How Do I Enter my 4 WEP keys in WinXP

Hi,

I do hope someone can help.

With XP SP2 I want to enter my 4 WEP keys for my wireless NIC but I can find
no documentation on how. In SP1 there were 4 separate locations for the
entry of the WEP keys but in SP2 there is only one for the network key.

Where do I enter the 4 separate user defined WEP keys in WinXP SP2?

Many thanks in advance

Stephen

Malke

Stephen Melis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do hope someone can help.
>
> With XP SP2 I want to enter my 4 WEP keys for my wireless NIC but I
> can find no documentation on how. In SP1 there were 4 separate
> locations for the entry of the WEP keys but in SP2 there is only one
> for the network key.
>
> Where do I enter the 4 separate user defined WEP keys in WinXP SP2?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Stephen

You don't need or want to enter 4 WEP keys. Only the first one is used.
The four spaces in SP1 were a bug.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I don't use wzc but have,,, and in mine there is a drop down box for keys
number 1,2,3,4 right under the drop down box for wep/wpa..etc and right
above the key entry box.

"Stephen Melis" <stephen.melisN.0.S.P.A.M@N0S.pam.bigpond.com> wrote in
message news:JzBpe.8756$F7.5181@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi,
>
> I do hope someone can help.
>
> With XP SP2 I want to enter my 4 WEP keys for my wireless NIC but I can
> find no documentation on how. In SP1 there were 4 separate locations for
> the entry of the WEP keys but in SP2 there is only one for the network
> key.
>
> Where do I enter the 4 separate user defined WEP keys in WinXP SP2?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Stephen

fwiw,
I never had sp1
and have four spaces
and one ap that requires all four keys in sequence.

> Stephen Melis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do hope someone can help.
>>
>> With XP SP2 I want to enter my 4 WEP keys for my wireless NIC but I
>> can find no documentation on how. In SP1 there were 4 separate
>> locations for the entry of the WEP keys but in SP2 there is only one
>> for the network key.
>>
>> Where do I enter the 4 separate user defined WEP keys in WinXP SP2?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance
>>
>> Stephen
>
> You don't need or want to enter 4 WEP keys. Only the first one is used.
> The four spaces in SP1 were a bug.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

bumtracks wrote:

> fwiw,
> I never had sp1
> and have four spaces
> and one ap that requires all four keys in sequence.

Well, everybody has different hardware and different programs on their
computers. However, what is most common is that the older wireless
routers (and of course this varied from brand to brand) had a place
where you could enter a passphrase, click a button, and it would
generate 4 WEP keys. This was confusing to people because a) they
thought they were supposed to enter the passphrase into the computer's
wireless configuration instead of the first key; and b) they were only
supposed to enter the first WEP key into the computer's wireless
configuration. The other three keys were not necessary. Unless the OP
has exactly your same hardware and application requirements, it is
unlikely that s/he needs to enter 4 keys anywhere.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I don't have that.. Directly under the choice for WEP/WPA is the network key
and the network key confirmation.

So my question is...how do I get windowsxp service pack 2 to ask for Key 1,
Key 2, Key 3, and Key 4 and then set the index.

Thanks in advance