Keyboard causing freeze at bootup

I've posted this before but with no results.

My computer (a special made to my requirements, and running WXP Home
edition) needed a new motherboard under warranty in March. When I got it
back I found that often when rebooting, a single touch on a key froze the
computer. I kept rebooting until it would work, which was once or twice or
maybe 10 times. Once it would work, it remained working until a reboot, when
I had to go through the same performance. I took it back and they reseated
the motherboard and said the keyboard must be at fault because the problem
did not occur with a new one. However, it still does occasionally. I've told
the people I bought it off and they are a bit at a loss. Does anyone have
any ideas?

I can provide more details if anyone cares to pick this one up.

Thanks

Rob Graham

Malke

Rob graham wrote:

> I've posted this before but with no results.
>
> My computer (a special made to my requirements, and running WXP Home
> edition) needed a new motherboard under warranty in March. When I got
> it back I found that often when rebooting, a single touch on a key
> froze the computer. I kept rebooting until it would work, which was
> once or twice or maybe 10 times. Once it would work, it remained
> working until a reboot, when I had to go through the same performance.
> I took it back and they reseated the motherboard and said the keyboard
> must be at fault because the problem did not occur with a new one.
> However, it still does occasionally. I've told the people I bought it
> off and they are a bit at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I can provide more details if anyone cares to pick this one up.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob Graham

An easy way to t-shoot this is to attach a different keyboard. If the
problem disappears, throw away the original keyboard. If the problem
doesn't go away, then you know the issue is with the hardware on the
computer. In that case, take it back to the people from whom you bought
it. They have an obligation to provide you with a working computer.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> An easy way to t-shoot this is to attach a different keyboard. If the
> problem disappears, throw away the original keyboard.

Yes, that's what they did, and I've now got a new keyboard. But then the
problem reappeared. Or it may never have actually gone away, bearing in mind
that it's only occasional.

If the problem
> doesn't go away, then you know the issue is with the hardware on the
> computer. In that case, take it back to the people from whom you bought
> it. They have an obligation to provide you with a working computer.

Yes. Totally agree. However, it's a pain for me to be without it (and it's
not a major problem to me as I don't re-boot very often). If I could (with
your aid) try to find a solution then we'd all be happy. Question is, is it
hardware or software? When I told them about the problem recurring they
muttered something about an O/S reinstall. This guts me because of all the
other software I'll have to put back on. And even then I won't know whether
this will actually cure it.

Rob

Malke

Rob graham wrote:

>> An easy way to t-shoot this is to attach a different keyboard. If the
>> problem disappears, throw away the original keyboard.
>
> Yes, that's what they did, and I've now got a new keyboard. But then
> the problem reappeared. Or it may never have actually gone away,
> bearing in mind that it's only occasional.
>
> If the problem
>> doesn't go away, then you know the issue is with the hardware on the
>> computer. In that case, take it back to the people from whom you
>> bought it. They have an obligation to provide you with a working
>> computer.
>
> Yes. Totally agree. However, it's a pain for me to be without it (and
> it's not a major problem to me as I don't re-boot very often). If I
> could (with your aid) try to find a solution then we'd all be happy.
> Question is, is it hardware or software? When I told them about the
> problem recurring they muttered something about an O/S reinstall. This
> guts me because of all the other software I'll have to put back on.
> And even then I won't know whether this will actually cure it.
>
> Rob

Well, of course they muttered something about an OS reinstall. Much
easier for them than having to troubleshoot the hardware. Problems that
are random, such as the one you are describing, are most often caused
by hardware. I would do this:

1. Connect a bog-standard ps/2 keyboard - this means one that doesn't
need any fancy drivers, no "internet keyboard" or the like. If you had
a fancy keyboard, uninstall any software that came with it first. Run
with the standard keyboard for a while. If the problem never comes back
- great.

2. If the problem comes back, try attaching a usb keyboard. If the
problem never comes back, then there is an issue with the ps/2 keyboard
connector on the motherboard.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Well, of course they muttered something about an OS reinstall. Much
> easier for them than having to troubleshoot the hardware. Problems that
> are random, such as the one you are describing, are most often caused
> by hardware. I would do this:
>
> 1. Connect a bog-standard ps/2 keyboard - this means one that doesn't
> need any fancy drivers, no "internet keyboard" or the like. If you had
> a fancy keyboard, uninstall any software that came with it first. Run
> with the standard keyboard for a while. If the problem never comes back
> - great.
>
> 2. If the problem comes back, try attaching a usb keyboard. If the
> problem never comes back, then there is an issue with the ps/2 keyboard
> connector on the motherboard.
>
> Malke
> --

Thanks Malke. I'll give it a go.