Total file size in a folder

I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.
6 answers Last reply
More about total file size folder

    View, Status Bar.

    alice wrote:

    > I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
    > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
    > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
    > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
    > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
    > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
    > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

    Thank you Bob, it works.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > View, Status Bar.
    >
    > alice wrote:
    >
    > > I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
    > > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
    > > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
    > > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
    > > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
    > > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
    > > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

    Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
    Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
    size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the
    file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
    command from Start, Run dialog.

    regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll

    Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
    Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
    + key combination to resize the column width, so that the Folder Size column
    is displayed correctly.

    To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
    the View tab and click Apply to all folders.
    To remove the feature, simply un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u
    %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore error messages if any.

    You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
    > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
    > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on
    > the
    > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of
    > the
    > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property
    > it
    > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is
    > not
    > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

    Does this fit the bill

    http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/treesize.shtml

    "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
    > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
    > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on
    > the
    > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of
    > the
    > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property
    > it
    > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is
    > not
    > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

    Thank you for the info. I was hoping that there's a function within XP Home
    what could provide this info rather than installing something extra from a
    3rd party to get it as such function is available in Win 98 and 2000.

    "Paul" wrote:

    > Does this fit the bill
    >
    > http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/treesize.shtml
    >
    > "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
    > > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
    > > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on
    > > the
    > > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of
    > > the
    > > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property
    > > it
    > > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is
    > > not
    > > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

    You're welcome, have a good day.

    alice wrote:

    > Thank you Bob, it works.
    >

    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>View, Status Bar.
    >>
    >>alice wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
    >>>left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
    >>>column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
    >>>bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
    >>>file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
    >>>will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
    >>>as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

File Size Windows XP Microsoft Explorer Displays