Try a repair install. This is normal procedure with such a massive change
>> in hardware.
>
>How do I start a repair install?

Access your BIOS, change you Boot order to Boot from CD first, then
place XP CD in the tray and reboot. Do as prompted to boot from the
CD. DO NOT select the first repair option, instead tell it to
install. When the Install starts, it will find your previous XP
version, and from there you can choose to "repair" that installation.

Doing this should allow you to keep your existing customizations, user
accounts and data. There's always a chance you could lose data, but
I've done hundreds of repair installs with no problems.

>I have a put-together-myself machine, made up of what parts I had, and what
>were cheapest at the time. I bought the Windows XP CD at the same time as I
>bought a piece of hardware - can't remember if it was the motherboard or
>harddisk. (It was a requirement of the XP license that it was purchased
>together with osme hardware apparently).

Don't let anybody lie to you about this. Can you use that CD and key?
Yes. Can you lie to MS so that it can be activated? Yes. Is it
something you can do according to the rules you agreed to abide by
when you accpeted the End User Licensing Agreement? NO.

>Thanks. Looks like I might need it. Might just be easiest to copy all the
>contents of the disk to another disk and then completely re-install XP? Is
>that possible with XP?

Just do a repair install I described above. All your data should be
intact when you are done.

In news:uoNsqN$aFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Peter Kirk <pk@alpha-solutions.dk> replied with a ;-)
> Hi there
>
> the mother board in my computer stopped working - no idea what is
> wrong - but anyway I got another one, and set it up with my existing
> hard disk. But, Windows XP won't boot up with the new motherboard.
> (There's just a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left.
> Sometimes it comes up with a "safe bootup" screen, where I can select
> various types of boot up, but still I only get a blank screen).
>
> Is it possible XP cannot recognise all the new hardware all at once?
> I seem to remember hearing that XP somehow "registers" itself with
> the hardware it is installed on, and can't be used with other
> hardware - can this be horribly true?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Peter

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Move XP to new hardware.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
--