Please advise how to add MS-DOS to Windows XP

My nephew recently lost his parents and moved in with us. An older game (Rise
and Rule of the Ancient Empires) is his 'escape' right now as he used to play
it with his father.

Our old computer -- Windows ME -- always ran out of game memory before he
could complete his game and we were advised to upgrade to Windows XP instead
of spending a lot of money on extra memory for 'obsolete' system. So we did.
Unfortunately now we cannot even get the game to load as according to the
guys at a computer game store it requires MS-DOS which Windows XP does not
have.

I am NOT at all computer literate and would appreciate any help at all that
you can provide. Somewhere on the internet we are supposed to be able to
simply download MS DOS and all will be well again. Where do I find this
download? We still have the original system recovery disks from our Windows
ME system -- would this program be on there? How do I find it and only
install it?

Please help. It would mean the world to us to be able to help our nephew
through this very difficult time for him, especially over the Christmas
season. Being able to play his game again would be the best gift we could
give him.

Thanks,
Michelle
farm_girl92@yahoo.com
3 answers Last reply
More about please advise windows

    Hi Michele,

    When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
    bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html

    If the easy solutions above don't work for Rule of the Ancient Empires...

    With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
    which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

    If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
    tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
    and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
    issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Help Wanted" <Help Wanted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72A5784A-4CD2-4C13-AD49-607C09B3B780@microsoft.com...
    | My nephew recently lost his parents and moved in with us. An older game (Rise
    | and Rule of the Ancient Empires) is his 'escape' right now as he used to play
    | it with his father.
    |
    | Our old computer -- Windows ME -- always ran out of game memory before he
    | could complete his game and we were advised to upgrade to Windows XP instead
    | of spending a lot of money on extra memory for 'obsolete' system. So we did.
    | Unfortunately now we cannot even get the game to load as according to the
    | guys at a computer game store it requires MS-DOS which Windows XP does not
    | have.
    |
    | I am NOT at all computer literate and would appreciate any help at all that
    | you can provide. Somewhere on the internet we are supposed to be able to
    | simply download MS DOS and all will be well again. Where do I find this
    | download? We still have the original system recovery disks from our Windows
    | ME system -- would this program be on there? How do I find it and only
    | install it?
    |
    | Please help. It would mean the world to us to be able to help our nephew
    | through this very difficult time for him, especially over the Christmas
    | season. Being able to play his game again would be the best gift we could
    | give him.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Michelle
    | *_*@yahoo.com

    Have a look for the installation file on the original disk (install.exe,
    setup.exe or the like). Right click the file and choose: 'sent to desktop'.
    Right the file on your desktop and choose 'properties'. Choose
    'compatibility'. Tick 'run this program in compatibility mode for:', choose
    windows 95. click 'apply', 'ok'.
    Click the icon you created, you will now install the game in win95 mode.
    Repeat the same procedure for the icon of the game.
    You should be able to run the game now. It worked for me with games like
    SimIsle, Capital.

    "Help Wanted" <Help Wanted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My nephew recently lost his parents and moved in with us. An older game
    > (Rise
    > and Rule of the Ancient Empires) is his 'escape' right now as he used to
    > play
    > it with his father.
    >
    > Our old computer -- Windows ME -- always ran out of game memory before he
    > could complete his game and we were advised to upgrade to Windows XP
    > instead
    > of spending a lot of money on extra memory for 'obsolete' system. So we
    > did.
    > Unfortunately now we cannot even get the game to load as according to the
    > guys at a computer game store it requires MS-DOS which Windows XP does not
    > have.
    >
    > I am NOT at all computer literate and would appreciate any help at all
    > that
    > you can provide. Somewhere on the internet we are supposed to be able to
    > simply download MS DOS and all will be well again. Where do I find this
    > download? We still have the original system recovery disks from our
    > Windows
    > ME system -- would this program be on there? How do I find it and only
    > install it?
    >
    > Please help. It would mean the world to us to be able to help our nephew
    > through this very difficult time for him, especially over the Christmas
    > season. Being able to play his game again would be the best gift we could
    > give him.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michelle
    > farm_girl92@yahoo.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I installed DOSBOX on my computer (v0.63) from sourceforge.net and it crashed
    my pc. I was told to restart it after installing it and when I restarted, it
    could not start Windows because \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEM was corrupt or
    missing. It would not let me access anything and I had to reinstall all of
    Windows XP Home(SP2) becuase when I tried to "repair" it with the winXP disk,
    it didn't provide enough help on how to perform such a task. All I could get
    was a list of commands by typing "HELP" at the C: prompt. The commands were
    useless without knowing what to put with them and there were no help
    parameters that I could find. Did I do something wrong? Or is this a known
    bug with the program DOSBOX? I am trying to run an older DOS game on my pc
    called Chessmaster 2100 but it will not even install from the CD-ROM on WinXP
    Home.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Michele,
    >
    > When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
    > bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
    >
    > If the easy solutions above don't work for Rule of the Ancient Empires...
    >
    > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
    > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
    > which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
    >
    > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
    > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
    > and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
    > issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :-)
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "Help Wanted" <Help Wanted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72A5784A-4CD2-4C13-AD49-607C09B3B780@microsoft.com...
    > | My nephew recently lost his parents and moved in with us. An older game (Rise
    > | and Rule of the Ancient Empires) is his 'escape' right now as he used to play
    > | it with his father.
    > |
    > | Our old computer -- Windows ME -- always ran out of game memory before he
    > | could complete his game and we were advised to upgrade to Windows XP instead
    > | of spending a lot of money on extra memory for 'obsolete' system. So we did.
    > | Unfortunately now we cannot even get the game to load as according to the
    > | guys at a computer game store it requires MS-DOS which Windows XP does not
    > | have.
    > |
    > | I am NOT at all computer literate and would appreciate any help at all that
    > | you can provide. Somewhere on the internet we are supposed to be able to
    > | simply download MS DOS and all will be well again. Where do I find this
    > | download? We still have the original system recovery disks from our Windows
    > | ME system -- would this program be on there? How do I find it and only
    > | install it?
    > |
    > | Please help. It would mean the world to us to be able to help our nephew
    > | through this very difficult time for him, especially over the Christmas
    > | season. Being able to play his game again would be the best gift we could
    > | give him.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | Michelle
    > | *_*@yahoo.com