Just set up dual boot with 2 hard disc's.Installed 98 se on one (the
original disc) then XP Pro on the second.
All worked ok with the ability to select which os to use when booting up.
The original disc I used with 98 proved to be faulty however so I installed
a new disc and reinstalled 98.
Even though I copied the boot.ini file from the old to the new disc there
was no dual boot available.To save time I reinstalled XP on the second disc
and had dual boot again.

Q1 How can I reinstall 98 if needed in the future on disc one without going
through the XP install again?

Q2 If in the future one of the os or disc's fail how can I boot into the
other remaining os.(98 is FAT 32 & XP NTFS).

Lindsay

Stephen

Lindsay Cripps wrote:
>> Just set up dual boot with 2 hard disc's.Installed 98 se on one (the
>> original disc) then XP Pro on the second.
>> All worked ok with the ability to select which os to use when
>> booting up. The original disc I used with 98 proved to be faulty
>> however so I installed a new disc and reinstalled 98.
>> Even though I copied the boot.ini file from the old to the new disc
>> there was no dual boot available.To save time I reinstalled XP on
>> the second disc and had dual boot again.
>>
>> Q1 How can I reinstall 98 if needed in the future on disc one
>> without going through the XP install again?
>>
>> Q2 If in the future one of the os or disc's fail how can I boot into
>> the other remaining os.(98 is FAT 32 & XP NTFS).
>>

>> Lindsay

boot.ini is not enough! Delete the file(s) you copied over no more no less.
Boot from the WinXP CD-ROM .. select 'r' from the menu and go into the
recovery console.. use the fixboot tool at the command line. To get help on
using fixboot type:

fixboot /?

then hit Enter

C:\ntldr
C:\boot.ini
C:\ntdetect.com
These three files are needed to boot XP.
Backup these files to another partition, then you can place them back to C:
if you have to reinstall 98.

Because XP is not installed on C:, have a partition after the XP partition
and put the XP boot files there.
If the C: drive goes bad or you just want to remove it, make the new
partition with the XP boot files active and then XP will boot.
--
Ron Sommer

"Lindsay Cripps" <gtext_nospam_@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
> Just set up dual boot with 2 hard disc's.Installed 98 se on one (the
> original disc) then XP Pro on the second.
> All worked ok with the ability to select which os to use when booting up.
> The original disc I used with 98 proved to be faulty however so I
> installed a new disc and reinstalled 98.
> Even though I copied the boot.ini file from the old to the new disc there
> was no dual boot available.To save time I reinstalled XP on the second
> disc and had dual boot again.
>
> Q1 How can I reinstall 98 if needed in the future on disc one without
> going through the XP install again?
>
> Q2 If in the future one of the os or disc's fail how can I boot into the
> other remaining os.(98 is FAT 32 & XP NTFS).
>

> Lindsay

Andy

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:33:22 +1000, "Lindsay Cripps"
<gtext_nospam_@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>Just set up dual boot with 2 hard disc's.Installed 98 se on one (the
>original disc) then XP Pro on the second.
>All worked ok with the ability to select which os to use when booting up.
>The original disc I used with 98 proved to be faulty however so I installed
>a new disc and reinstalled 98.
>Even though I copied the boot.ini file from the old to the new disc there
>was no dual boot available.To save time I reinstalled XP on the second disc
>and had dual boot again.
>
>Q1 How can I reinstall 98 if needed in the future on disc one without going
>through the XP install again?

Don't format the disk. While running XP, just delete the Windows and
Program Files folders on the first disk. Then reinstall Windows 98. As
long the dual boot files remain on the first disk, the Windows 98
setup program won't mess with them.

>Q2 If in the future one of the os or disc's fail how can I boot into the
>other remaining os.(98 is FAT 32 & XP NTFS).

1. Remove the first disk (C).
2. Connect the second disk as the new first disk (D).
3. Connect a temporary second disk (E).
4. Install XP to the second disk (E). You only have to install up to
the reboot, when the boot files will have been written to the first
drive (D).
5. Boot from the XP CD and run the recovery console.
6. Execute bootcfg /rebuild, and put the entry for the XP installation
on the first disk (D) in boot.ini.
7. You should now be able to boot the Windowx XP on the first disk
(D).