How to unregister XP Pro?

I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro that I own
and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook computer. Dell is
sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and load it.

I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How do I
unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not longer need it
and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?

Thanks
--
FL Consultant
22 answers Last reply

    In news:39BE7481-A088-4992-AF98-25E143815BBB@microsoft.com,
    FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP
    > Pro that
    > I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
    > computer.

    Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding that sentence.
    First you say you can *not* use it, then you say you did. Can you
    clarify this, please?

    Do you mean that you can't use it on a second computer? That's
    correct.

    > Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and
    > load
    > it.

    On your notebook? What was the problem with using the upgrade
    version?

    > I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How
    > do I
    > unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
    > longer
    > need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?

    There are several issues here. First, there's no such thing as
    "unregistering," nor is it necessary. Second, the Dell CD is
    probably customized for your computer (or even BIOS-locked to
    it), and will very likely not work on his HP computer. Third,
    it's an OEM version, and if you did install it on your machine,
    then its license is permanently tied to that machine and can
    never legally be used on another.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro that
    > I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook computer.
    > Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and load
    > it.
    >
    > I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How do I
    > unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not longer
    > need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
    >
    > Thanks

    Just give it to him.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Sorry if I confused you.

    Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with the new
    Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from useing one copy
    of a software package on more than one computer. That is why they now
    require you to register the software or it is not useable after so many days.
    So to move the software to another computer, I thought that I would have to
    unregister it or I would have a problem when I placed the software on another
    computer.

    Does that help you understand my question?

    Thank you for your help.

    --
    FL Consultant

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:39BE7481-A088-4992-AF98-25E143815BBB@microsoft.com,
    > FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP
    > > Pro that
    > > I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
    > > computer.
    >

    > Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding that sentence.
    > First you say you can *not* use it, then you say you did. Can you
    > clarify this, please?
    >
    > Do you mean that you can't use it on a second computer? That's
    > correct.
    >

    > > Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and
    > > load
    > > it.
    >

    > On your notebook? What was the problem with using the upgrade
    > version?
    >

    > > I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How
    > > do I
    > > unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
    > > longer
    > > need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
    >

    > There are several issues here. First, there's no such thing as
    > "unregistering," nor is it necessary. Second, the Dell CD is
    > probably customized for your computer (or even BIOS-locked to
    > it), and will very likely not work on his HP computer. Third,
    > it's an OEM version, and if you did install it on your machine,
    > then its license is permanently tied to that machine and can
    > never legally be used on another.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    lol.
    Kurt, just wanted to say thanks for the common sense computing tips. I have
    led many friends there and it is so true. I have a computer at home that's
    been used for about 2 years (internet, some p2p, etc.). I run virus
    protection, occasional spyware removal, and only download applicable
    updates. It's funny because others who purchased computers after me are
    trashed and sluggish.

    Bobby wrote:
    > lol.
    > Kurt, just wanted to say thanks for the common sense computing tips.
    > I have led many friends there and it is so true. I have a computer at
    > home that's been used for about 2 years (internet, some p2p, etc.). I
    > run virus protection, occasional spyware removal, and only download
    > applicable updates. It's funny because others who purchased computers
    > after me are trashed and sluggish.

    You're Very Welcome! And thank you for the feedback.

    --

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > Sorry if I confused you.
    >

    > Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with the new
    > Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from useing
    > one copy of a software package on more than one computer. That is
    > why they now require you to register the software or it is not
    > useable after so many days. So to move the software to another
    > computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I would
    > have a problem when I placed the software on another computer.
    >
    > Does that help you understand my question?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.

    You are confusing REGISTRATION WITH ACTIVATION.

    And there is no de-activation mechanism either. Just transfer all the
    documentation to your brother.

    He may have to do phone activation if you activated it in the last 120
    days. If it has been more than 120 days since you last activated that
    copy then activation should go smoothly over the internet for your
    brother.

    If the former is the case, I'd advise you to tell your brother to lie,
    and say that he just did a major upgrade to the computer. Otherwise he
    may be asked to prove the legal transfer of the software from you to
    him, and that could take some time. But feel free to tell the truth, if
    you want to risk the run around.

    --

    In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
    FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Sorry if I confused you.
    >

    > Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with
    > the new
    > Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from
    > useing
    > one copy of a software package on more than one computer. That
    > is
    > why they now require you to register the software or it is not
    > useable after so many days. So to move the software to another
    > computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I
    > would
    > have a problem when I placed the software on another computer.
    >
    > Does that help you understand my question?

    Yes, thanks.

    First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
    Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has nothing
    to do with preventing use on two machines.

    Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
    completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of), not
    the person who bought Winodws.

    If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP user
    (more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said, it's
    neither necessary nor possible to unregister.

    If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
    another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
    activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary nor
    possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes that
    hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
    than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
    like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be prompted
    to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).

    However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
    (since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
    license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
    different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true of
    OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
    machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
    another.

    Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
    that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Thank you for your help.
    >

    >> In news:39BE7481-A088-4992-AF98-25E143815BBB@microsoft.com,
    >> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP
    >>> Pro that
    >>> I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
    >>> computer.
    >>

    >> Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding that
    >> sentence.
    >> First you say you can *not* use it, then you say you did. Can
    >> you
    >> clarify this, please?
    >>
    >> Do you mean that you can't use it on a second computer? That's
    >> correct.
    >>

    >>> Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format
    >>> and
    >>> load

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
    > FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    >> Sorry if I confused you.
    >>

    >> Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with
    >> the new
    >> Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from
    >> useing
    >> one copy of a software package on more than one computer. That
    >> is
    >> why they now require you to register the software or it is not
    >> useable after so many days. So to move the software to another
    >> computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I
    >> would
    >> have a problem when I placed the software on another computer.
    >>
    >> Does that help you understand my question?
    >

    > Yes, thanks.
    >
    > First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
    > Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has nothing
    > to do with preventing use on two machines.
    >
    > Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
    > completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of), not
    > the person who bought Winodws.
    >
    > If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP user
    > (more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said, it's
    > neither necessary nor possible to unregister.
    >
    > If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
    > another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
    > activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary nor
    > possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes that
    > hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
    > than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
    > like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be prompted
    > to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).
    >
    > However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
    > (since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
    > license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
    > different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true of
    > OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
    > machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
    > another.
    >
    > Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
    > that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.

    If your Upgrade disk is a retail copy, there should be no problem
    installing it on you brothers' HP.

    --

    In news:uTCNcNHbFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    kurttrail <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> typed:

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >> In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
    >> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Sorry if I confused you.
    >>>

    >>> Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with
    >>> the new
    >>> Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from
    >>> useing
    >>> one copy of a software package on more than one computer.
    >>> That
    >>> is
    >>> why they now require you to register the software or it is
    >>> not
    >>> useable after so many days. So to move the software to
    >>> another
    >>> computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I
    >>> would
    >>> have a problem when I placed the software on another
    >>> computer.
    >>>
    >>> Does that help you understand my question?
    >>

    >> Yes, thanks.
    >>
    >> First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
    >> Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has
    >> nothing
    >> to do with preventing use on two machines.
    >>
    >> Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
    >> completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of),
    >> not
    >> the person who bought Winodws.
    >>
    >> If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP
    >> user
    >> (more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said,
    >> it's
    >> neither necessary nor possible to unregister.
    >>
    >> If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
    >> another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
    >> activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary
    >> nor
    >> possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes
    >> that
    >> hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
    >> than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
    >> like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be
    >> prompted
    >> to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).
    >>
    >> However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
    >> (since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
    >> license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
    >> different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true
    >> of
    >> OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
    >> machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
    >> another.
    >>
    >> Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
    >> that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.
    >
    > If your Upgrade disk is a retail copy, there should be no
    > problem
    > installing it on you brothers' HP.

    That's correct. I interpreted him as saying that it came from
    Dell, but it wasn't completely clear and I might be wrong.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
    How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro that I own
    > and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook computer. Dell is
    > sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and load it.
    >
    > I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How do I
    > unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not longer need it
    > and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
    >
    > Thanks

    I am sorry but you did not understand the question.

    How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is my
    understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do I
    unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..
    --
    FL Consultant

    S.Sengupta wrote:

    > FL Consultant wrote:
    >> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro
    >> that I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
    >> computer. Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can
    >> format and load it. I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with
    >> Microsoft. How do I
    >> unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
    >> longer need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
    > How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows
    > XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441

    I believe he wants to un-register the copy of software with MS, not on a
    particular computer.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Kurtrail,

    Please do not respond to my questions. I don't see where you provide any
    value but that you just want to add comments to questions.

    Thank you
    --
    FL Consultant

    FL Consultant wrote:

    > I am sorry but you did not understand the question.
    >
    > How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is
    > my
    > understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do I
    > unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..

    You are confusing registration with activation. Registration is always
    optional - never necessary. Activation is mandatory and always
    necessary. Your brother does not need to register the operating system
    with Microsoft so there is no unregistration procedure. He will need to
    activate the system after he installs it and there will be no problem
    doing so.

    Mlake
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    What??

    >Just give it to him

    He gave you the correct and simplest answer on his first post!

    "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Kurtrail,
    >
    > Please do not respond to my questions. I don't see where you provide any
    > value but that you just want to add comments to questions.
    >
    > Thank you
    > --
    > FL Consultant
    >

    > "kurttrail" wrote:
    >
    >> S.Sengupta wrote:

    >> > If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
    >> > How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows
    >> > XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441
    >>
    >> I believe he wants to un-register the copy of software with MS, not on a
    >> particular computer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Thanks for seeing past my use of the wrong words and giving me an answer.

    Do you know why MS allows mutilple users to activate the same software
    package?

    Thanks
    --
    FL Consultant

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > Kurtrail,
    >
    > Please do not respond to my questions.

    Sorry.

    > I don't see where you provide
    > any value but that you just want to add comments to questions.

    Do you mean I was wrong and you wanted to unregister your upgrade of XP
    on a particular computer?

    > Thank you

    You're Welcome.

    --

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > Thanks for seeing past my use of the wrong words and giving me an
    > answer.
    >
    > Do you know why MS allows mutilple users to activate the same software
    > package?
    >
    > Thanks

    Because even under MS's restrictive EULA you have the right to transfer
    the copy of software to another.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    I have never seen any topic on 'unregistering the product' with Microsoft.
    In anycase this link is handy as far as registration privacy policy is
    concerned.
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_prvcyms.mspx

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > I am sorry but you did not understand the question.
    >
    > How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is my
    > understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do I
    > unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..

    You are confusing product activation with product registration.Kindly go
    through the following link:-
    'Product Activation Facts'
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    S.Sengupta wrote:
    > I have never seen any topic on 'unregistering the product' with Microsoft.
    > In anycase this link is handy as far as registration privacy policy is
    > concerned.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_prvcyms.mspx
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > FL Consultant wrote:
    >
    >> I am sorry but you did not understand the question.
    >> How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is
    >> my understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do
    >> I unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I actually have both a Dell and retail version of XP Pro. Thank you very
    much for the insite to this.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:uTCNcNHbFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > kurttrail <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> typed:
    >
    > > Ken Blake wrote:
    > >> In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
    > >> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > >> Yes, thanks.
    > >>
    > >> First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
    > >> Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has
    > >> nothing
    > >> to do with preventing use on two machines.
    > >>
    > >> Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
    > >> completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of),
    > >> not
    > >> the person who bought Winodws.
    > >>
    > >> If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP
    > >> user
    > >> (more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said,
    > >> it's
    > >> neither necessary nor possible to unregister.
    > >>
    > >> If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
    > >> another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
    > >> activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary
    > >> nor
    > >> possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes
    > >> that
    > >> hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
    > >> than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
    > >> like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be
    > >> prompted
    > >> to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).
    > >>
    > >> However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
    > >> (since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
    > >> license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
    > >> different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true
    > >> of
    > >> OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
    > >> machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
    > >> another.
    > >>
    > >> Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
    > >> that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.
    > >
    > > If your Upgrade disk is a retail copy, there should be no
    > > problem
    > > installing it on you brothers' HP.
    >

    > That's correct. I interpreted him as saying that it came from
    > Dell, but it wasn't completely clear and I might be wrong.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  22. All the other features of the Replica Patek Philippe Watches are hidden. All the beauty of the Replica Cartier is hidden under the transparent case back. Here, through a thin sapphire crystal you can see the perfect Replica Longines Watches tourbillon – one of the most beautiful Replica Chopard mechanisms.
    风华是一指流砂,苍老是一段年华。
    ——2010.10. 21

Microsoft Windows XP