Cleanup after XP SP2 Install

Installed SP2 on a WinXP Pro PC. So far all seems OK.
However, after the install (done through Automatic Updates),
I now have the following huge directories:

C:\Internet Logs - 155MB
C:\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
C:\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB
C:\"My Profile"\Temp - 750MB

....And SP2 $Uninstall$ files - 331MB

That's close to 2.5GB of drive space! Geez. Was that really necessary?
I will delete the Temp files, clean out the Internet Logs folder and
maybe delete the ...$Uninstall$ files (I know it's the SP2 uninstall) ... what else
can I delete? Are the C:\ServicePackFiles and C:\SoftwareDistribution folders OK to delete?
5 answers Last reply
More about cleanup install

    Sorry... those are in C:\Windows\

    C:\Windows\Internet Logs - 155MB
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB

    "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23OzA9ADbFHA.2380@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Installed SP2 on a WinXP Pro PC. So far all seems OK.
    > However, after the install (done through Automatic Updates),
    > I now have the following huge directories:
    >
    > C:\Internet Logs - 155MB
    > C:\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
    > C:\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB
    > C:\"My Profile"\Temp - 750MB
    >
    > ...And SP2 $Uninstall$ files - 331MB
    >
    > That's close to 2.5GB of drive space! Geez. Was that really necessary?
    > I will delete the Temp files, clean out the Internet Logs folder and
    > maybe delete the ...$Uninstall$ files (I know it's the SP2 uninstall) ... what else
    > can I delete? Are the C:\ServicePackFiles and C:\SoftwareDistribution folders OK to delete?

    I know that C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles are used whenever Windows File
    Protection "replaces" a core system file. If the system file had been
    change, it will look in this directory. Also, whenever you select "sfc" to
    repair corrupt or missing Windows files, it will use this directory.

    > Sorry... those are in C:\Windows\
    >
    > C:\Windows\Internet Logs - 155MB
    > C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
    > C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB
    >

    > "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Installed SP2 on a WinXP Pro PC. So far all seems OK.
    >> However, after the install (done through Automatic Updates),
    >> I now have the following huge directories:
    >>
    >> C:\Internet Logs - 155MB
    >> C:\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
    >> C:\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB
    >> C:\"My Profile"\Temp - 750MB
    >>
    >> ...And SP2 $Uninstall$ files - 331MB
    >>
    >> That's close to 2.5GB of drive space! Geez. Was that really necessary?
    >> I will delete the Temp files, clean out the Internet Logs folder and
    >> maybe delete the ...$Uninstall$ files (I know it's the SP2 uninstall) ...
    >> what else
    >> can I delete? Are the C:\ServicePackFiles and C:\SoftwareDistribution
    >> folders OK to delete?

    Tidying Up After Installing SP2
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    RJ wrote:

    > Installed SP2 on a WinXP Pro PC. So far all seems OK.
    > However, after the install (done through Automatic Updates),
    > I now have the following huge directories:
    >
    > C:\Internet Logs - 155MB
    > C:\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
    > C:\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB
    > C:\"My Profile"\Temp - 750MB
    >
    > ...And SP2 $Uninstall$ files - 331MB
    >
    > That's close to 2.5GB of drive space! Geez. Was that really necessary?
    > I will delete the Temp files, clean out the Internet Logs folder and
    > maybe delete the ...$Uninstall$ files (I know it's the SP2 uninstall) ... what else
    > can I delete? Are the C:\ServicePackFiles and C:\SoftwareDistribution folders OK to delete?

    Thanks!

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message news:OAmPLSDbFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Tidying Up After Installing SP2
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > RJ wrote:
    >
    >> Installed SP2 on a WinXP Pro PC. So far all seems OK.
    >> However, after the install (done through Automatic Updates),
    >> I now have the following huge directories:
    >>
    >> C:\Internet Logs - 155MB
    >> C:\ServicePackFiles - 501MB
    >> C:\SoftwareDistribution - 527MB
    >> C:\"My Profile"\Temp - 750MB
    >>
    >> ...And SP2 $Uninstall$ files - 331MB
    >>
    >> That's close to 2.5GB of drive space! Geez. Was that really necessary?
    >> I will delete the Temp files, clean out the Internet Logs folder and
    >> maybe delete the ...$Uninstall$ files (I know it's the SP2 uninstall) ... what else
    >> can I delete? Are the C:\ServicePackFiles and C:\SoftwareDistribution folders OK to delete?

    windows\internet logs\ is a zone alarm folder.

    the tvdebug.log file can sometimes get large, and can be deleted.

    the .rdb and .ldb files you need, if you delete them you'll lose the list
    of programs that have been allowed/disallowed.

Windows XP Internet