How to unregister XP Pro?

I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro that I own
and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook computer. Dell is
sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and load it.

I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How do I
unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not longer need it
and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?

Thanks
--
FL Consultant

In news:39BE7481-A088-4992-AF98-25E143815BBB@microsoft.com,
FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP
> Pro that
> I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
> computer.

Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding that sentence.
First you say you can *not* use it, then you say you did. Can you
clarify this, please?

Do you mean that you can't use it on a second computer? That's
correct.

> Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and
> load
> it.

On your notebook? What was the problem with using the upgrade
version?

> I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How
> do I
> unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
> longer
> need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?

There are several issues here. First, there's no such thing as
"unregistering," nor is it necessary. Second, the Dell CD is
probably customized for your computer (or even BIOS-locked to
it), and will very likely not work on his HP computer. Third,
it's an OEM version, and if you did install it on your machine,
then its license is permanently tied to that machine and can
never legally be used on another.

Please reply to the newsgroup

FL Consultant wrote:
> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro that
> I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook computer.
> Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and load
> it.
>
> I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How do I
> unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not longer
> need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
>
> Thanks

Just give it to him.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Sorry if I confused you.

Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with the new
Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from useing one copy
of a software package on more than one computer. That is why they now
require you to register the software or it is not useable after so many days.
So to move the software to another computer, I thought that I would have to
unregister it or I would have a problem when I placed the software on another
computer.

Does that help you understand my question?

Thank you for your help.

--
FL Consultant

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:39BE7481-A088-4992-AF98-25E143815BBB@microsoft.com,
> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP
> > Pro that
> > I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
> > computer.
>

> Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding that sentence.
> First you say you can *not* use it, then you say you did. Can you
> clarify this, please?
>
> Do you mean that you can't use it on a second computer? That's
> correct.
>

> > Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and
> > load
> > it.
>

> On your notebook? What was the problem with using the upgrade
> version?
>

> > I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How
> > do I
> > unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
> > longer
> > need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
>

> There are several issues here. First, there's no such thing as
> "unregistering," nor is it necessary. Second, the Dell CD is
> probably customized for your computer (or even BIOS-locked to
> it), and will very likely not work on his HP computer. Third,
> it's an OEM version, and if you did install it on your machine,
> then its license is permanently tied to that machine and can
> never legally be used on another.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Bobby

lol.
Kurt, just wanted to say thanks for the common sense computing tips. I have
led many friends there and it is so true. I have a computer at home that's
been used for about 2 years (internet, some p2p, etc.). I run virus
protection, occasional spyware removal, and only download applicable
updates. It's funny because others who purchased computers after me are
trashed and sluggish.

Bobby wrote:
> lol.
> Kurt, just wanted to say thanks for the common sense computing tips.
> I have led many friends there and it is so true. I have a computer at
> home that's been used for about 2 years (internet, some p2p, etc.). I
> run virus protection, occasional spyware removal, and only download
> applicable updates. It's funny because others who purchased computers
> after me are trashed and sluggish.

You're Very Welcome! And thank you for the feedback.

--

FL Consultant wrote:
> Sorry if I confused you.
>

> Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with the new
> Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from useing
> one copy of a software package on more than one computer. That is
> why they now require you to register the software or it is not
> useable after so many days. So to move the software to another
> computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I would
> have a problem when I placed the software on another computer.
>
> Does that help you understand my question?
>
> Thank you for your help.

You are confusing REGISTRATION WITH ACTIVATION.

And there is no de-activation mechanism either. Just transfer all the
documentation to your brother.

He may have to do phone activation if you activated it in the last 120
days. If it has been more than 120 days since you last activated that
copy then activation should go smoothly over the internet for your
brother.

If the former is the case, I'd advise you to tell your brother to lie,
and say that he just did a major upgrade to the computer. Otherwise he
may be asked to prove the legal transfer of the software from you to
him, and that could take some time. But feel free to tell the truth, if
you want to risk the run around.

--

In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Sorry if I confused you.
>

> Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with
> the new
> Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from
> useing
> one copy of a software package on more than one computer. That
> is
> why they now require you to register the software or it is not
> useable after so many days. So to move the software to another
> computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I
> would
> have a problem when I placed the software on another computer.
>
> Does that help you understand my question?

Yes, thanks.

First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has nothing
to do with preventing use on two machines.

Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of), not
the person who bought Winodws.

If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP user
(more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said, it's
neither necessary nor possible to unregister.

If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary nor
possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes that
hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be prompted
to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).

However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
(since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true of
OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
another.

Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Thank you for your help.
>

>> In news:39BE7481-A088-4992-AF98-25E143815BBB@microsoft.com,
>> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP
>>> Pro that
>>> I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
>>> computer.
>>

>> Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding that
>> sentence.
>> First you say you can *not* use it, then you say you did. Can
>> you
>> clarify this, please?
>>
>> Do you mean that you can't use it on a second computer? That's
>> correct.
>>

>>> Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format
>>> and
>>> load

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> Sorry if I confused you.
>>

>> Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with
>> the new
>> Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from
>> useing
>> one copy of a software package on more than one computer. That
>> is
>> why they now require you to register the software or it is not
>> useable after so many days. So to move the software to another
>> computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I
>> would
>> have a problem when I placed the software on another computer.
>>
>> Does that help you understand my question?
>

> Yes, thanks.
>
> First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
> Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has nothing
> to do with preventing use on two machines.
>
> Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
> completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of), not
> the person who bought Winodws.
>
> If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP user
> (more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said, it's
> neither necessary nor possible to unregister.
>
> If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
> another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
> activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary nor
> possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes that
> hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
> than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
> like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be prompted
> to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).
>
> However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
> (since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
> license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
> different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true of
> OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
> machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
> another.
>
> Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
> that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.

If your Upgrade disk is a retail copy, there should be no problem
installing it on you brothers' HP.

--

In news:uTCNcNHbFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
kurttrail <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> In news:F85E1BB3-927A-480A-A3A4-90998D664570@microsoft.com,
>> FL Consultant <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> Sorry if I confused you.
>>>

>>> Your last comments gets to my questions. I thought that with
>>> the new
>>> Microsoft registration system they were preventing users from
>>> useing
>>> one copy of a software package on more than one computer.
>>> That
>>> is
>>> why they now require you to register the software or it is
>>> not
>>> useable after so many days. So to move the software to
>>> another
>>> computer, I thought that I would have to unregister it or I
>>> would
>>> have a problem when I placed the software on another
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> Does that help you understand my question?
>>

>> Yes, thanks.
>>
>> First, you're confusing "activation" and "registration."
>> Registration is a completely optional procedure, and has
>> nothing
>> to do with preventing use on two machines.
>>
>> Activation is what's required, and unlike registration, is
>> completely anonymous. It identifies the hardware (sort of),
>> not
>> the person who bought Winodws.
>>
>> If you're registered it, it identifies you as a Windows XP
>> user
>> (more for marketing purposes than anything else). As I said,
>> it's
>> neither necessary nor possible to unregister.
>>
>> If you've *activated *a copy of Windows and want to move it to
>> another computer (see below for restrictions), you need to
>> activate it on the new computer. It's also neither necessary
>> nor
>> possible to unactivate. The process of reactivation changes
>> that
>> hardware identification to the new machine. If it's been more
>> than 120 days, reactivation over the internet should work just
>> like the first time; if fewer than 120 days, you'll be
>> prompted
>> to do it by a voice phone call (also quick and easy).
>>
>> However the situation is somewhat different with OEM versions
>> (since yours came with your Dell, it's an OEM version). The
>> license for retail versions permits them to be moved to a
>> different computer as I explained above, but that's *not* true
>> of
>> OEM licenses. An OEM version is permanently tied to the first
>> machine it's installed on and it can never legally be used on
>> another.
>>
>> Moreover as I said, even without the licensing considerations,
>> that Dell OEM CD would probably not work on an HP.
>
> If your Upgrade disk is a retail copy, there should be no
> problem
> installing it on you brothers' HP.

That's correct. I interpreted him as saying that it came from
Dell, but it wasn't completely clear and I might be wrong.

Please reply to the newsgroup

If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

FL Consultant wrote:
> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro that I own
> and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook computer. Dell is
> sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can format and load it.
>
> I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with Microsoft. How do I
> unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not longer need it
> and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
>
> Thanks

I am sorry but you did not understand the question.

How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is my
understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do I
unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..
--
FL Consultant

S.Sengupta wrote:

> FL Consultant wrote:
>> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro
>> that I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
>> computer. Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can
>> format and load it. I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with
>> Microsoft. How do I
>> unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
>> longer need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
> How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows
> XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441

I believe he wants to un-register the copy of software with MS, not on a
particular computer.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Kurtrail,

Please do not respond to my questions. I don't see where you provide any
value but that you just want to add comments to questions.

Thank you
--
FL Consultant

"kurttrail" wrote:

> S.Sengupta wrote:
>

> > FL Consultant wrote:
> >> I recently learned that I can not use the upgrade copy of XP Pro
> >> that I own and used to upgrade from XP Home on my Dell Notebook
> >> computer. Dell is sending me a full version of XP Pro so I can
> >> format and load it. I registered the Upgrade version of XP Pro with
> >> Microsoft. How do I
> >> unregister the copy so I can give it to my Brother since I not
> >> longer need it and he currently has XP Home and an HP notebook?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
> > How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows
> > XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441
>
> I believe he wants to un-register the copy of software with MS, not on a
> particular computer.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Malke

FL Consultant wrote:

> I am sorry but you did not understand the question.
>
> How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is
> my
> understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do I
> unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..

You are confusing registration with activation. Registration is always
optional - never necessary. Activation is mandatory and always
necessary. Your brother does not need to register the operating system
with Microsoft so there is no unregistration procedure. He will need to
activate the system after he installs it and there will be no problem
doing so.

Mlake
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Bobby

What??

>Just give it to him

He gave you the correct and simplest answer on his first post!

"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Kurtrail,
>
> Please do not respond to my questions. I don't see where you provide any
> value but that you just want to add comments to questions.
>
> Thank you
> --
> FL Consultant
>

> "kurttrail" wrote:
>
>> S.Sengupta wrote:

>> > If you want to change the name of the registered owner:-
>> > How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows
>> > XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310441
>>
>> I believe he wants to un-register the copy of software with MS, not on a
>> particular computer.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Thanks for seeing past my use of the wrong words and giving me an answer.

Do you know why MS allows mutilple users to activate the same software
package?

Thanks
--
FL Consultant

FL Consultant wrote:
> Kurtrail,
>
> Please do not respond to my questions.

Sorry.

> I don't see where you provide
> any value but that you just want to add comments to questions.

Do you mean I was wrong and you wanted to unregister your upgrade of XP
on a particular computer?

> Thank you

You're Welcome.

--

FL Consultant wrote:
> Thanks for seeing past my use of the wrong words and giving me an
> answer.
>
> Do you know why MS allows mutilple users to activate the same software
> package?
>
> Thanks

Because even under MS's restrictive EULA you have the right to transfer
the copy of software to another.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I have never seen any topic on 'unregistering the product' with Microsoft.
In anycase this link is handy as far as registration privacy policy is
concerned.
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_prvcyms.mspx

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

FL Consultant wrote:
> I am sorry but you did not understand the question.
>
> How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is my
> understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do I
> unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..

You are confusing product activation with product registration.Kindly go
through the following link:-
'Product Activation Facts'
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

S.Sengupta wrote:
> I have never seen any topic on 'unregistering the product' with Microsoft.
> In anycase this link is handy as far as registration privacy policy is
> concerned.
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_prvcyms.mspx
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> FL Consultant wrote:
>
>> I am sorry but you did not understand the question.
>> How do I unregister with Microsoft? The XP Pro is registered. It is
>> my understanding that it can not be used on another computer. How do
>> I unregister with Microsoft. Not on the computer..

I actually have both a Dell and retail version of XP Pro. Thank you very
much for the insite to this.