Fire Beetle control

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Has anyone read anything about the lack of control with the
Fire beetle's? Every time I get off the thing runs off.
If I have to have Animal Lore to control it, its no good to me
for my Smith/Miner. She has no room for another skill.

I have a Tamer, so I know "how" to control pets, its not that.
I feed it, and tell it to follow me. It makes the sounds that
indicate that it accepted the command, but then it does not
do as told. I take it out mining, and as soon as I get off, it
runs off. I command it to follow me, but it just keeps going.

I thought maybe something had been mentioned about a fix
in the works, or maybe I just have a defective bug. :(

Ice

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:37:22 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

>Has anyone read anything about the lack of control with the
>Fire beetle's? Every time I get off the thing runs off.
>If I have to have Animal Lore to control it, its no good to me
>for my Smith/Miner. She has no room for another skill.
>
>I have a Tamer, so I know "how" to control pets, its not that.
>I feed it, and tell it to follow me. It makes the sounds that
>indicate that it accepted the command, but then it does not
>do as told. I take it out mining, and as soon as I get off, it
>runs off. I command it to follow me, but it just keeps going.
>
>I thought maybe something had been mentioned about a fix
>in the works, or maybe I just have a defective bug. :(

Something like this came up some months ago. A bug had slipped
in that allowed pets to take off on their own mission, usually
protecting or killing. The reason this bug got through was that
the dev team always said "all stop" before "all follow".

May not be the case today, but worth a try.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:37:22 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

>Has anyone read anything about the lack of control with the
>Fire beetle's? Every time I get off the thing runs off.
>If I have to have Animal Lore to control it, its no good to me
>for my Smith/Miner. She has no room for another skill.
>
>I have a Tamer, so I know "how" to control pets, its not that.
>I feed it, and tell it to follow me. It makes the sounds that
>indicate that it accepted the command, but then it does not
>do as told. I take it out mining, and as soon as I get off, it
>runs off. I command it to follow me, but it just keeps going.
>
>I thought maybe something had been mentioned about a fix
>in the works, or maybe I just have a defective bug. :(
>
>Ice

I haven't got my own fire beetle yet but from what I've read you're
not supposed to need any animal lore or anything to control. Sounds
like a bug to me. (HAHA I MADE A PUN!!111!!!)

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:11:43 -0600, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:37:22 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
>

>>Has anyone read anything about the lack of control with the
>>Fire beetle's? Every time I get off the thing runs off.
>>If I have to have Animal Lore to control it, its no good to me
>>for my Smith/Miner. She has no room for another skill.
>>
>>I have a Tamer, so I know "how" to control pets, its not that.
>>I feed it, and tell it to follow me. It makes the sounds that
>>indicate that it accepted the command, but then it does not
>>do as told. I take it out mining, and as soon as I get off, it
>>runs off. I command it to follow me, but it just keeps going.
>>
>>I thought maybe something had been mentioned about a fix
>>in the works, or maybe I just have a defective bug. :(
>
>Something like this came up some months ago. A bug had slipped
>in that allowed pets to take off on their own mission, usually
>protecting or killing. The reason this bug got through was that
>the dev team always said "all stop" before "all follow".
>
>May not be the case today, but worth a try.

I do not think that is the problem. This one was not after anything.
It just started running off nothing else was around, and it would
not respond to "all fallow". The Tamer that got it for me, said it
did the same thing with him. He has 120 animal lore. My other
animals are _not_ doing this. None of them..............

Thanks for the response.

Ice

On 25 nov 2004 Ice was heard to say:

> I thought maybe something had been mentioned about a fix
> in the works, or maybe I just have a defective bug. :(

I'm just peeved they still havent fixed the Fire Beetle damage bug..
It does 100% physical AND 100% Fire damage, resulting in about
1 actual damage even against 0% resist critters.. Quite quite
embarrassing to see..I'm not (yet) demanding my Fire Beetle becomes
some uber killer pet, bit it ought to atleast be able to do more
than gnaw softly on rabbits before I have to stand ready with bandies.

--
John Hinge - shayera / .sPOOn. http://www.spoon.dvd-klub.dk
On usenet I represent no one but myself.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:04:29 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

>I do not think that is the problem. This one was not after anything.
>It just started running off nothing else was around, and it would
>not respond to "all fallow". The Tamer that got it for me, said it
>did the same thing with him. He has 120 animal lore. My other
>animals are _not_ doing this. None of them..............

I just remembered something.

I had tamed a beetle on Atlantic, and taken it to Haven to give
to someone. The bug took a real shining to the spot where I
dismounted and told it to stay.

Once transferred, it wouldn't obey at all, and unless being
ridden, would head straight back to that one spot.

You got a homing bug!

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:30:17 -0600, Jaeger Prelac
<jprelac@softhome.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:04:29 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
>
>>I do not think that is the problem. This one was not after anything.
>>It just started running off nothing else was around, and it would
>>not respond to "all fallow". The Tamer that got it for me, said it
>>did the same thing with him. He has 120 animal lore. My other
>>animals are _not_ doing this. None of them..............
>
>I just remembered something.
>
>I had tamed a beetle on Atlantic, and taken it to Haven to give
>to someone. The bug took a real shining to the spot where I
>dismounted and told it to stay.
>
>Once transferred, it wouldn't obey at all, and unless being
>ridden, would head straight back to that one spot.
>
>You got a homing bug!

Hey Jaeger, could you tame me one of those guys sometime?

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:11:08 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>>You got a homing bug!
>
>Hey Jaeger, could you tame me one of those guys sometime?

A regular blue beetle? Sure, when are you logged in?

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:50:12 -0600, Jaeger Prelac
<jprelac@softhome.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:11:08 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
>
>>>You got a homing bug!
>>
>>Hey Jaeger, could you tame me one of those guys sometime?
>
>A regular blue beetle? Sure, when are you logged in?

No one of the new fire beetles. Can you do those?

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

"Ice" <Ice@noplace.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:11:43 -0600, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
> wrote:

>>Something like this came up some months ago. A bug had slipped
>>in that allowed pets to take off on their own mission, usually
>>protecting or killing. The reason this bug got through was that
>>the dev team always said "all stop" before "all follow".
>>
>>May not be the case today, but worth a try.
>
> I do not think that is the problem. This one was not after anything.
> It just started running off nothing else was around, and it would
> not respond to "all fallow". The Tamer that got it for me, said it
> did the same thing with him. He has 120 animal lore. My other
> animals are _not_ doing this. None of them..............

It's an old bug, thought they completely fixed it, guess not. Your pet is
still in attack mode and is trying to get to whatever it's trying to attack.
Since what it's trying to attack probably no longer exists it appears to
just be walking off randomly. It's locked on the last known coordinates.
Have it attack something else, and give it a lot of stop commands and that
should fix it. It's happened to a few of my pets.

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:19:33 GMT, "uray" <remove-uray@att.net> wrote:

>"Ice" <Ice@noplace.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:11:43 -0600, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>
>>>Something like this came up some months ago. A bug had slipped
>>>in that allowed pets to take off on their own mission, usually
>>>protecting or killing. The reason this bug got through was that
>>>the dev team always said "all stop" before "all follow".
>>>
>>>May not be the case today, but worth a try.
>>
>> I do not think that is the problem. This one was not after anything.
>> It just started running off nothing else was around, and it would
>> not respond to "all fallow". The Tamer that got it for me, said it
>> did the same thing with him. He has 120 animal lore. My other
>> animals are _not_ doing this. None of them..............
>
>It's an old bug, thought they completely fixed it, guess not. Your pet is
>still in attack mode and is trying to get to whatever it's trying to attack.
>Since what it's trying to attack probably no longer exists it appears to
>just be walking off randomly. It's locked on the last known coordinates.
>Have it attack something else, and give it a lot of stop commands and that
>should fix it. It's happened to a few of my pets.

Thanks, it was new to me. I sent a bug report, (probably a useless action).
I will give your suggestion a try.

Ice

need some taming or lore?
is it bonded?