alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

View, Status Bar.

alice wrote:

> I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
> left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
> column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
> bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
> file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
> will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
> as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

Thank you Bob, it works.

"Bob I" wrote:

> View, Status Bar.
>
> alice wrote:
>
> > I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
> > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
> > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on the
> > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of the
> > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property it
> > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is not
> > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the
file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
command from Start, Run dialog.

regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll

Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
+ key combination to resize the column width, so that the Folder Size column
is displayed correctly.

To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
the View tab and click Apply to all folders.
To remove the feature, simply un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u
%Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore error messages if any.

You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
> left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
> column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on
> the
> bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of
> the
> file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property
> it
> will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is
> not
> as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

Paul

Splendid

Does this fit the bill

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/treesize.shtml

"alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
> left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
> column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on
> the
> bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of
> the
> file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property
> it
> will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is
> not
> as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

Thank you for the info. I was hoping that there's a function within XP Home
what could provide this info rather than installing something extra from a
3rd party to get it as such function is available in Win 98 and 2000.

"Paul" wrote:

> Does this fit the bill
>
> http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/treesize.shtml
>
> "alice" <alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using XP Home and when I am in explorer and click on a folder on the
> > left column, it would give me a list of sub-folders and files on the right
> > column with file size. However it doesn't display the total file size on
> > the
> > bottom as with Window 98 or 2000. Any idea how I can obtain a display of
> > the
> > file size total ? I know if I right click on a folder and go to property
> > it
> > will give me the total size (this doesn't work for recycle box) but it is
> > not
> > as convenient as if I can get this info in explorer.

You're welcome, have a good day.