Changing generations in MMO games.

Provocative reading. (Richard especially, since he's made similar
points several times.)

http://uols.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21900&highlight=

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Derek Lyons wrote:
> Provocative reading. (Richard especially, since he's made similar
> points several times.)
>
> http://uols.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21900&highlight=

AFAIK all the people that were here in the 90s and earlier are still
around. Problem is the pool is so dilute with new arrivals to the genre
it will never be the same.

I mean there was actually a time when we were critical of names that
came from Final Fantasy or laughed about the lack of imagination of a
"Merlin" or "Drizzt". Saw "Pure Heroin" on TC the other day, I figure he
is representative of the new generation.

UO had one year to come up with a solution to their problems and failed
badly. By the time they started fixing things the old timers had got
split between a good game with antisocial element and a lessor game with
better administration.

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:57:37 GMT, Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Derek Lyons wrote:
>> Provocative reading. (Richard especially, since he's made similar
>> points several times.)
>>
>> http://uols.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21900&highlight=
>
>AFAIK all the people that were here in the 90s and earlier are still
>around. Problem is the pool is so dilute with new arrivals to the genre
>it will never be the same.

Well the "all the people that were here in the 90s and earlier are still
around" is a bit of an exaggeration. NONE of the people I started with
are still around. In fact none of the people that I played with just before
Trammel is still around. Only two of the people I played after Trammel,
are still subscribers, and they are never on now days.

You know, if you ever spent the time to talk to any of the "new arrivals",
you may find they are mostly a nice group of people. I do not do enough
"getting acquainted" myself, but when I do have the time to chat, I have
liked most of the people I have meet.

I cant say that about the "old days". If you chatted with a stranger in
town, you could get your pack snooped and stolen from. If you chatted
with a stranger out of town, you could get killed. Outside of town, most
people ran when they saw "anyone" come on the screen. Especially after
the rise of the "blue PK".

I went looking for a Fire Bug last week for my Smith. Went to Britain,
and could not even get anyone to talk to me. Went to Skara, and ask a
few Tamers, and they were all very friendly. One said if I gave him my
ICQ he would let me know when he had one. About 30 min later he ICQ'ed
me that he had one for me. When I got to Skara he gave it to me, and would
not take the 10k check for it.

If the only place you ever go to find people is Britain, you will have a very
jaded view of the UO people. I normally stay away from Britain. Just like
the "old days", Britain has the slime, greedy, and self important of the
population. (that's MHO).

>I mean there was actually a time when we were critical of names that
>came from Final Fantasy or laughed about the lack of imagination of a
>"Merlin" or "Drizzt". Saw "Pure Heroin" on TC the other day, I figure he
>is representative of the new generation.

Because of the "teen" rating the name "Pure Heroin" is against the TOS
agreement. You should have reported it.

>UO had one year to come up with a solution to their problems and failed
>badly. By the time they started fixing things the old timers had got
>split between a good game with antisocial element and a lessor game with
>better administration.

The other games came out in 3D, so I could not play them, but its my
understanding that even their Customer Service went down hill in a
very short time after opening. It just costs too much to make the kind
of profit they feel they have to make to keep the game running.
That all seems wrong to me, but then I am not running the show.

Ice

> [...]
>>"Merlin" or "Drizzt". Saw "Pure Heroin" on TC the other day, I figure he
>>is representative of the new generation.
>>
> Because of the "teen" rating the name "Pure Heroin" is against the TOS
> agreement. You should have reported it.
>
>>UO had one year to come up with a solution to their problems and failed
>>badly. By the time they started fixing things the old timers had got
>>split between a good game with antisocial element and a lessor game with
>>better administration.
>
> The other games came out in 3D, so I could not play them, but its my
> understanding that even their Customer Service went down hill in a
> very short time after opening. It just costs too much to make the kind
> of profit they feel they have to make to keep the game running.
> That all seems wrong to me, but then I am not running the show.

I appriciate the open minded and open haertedness Ice. Very thoughtfull. I
may be a newcomer in the sense of what "vets" or (5+ year accounts), but I
have tried my best to treat the game with a bit of respect. I understand
that some get more from roleplaying than others. To that I am cool with. I
have even tried my best to help newcomers (yes, even newbies in my time)
from time to time on my shard. I usually keep a "newbie sack" prepared. for
a new arival. exceptional 100% medable spinned leather suit with 70%
physical resists. A then 10 now 20 ruin book fully loaded with charges and
100 recall scrolls. A ruin marked for Brit, haven, Yuna and my house. And
just some basic tips. This all happend to me when I first arrived. Just
trying to set a good example for the ones that come after me.

Sticky_314

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:19:45 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

>The other games came out in 3D, so I could not play them, but its my
>understanding that even their Customer Service went down hill in a
>very short time after opening. It just costs too much to make the kind
>of profit they feel they have to make to keep the game running.
>That all seems wrong to me, but then I am not running the show.

I had to call a GM in City of Heroes the other day because I was doing
a quest where the doors wouldn't open for me because of a bug. Imagine
my surprise when 10 minutes later I got an actual message from a GM
asking me what the problem was. I explained it to her, she fixed it
and then asked me if I had any other problems or questions. I thanked
her and that was the end of what had to be the best customer service
experience I ever had in any MMOG.

A few minutes later I got an automated email to follow up asking me if
I had any other issues or comments on the service.

It's a shame that after eight years UO still hasn't got it's act
together well enough to provide that kind of service.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

>I went looking for a Fire Bug last week for my Smith. Went to Britain,
>and could not even get anyone to talk to me. Went to Skara, and ask a
>few Tamers, and they were all very friendly. One said if I gave him my
>ICQ he would let me know when he had one. About 30 min later he ICQ'ed
>me that he had one for me. When I got to Skara he gave it to me, and would
>not take the 10k check for it.
>
>If the only place you ever go to find people is Britain, you will have a very
>jaded view of the UO people. I normally stay away from Britain. Just like
>the "old days", Britain has the slime, greedy, and self important of the
>population. (that's MHO).

Amen. I went to the WBB yesterday to buy some xmas tree deeds. After
half an hour of barely being able to get a word in edgewise...
(Between the folks who spam the same long msg every 2.5 milliseconds,
and the folks fighting, and the folks carrying on in other unsavoury
ways....) I went to Skara bank, and in less than a minute I had not
one, but two offers.

D.
--

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:23:10 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>It's a shame that after eight years UO still hasn't got it's act
>together well enough to provide that kind of service.

Well, I have only ever seen 1 green robed Seer and only once seen a red
robed GM. However I have called for GMs three times and always been
helped quickly. Once was to remove the anvil or forge in the middle of my
old small classic forge house back before T2A. And twice for the same
thing (because the shard timewarped) - I got stuck in a hole in the Lost
Lands before they filled them all in.

So no recent experience with any EA/OSI/UO officials in the game.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>It's a shame that after eight years UO still hasn't got it's act
>together well enough to provide that kind of service.

I've called a GM thrice in three years... and gotten prompt and
courteous service each and every time.

I suspect that many people in UO have a vast over-expectation of what
GM's are and what they can do. (A suspicion borne out by reading some
of the complaints on the stratics boards.)

D.
--

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:25:07 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

>Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
>
>>It's a shame that after eight years UO still hasn't got it's act
>>together well enough to provide that kind of service.
>
>I've called a GM thrice in three years... and gotten prompt and
>courteous service each and every time.
>
>I suspect that many people in UO have a vast over-expectation of what
>GM's are and what they can do. (A suspicion borne out by reading some
>of the complaints on the stratics boards.)
>
>D.

I'm sorry Derek, your reputation as a dedicated fanboy precludes me
from taking anything you say about UO's customer service seriously.

I've had to call GMs in UO three or four times as well. The usual
result was a one to two hour wait followed by a tiny message answering
a question I didn't ask and directing me to an out of date website.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic