Doh! Can't sync Tungsten E with Mac Palm desktop

August 5, 2004 3:23:43 AM

Dear All,

My Palm Tungsten E screen stopped working. So I did a reset. No
difference. So I did a hard reset as per the manual. No improvement. So
I took it back to the shop and the chap said 'Ah. I had the same problem
with my mobile phone: a clapped-out screen protector.' And sure enough,
after he'd removed it, my Tungsten E was as good as new.

Except... that when I restored all my data from the Palm Desktop on my
Mac Powerbook G4, everything _except_ the Date Book was restored onto
the Tungsten E. Even external software files like ENDNOTE, without me
having to set it up specially: it all just restored automatically. But
no Date Book data. The Hotsync window reported Date Book data as
transferring, but there was no diary info on the Palm when the
'transfer' was complete.

So I set iSync up to synchronise my iCal files, and that works fine.
except that I prefer to use the Palm software Date Book rather than the
Mac iCal software (synchronises a lot faster, and looks better... bet
you never thought you'd hear that from a Mac user, eh?)

Anyway, is there any kind person who could suggest how I might ensure
that Date Book synchronises with Palm Tungsten E? No, I haven't deleted
and reinstalled the Palm software onto my Mac; I haven't moved the User
data file from the Users/Devi/Docs/Palm folder either; and whenever I
open Palm Desktop from my Powerbook via that data file, all of the data
which I am trying to transfer onto my Palm is still there ok. So why
won'ty it transfer onto the Palm?

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Kind regards,
Devi Jankowicz
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:23:44 AM

In article <animas-DCD3A6.23235704082004@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>,
Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> My Palm Tungsten E screen stopped working. So I did a reset. No
> difference. So I did a hard reset as per the manual. No improvement. So
> I took it back to the shop and the chap said 'Ah. I had the same problem
> with my mobile phone: a clapped-out screen protector.' And sure enough,
> after he'd removed it, my Tungsten E was as good as new.

What's a "clapped-out screen protector"?

> Except... that when I restored all my data from the Palm Desktop on my
> Mac Powerbook G4, everything _except_ the Date Book was restored onto
> the Tungsten E.

If the Date Book is still fully loaded with data on your desktop, try
setting the Date Book conduit for the Desktop to overwrite the Handheld
and then sync again.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:23:45 AM

In article <animas-DF39AC.00303005082004@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>,
Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> In article <guy-0408041605540001@192.168.1.103>,
> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
> > If the Date Book is still fully loaded with data on your desktop, try
> > setting the Date Book conduit for the Desktop to overwrite the Handheld
> > and then sync again.
>
> I tried to do something like that, Guy. Unfortunately I couldn't find
> the specific conduit for Date Book. I'm sure I'm not doing his right,
> but I'm equally sure that I've tried to follow the various instructions
> in the manual and just can't see it.
>
> Could you please suggest how and where I can find it? I do appreciate
> your help, or anyone else who can assist.

Hi Devi,

The 'correct' conduit to use can be confusing. Ideally you want to use
either iSync/iCal/AddressBook or the PalmDesktop. It's possible but not
recommended to use both as they don't all have the same fields and it's
easy to get foobared.

So when you install iSync, it's possible it may de-install the
Palm-supplied conduits, to prevent confusion. If that's the case, you
may have to put 'em back, in order to revert to using the PalmDesktop
application and its Palm-supplied conduits. Assuming all your conduits
were installed 'for all users on your MacOSX system', you'll find both
the currently enabled and disabled conduits here:

/Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Conduits
/Library/Application Support/Palm HotSynce/Conduits (Disabled)

Naturally things are unnecessarily complicated. For starters you'll note
that the iSync conduit is called "Apple", and not "iSync" <gr>.

Since you don't wish to use iSync/iCal/AddressBook, you'll want the
"Apple" conduit to be moved into "Conduits (Disabled)". Of course you
could just disable it using Palm's "HotSync Manager" program, and leave
it in the "Conduits" folder, but you get the idea...

Now in order to use Palm's own PIM conduits you'll want to ensure that
they are all in the "Conduits" directory. But once more, things are
unnecessarily complicated. Palm has two sets of PIM conduits. One set
for everything before the Tungsten E/T3. And another set that works with
the newer PIM in the ROMs of the Tungsten E/T3 (& presumably in the
Zire72?).

With PalmDesktop (You are using v4.2.1, the latest OSX version freely
downloadable from Palm, n'est-ce pas?), Palm may provide both sets of
conduits. If so, there's the traditional Palm conduits: Datebook
Conduit, Memo Conduit, ToDo Conduit and Address Conduit
And the _new_ conduits that work with the enhanced Palm PIM on the
Tungsten E and T3 (and presumably the Z72?): Calendar Conduit, Memos
Conduit, Tasks Conduit and Contacts Conduit.

You want just one of the above sets in your "Conduits" folder, not both.
Since you have a Tungsten E, you know which set should be put in the
"Conduits" folder, and which should be moved to "Conduits (Disabled)".

Whew!!. So now that you've moved the iSync (err Apple Conduit) out of
"Conduits", and ensured that you have the four latest Palm PIM conduits
(and not their earlier doppelgangers) in the "Conduits" folder, you can
now fire up Palm's "HotSync Manager" and configure the conduits
appropriately: Macintosh overwrites handheld, Synchronize, Handheld
overwrites Macintosh, etc. depending on where your latest data is: on
the Palm or on the Mac.

I hope I haven't left you more confused. And I'm sure some helpful soul
can point you to one or more PalmOne Support Knowledge Library entries
that cover this in even more excruciating detail.
August 5, 2004 3:54:03 AM

On 4-Aug-2004, Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> Flushed this thought from
his brain to the screen::

> Two chickens and a stoat were sacrificed-- there was blood all over!
> -- but to no avail.

What's a "stoat"? And from what part of the planet do you hail?

WyreNut

--
Remember! Always Eschew Obfuscation!!
Anonymous

In article <animas-DF39AC.00303005082004@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>,
Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> In article <guy-0408041605540001@192.168.1.103>,
> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
>
> > In article <animas-DCD3A6.23235704082004@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>,
> > Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > My Palm Tungsten E screen stopped working. So I did a reset. No
> > > difference. So I did a hard reset as per the manual. No improvement. So
> > > I took it back to the shop and the chap said 'Ah. I had the same problem
> > > with my mobile phone: a clapped-out screen protector.' And sure enough,
> > > after he'd removed it, my Tungsten E was as good as new.
> >
> > What's a "clapped-out screen protector"?
>
> (A screen protector that is so scratched that it is no longer very
> responsive or see-through.)

I think you're referring to the screen, right?, as opposed to an overlay
of some sort on the screen.

As for finding the conduits, I see someone else has responded already. I
don't use iSync so on my system, the Conduit Settings are under HotSync in
the menu bar.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:29:06 AM

In article <rGeQc.246415$XM6.104639@attbi_s53>, "WyreNut" <Me@home.biz>
wrote:

> On 4-Aug-2004, Devi Jankowicz <animas@ntlworld.com> Flushed this thought from
> his brain to the screen::
>
> > Two chickens and a stoat were sacrificed-- there was blood all over!
> > -- but to no avail.
>
> What's a "stoat"? And from what part of the planet do you hail?
>
> WyreNut

A stoat? Why, a stoat is a flesh-eating mammal of the weasel family,
which has brown fur in the summer which turns white in the winter. It is
then known as an _ermine_, and mediaeval lords and ladies hunt it and
skin it to make their formal coronation robes. The latin name for the
stoat is Mustela erminea.

I live in Hertfordshire in the UK. My first name is Hindu and my family
name is Polish, as are all my genes. Go figure. (*)

Yours was my kind of posting, Wyrenut!

But now I must concentrate and turn my attention to the task in hand,
viz., trying to get my Tungsten E synced with my Mac Palm desktop. Guy
Bannis and Schmidt have been incredibly helpful and I have to pay a
little attention to all that they've sent or I'll screw up my machine
for all time. Can I do it right? Eek.

Thank you so much everyone who sent in your advice.

Kind regards,
Devi Jankowicz

(*) I had an Indian guru back in the 70s.
!