Clean Win7 install on new SSD installation error

Tags:
  • Installation Error
  • SSD
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 3, 2012 1:09:10 AM

I have a Samsung series 9 (NP9004XC) and I am upgrading the 128gb SSD that came with the computer to a Crucial M4 256GB mSATA. I am doing a clean install from a bootable USB that I created from the recovery disc that was included with the computer.

I can load up setup but once I get to the part where I choose what disk I want to install it to I get an error. There is only one disk listed (Disk 0, Partition 1) and when I try to select that disk to install Windows to I get the error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I cannot not find anything in the BIOS that would help. Fast BIOS mode is disabled and AHCI mode is set to enabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : clean win7 install ssd installation error

August 3, 2012 1:21:10 AM

Have you checked for a bios update?
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:23:25 AM

Ah you are using recovery media. That's the issue. either clone the old drive or install fresh.
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 1:24:44 AM

I have updated the BIOS to the most recent version.
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:25:28 AM

I am trying to install fresh. When I get to the Windows 7 setup where I have to choose which disk to install it to is where I get the error.
m
l
a c 270 $ Windows 7
August 3, 2012 1:32:31 AM

ad if it running the windows 7 set up then go under advance mode and let windows 7 make the partions. if the ssd has one partion then windows 7 want you to delete it so that it can make two partion the system restore and the data partion.
if it running a norton ghost or drive clone program to restore the hard drive then it looking for the drive to have a partion and be formatted.
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:59:07 AM

If it's a specialized OEM version it could require a second partition, that makes sense.
m
l