Windows XP Professional Install Problem

June 8, 2005 11:03:16 AM

I am having trouble installing Windows XP. The System:

K8S-MX Asus Motherboard
1024MB Kingston RAM
200GB Western Digital SATA HD
CD-ROM IDE Samsung
Audigy 2 Soundblaster Card
6600 ASUS Nvidia Graphics Card
3700+ AMD Chip

I created the floppy with the proper RAID drivers from the ASUS motherboard
CD-ROM. Windows will load the drivers and then ask if I want to create a
partition (I just create one large partition for simplicity). Then it asks me
to format. After I choose the (slow) format of NTFS, it will come back ~5
minutes later telling me that it cannot format the disk because of errors and
to check to make sure the HD is properly installed and not corrupted. I have
gone back and tried to quick format the HD, which it says it does
successfully but when it tries to copy the files over to the HD it gets stuck
at various points. I am at a loss here as to what is going on. The other
problem that arises is that after a RESET it gets to a certian point during
recognizing the hardware and then stops. Sometimes, it stops right after the
ASUS marquee screen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:10:02 AM

yes..buy a new hard drive, all of the problems you discribed could be due to
your harddrive being broken

"Bob" wrote:

> I am having trouble installing Windows XP. The System:
>
> K8S-MX Asus Motherboard
> 1024MB Kingston RAM
> 200GB Western Digital SATA HD
> CD-ROM IDE Samsung
> Audigy 2 Soundblaster Card
> 6600 ASUS Nvidia Graphics Card
> 3700+ AMD Chip
>
> I created the floppy with the proper RAID drivers from the ASUS motherboard
> CD-ROM. Windows will load the drivers and then ask if I want to create a
> partition (I just create one large partition for simplicity). Then it asks me
> to format. After I choose the (slow) format of NTFS, it will come back ~5
> minutes later telling me that it cannot format the disk because of errors and
> to check to make sure the HD is properly installed and not corrupted. I have
> gone back and tried to quick format the HD, which it says it does
> successfully but when it tries to copy the files over to the HD it gets stuck
> at various points. I am at a loss here as to what is going on. The other
> problem that arises is that after a RESET it gets to a certian point during
> recognizing the hardware and then stops. Sometimes, it stops right after the
> ASUS marquee screen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

June 8, 2005 11:16:24 AM

first things first, check your ram in another system, if ok do you have good
cooling to your cpu ? remove sound card and try install without, download
utilty from makers website and check harddrive integrity
--
there are no problems, just challenges

"Bob" wrote:

> I am having trouble installing Windows XP. The System:
>
> K8S-MX Asus Motherboard
> 1024MB Kingston RAM
> 200GB Western Digital SATA HD
> CD-ROM IDE Samsung
> Audigy 2 Soundblaster Card
> 6600 ASUS Nvidia Graphics Card
> 3700+ AMD Chip
>
> I created the floppy with the proper RAID drivers from the ASUS motherboard
> CD-ROM. Windows will load the drivers and then ask if I want to create a
> partition (I just create one large partition for simplicity). Then it asks me
> to format. After I choose the (slow) format of NTFS, it will come back ~5
> minutes later telling me that it cannot format the disk because of errors and
> to check to make sure the HD is properly installed and not corrupted. I have
> gone back and tried to quick format the HD, which it says it does
> successfully but when it tries to copy the files over to the HD it gets stuck
> at various points. I am at a loss here as to what is going on. The other
> problem that arises is that after a RESET it gets to a certian point during
> recognizing the hardware and then stops. Sometimes, it stops right after the
> ASUS marquee screen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

June 8, 2005 2:13:14 PM

RAID drivers need to know the RAID setup on the RAID controller. Unless you
are trying to use the SATA ports in a non-RAID style, you need at least 2
hard drives connected. I am not sure if the RAID drivers would allow only
for the single drive to be installed.

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble installing Windows XP. The System:
>
> K8S-MX Asus Motherboard
> 1024MB Kingston RAM
> 200GB Western Digital SATA HD
> CD-ROM IDE Samsung
> Audigy 2 Soundblaster Card
> 6600 ASUS Nvidia Graphics Card
> 3700+ AMD Chip
>
> I created the floppy with the proper RAID drivers from the ASUS
> motherboard
> CD-ROM. Windows will load the drivers and then ask if I want to create a
> partition (I just create one large partition for simplicity). Then it asks
> me
> to format. After I choose the (slow) format of NTFS, it will come back ~5
> minutes later telling me that it cannot format the disk because of errors
> and
> to check to make sure the HD is properly installed and not corrupted. I
> have
> gone back and tried to quick format the HD, which it says it does
> successfully but when it tries to copy the files over to the HD it gets
> stuck
> at various points. I am at a loss here as to what is going on. The other
> problem that arises is that after a RESET it gets to a certian point
> during
> recognizing the hardware and then stops. Sometimes, it stops right after
> the
> ASUS marquee screen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

June 8, 2005 2:58:16 PM

Bob wrote:
>> I am having trouble installing Windows XP. The System:
>>
>> K8S-MX Asus Motherboard

"OOOOOOOOOOOO"

>> 1024MB Kingston RAM

"WOOOOOOOOW"

>> 200GB Western Digital SATA HD

"KEWWWWWL"

>> CD-ROM IDE Samsung

" "

>> Audigy 2 Soundblaster Card

"NYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYCE"

>> 6600 ASUS Nvidia Graphics Card

"OOO LA LA"

>> 3700+ AMD Chip

"You doooooooooooon't say?"

>> I created the floppy with the proper RAID drivers from the ASUS
>> motherboard CD-ROM. Windows will load the drivers and then ask if I
>> want to create a partition (I just create one large partition for
>> simplicity). Then it asks me to format. After I choose the (slow)
>> format of NTFS, it will come back ~5 minutes later telling me that
>> it cannot format the disk because of errors and to check to make
>> sure the HD is properly installed and not corrupted. I have gone
>> back and tried to quick format the HD, which it says it does
>> successfully but when it tries to copy the files over to the HD it
>> gets stuck at various points. I am at a loss here as to what is
>> going on. The other problem that arises is that after a RESET it
>> gets to a certian point during recognizing the hardware and then
>> stops. Sometimes, it stops right after the ASUS marquee screen. Any
>> thoughts would be much appreciated.

Make sure your BIOS is properly set. There may be a number of choices vis a
vis SATA and your BIOS probably has it wrong. And while you are at it, makes
sure everything is seated well and that the IDE CD-ROM is jumpered and
installed correctly.
!