Bugged Bug

Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
decided this was no place for a Miner. Assuming it was dead I came
back and looked for its ghost. (It was bonded). No ghost to be found.

Now I have to look for another Fire Beetle. Just hope the next one is
not bugged also.

Ice
26 answers Last reply
More about bugged
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
    >Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    >I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    >I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    >decided this was no place for a Miner.

    "All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    slow.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
    > >Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    > >I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    > >I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    > >decided this was no place for a Miner.
    >
    > "All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    > a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    > slow.
    >
    > D.
    > --

    Sometimes pets just get "bugged" and no amount of "all stop" will cure them.
    I tamed a beetle for Barefoot Princes earlier this year and it turned out to
    be a bugged bug. If one would dismount, it would dash off in random
    directions. We tried everything; stabling, bonding, transferring, rezzing
    but no joy. Someone finally put the sorry bugger down.

    The problem seems to have something to do with a pet that was attacking
    someone that recalled away. The pets "last target" seems to get stuck and
    the pet will always charge off towards where it "thinks" it's foe is
    located.

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:35:22 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

    >Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    >I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    >I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    >decided this was no place for a Miner. Assuming it was dead I came
    >back and looked for its ghost. (It was bonded). No ghost to be found.
    >
    >Now I have to look for another Fire Beetle. Just hope the next one is
    >not bugged also.
    >
    >Ice

    What pets need is a collar and name tag. I see so many ghost pets stuck
    in the forests there on Homare. It would be cool to vet them back to life
    then be able to somehow return them to their owners.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:22:25 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:

    >Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
    >>Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    >>I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    >>I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    >>decided this was no place for a Miner.
    >
    >"All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    >a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    >slow.
    >
    >D.
    That's the point of the "Bugged Bug". This one would not STOP, or FOLLOW.
    I have the macros. I have played a tamer character. I know how they are
    "supposed" to act. This one was bugged and would not respond to commands.

    Ice
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:11:16 -0800, "Todd Bailey"
    <toddbailey25@-NoSpam-hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
    >> >Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    >> >I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    >> >I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    >> >decided this was no place for a Miner.
    >>
    >> "All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    >> a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> D.
    >> --
    >

    >Sometimes pets just get "bugged" and no amount of "all stop" will cure them.
    >I tamed a beetle for Barefoot Princes earlier this year and it turned out to
    >be a bugged bug. If one would dismount, it would dash off in random
    >directions. We tried everything; stabling, bonding, transferring, rezzing
    >but no joy. Someone finally put the sorry bugger down.
    >
    >The problem seems to have something to do with a pet that was attacking
    >someone that recalled away. The pets "last target" seems to get stuck and
    >the pet will always charge off towards where it "thinks" it's foe is
    >located.

    That is what this one did. If I got off, it just charged off. I thought it
    was cured. I got off in a mining cave and it stayed with me, then I got
    off outside and it took off faster than I have ever seen any thing in UO
    travel. I could not keep up. I was hitting my macro "all follow" as I
    chased after it. Then I ran into Ants.......

    One more ghost pet to wonder around until they decide to clear the server.
    There has been a ghost horse in one of the despise dungeon for two weeks.
    It was still there last night. All the ghost pets has got to put more stress on
    the servers, wonder why they have not cleared them.

    Ice
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Ice" <Ice@noplace.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:11:16 -0800, "Todd Bailey"
    > <toddbailey25@-NoSpam-hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    >>> a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    >>> slow.
    >>>
    >>> D.
    >>> --
    >>

    >>Sometimes pets just get "bugged" and no amount of "all stop" will cure
    >>them.
    >>I tamed a beetle for Barefoot Princes earlier this year and it turned out
    >>be a bugged bug. If one would dismount, it would dash off in random
    >>directions. We tried everything; stabling, bonding, transferring, rezzing
    >>but no joy. Someone finally put the sorry bugger down.
    >>
    >>The problem seems to have something to do with a pet that was attacking
    >>someone that recalled away. The pets "last target" seems to get stuck and
    >>the pet will always charge off towards where it "thinks" it's foe is
    >>located.
    >>
    > That is what this one did. If I got off, it just charged off. I thought
    > it
    > was cured. I got off in a mining cave and it stayed with me, then I got
    > off outside and it took off faster than I have ever seen any thing in UO
    > travel. I could not keep up. I was hitting my macro "all follow" as I
    > chased after it. Then I ran into Ants.......

    Yep, I had the same problem.
    I have a theory that, due to it's 'unusual' colour scheme, the beetle gets
    it into its head that it is a paragon, and takes off at similar speeds. I
    was on an Ethy horse when my fire bug went mental, and I couldn't keep up
    with it. Fortunately, I found it again about 10 minutes later, a very, very
    long way from where it did a runner - they do seem to travel in straight
    lines, as much as possible.He will live in a stable until such a time as I
    get something other than canned responses from a GM, and the devs announce a
    fix!

    One tip for miners with bugs that have shown signs of this - when you get
    them out of a stable, make sure you are standing in a closed stall. At least
    that way, you stand a chance of being able to re-stable the stupid creature
    if he instantly heads for the wall...
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:35:22 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

    >Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    >I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    >I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    >decided this was no place for a Miner. Assuming it was dead I came
    >back and looked for its ghost. (It was bonded). No ghost to be found.

    My beetle took off one time and I lost it for several hours. It was
    right after that incident that I bought a pet summoning crystal ball
    and set to him. He's escaped a couple time since, but now I only have
    to go to the house ...get the ball and bring him back. It's pretty
    handy to have. I need to get one for some of my other characters
    though.

    bolt
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    > a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    > slow.

    Ice has been playing UO since it first released. Do you think she would
    know this basic command by now.

    You think she is dumb or something?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Todd Bailey wrote:
    > "Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    >>>I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    >>>I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    >>>decided this was no place for a Miner.
    >>
    >>"All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    >>a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    >>slow.
    >>
    >>D.
    >>--
    >

    > Sometimes pets just get "bugged" and no amount of "all stop" will cure them.
    > I tamed a beetle for Barefoot Princes earlier this year and it turned out to
    > be a bugged bug. If one would dismount, it would dash off in random
    > directions. We tried everything; stabling, bonding, transferring, rezzing
    > but no joy. Someone finally put the sorry bugger down.
    >
    > The problem seems to have something to do with a pet that was attacking
    > someone that recalled away. The pets "last target" seems to get stuck and
    > the pet will always charge off towards where it "thinks" it's foe is
    > located.

    Try "all kill" and target something weak like a mongbat or headless.
    Seems to work for some bad behaving pets.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:02:34 GMT, Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >> The problem seems to have something to do with a pet that was attacking
    >> someone that recalled away. The pets "last target" seems to get stuck and
    >> the pet will always charge off towards where it "thinks" it's foe is
    >> located.
    >
    >Try "all kill" and target something weak like a mongbat or headless.
    >Seems to work for some bad behaving pets.

    I tried that, but it did not work.. I think the only thing I did not use
    before it ran off, was the summoning crystal ball. If I have another
    bugged one, I will try that. Now, all I have to do is find someone to
    get me another one. I am really not up to going into that dungeon alone
    to try it myself.

    Ice
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:10:55 -0600, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.com> wrote:

    >"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "All Stop" "All Follow Me" macros are handy for anyone that depends on
    >> a pet, and a ghost will obey the commands, though they move glacially
    >> slow.
    >
    >Ice has been playing UO since it first released. Do you think she would
    >know this basic command by now.
    >
    >You think she is dumb or something?

    Troll, even us oldbies need reminders sometimes.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > Troll, even us oldbies need reminders sometimes.

    Did you just call Ice, OLD ?
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:01:32 -0600, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.com> wrote:

    >"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Troll, even us oldbies need reminders sometimes.
    >
    >Did you just call Ice, OLD ?

    That's ok, I am old......... *grin*

    Ice
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:34:37 GMT, Ice@noplace.com (Ice) wrote:

    >On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:01:32 -0600, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Troll, even us oldbies need reminders sometimes.
    >>
    >>Did you just call Ice, OLD ?
    >>
    >That's ok, I am old......... *grin*
    >
    >Ice

    Anyhow you know that oldbie parlance as opposed to oldie, refers to how
    long we've been playing UO. :)

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > Well, I lost my "bugged" bug. I was trying to "de-bug" it, but when
    > I got off of it, it ran off so fast I could not keep up with it.
    > I looked for it for about 30 min., until I ran into some Ants, and
    > decided this was no place for a Miner. Assuming it was dead I came
    > back and looked for its ghost. (It was bonded). No ghost to be found.
    >
    > Now I have to look for another Fire Beetle. Just hope the next one is
    > not bugged also.

    slightly off topic - but does anyone actually find Fire Beetles to be
    useful?
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the points below, but...
    As far as I can see, you STILL need an anvil. You can count the number of
    anvils lying around that DON'T have a forge nearby on one hand - apart from
    those inside houses, of course.

    I would imagine that every miner who ever built a house has both a forge and
    an anvil in it.
    You have to get off the bug to use it. This means that:
    1. There's a chance that the bug will head off to attack anything that
    wanders by that it thinks is a threat - e.g. wandering mongbats, etc.
    2. If you're not in town, it's vulnerable.
    3. It takes up a LOT more space than a small forge.
    4. It's prone to the rampant runaway bug bug.

    So, what's the idea? To save a tiny bit of space in houses?
    <sarcasm>Wow, what a way to help smiths and miners! Thanks, guys! </sarcasm>

    Not to mention that in battle, it's about as much use as a string bikini,
    and draws about the same amount of attention as one.

    Now, if I've got the wrong end of the stick, and you can use it while
    riding, and there's a mini anvil hidden in there somewhere that I can't
    find, fine. But, if not, it seems to be almost as useless as most of the
    young player ticket rewards.

    Anyone? Or have I completely missed the plot?
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:07:43 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
    <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >slightly off topic - but does anyone actually find Fire Beetles to be
    >useful?
    >Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the points below, but...
    >As far as I can see, you STILL need an anvil.

    You do NOT need an anvil to smelt ore. If your a miner, you have to
    get off your beetle to mine for ore anyway. With the Fire Beetle you
    can mine, smelt, and mine some more. No reason to pack it all back
    to your house to smelt. Miners with the Blue Beetles, or a packie has
    always had the problem of them taking off after something, so there
    is no difference. If you so not mine with a pack animal of some kind,
    you cant carry enough ore to be worth while.

    Now that I have a Fire Beetle that is not "bugged", I find it a
    pleasure not to have to return to the house to smelt as often.

    Just MHO,

    Ice
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Anyone? Or have I completely missed the plot?

    Slightly missed it I think... Miners don't need anvils.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

    >Now that I have a Fire Beetle that is not "bugged", I find it a
    >pleasure not to have to return to the house to smelt as often.

    Hm? I never return to my house to smelt. Usually a house nearby has
    a forge available. (I mine in Tram however.) Ilsh of course is
    different.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone? Or have I completely missed the plot?
    >
    > Slightly missed it I think... Miners don't need anvils.
    >
    > D.
    > --
    > Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Aha. Very true. Sorry - I'd got the idea from somewhere that it was aimed at
    miners AND smiths - probably from some of the constant complaining on
    Stratics...
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:44:44 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
    <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone? Or have I completely missed the plot?
    >>
    >> Slightly missed it I think... Miners don't need anvils.
    >>
    >> D.
    >> --
    >> Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
    >>
    >Aha. Very true. Sorry - I'd got the idea from somewhere that it was aimed at
    >miners AND smiths - probably from some of the constant complaining on
    >Stratics...

    Miners? Smiths?

    Darn, I thought Fire Beetles were new uber vehicles for Ice Dungeon
    spelunkers.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On 10 dec 2004 Ice was heard to say:

    > Now that I have a Fire Beetle that is not "bugged", I find it a
    > pleasure not to have to return to the house to smelt as often.

    Which of the bugs are you referring to here ?
    The 'take off in random direction and disappear' ?
    or the 'do 100% fire and 100% physical = 1 damage' ?
    I have put my fire beetle in a stable for now since my miner
    is not exactly the second coming with regards to his combat
    skills, and the beetle can hardly gnaw a rabbit to death
    without being severely wounded himself :(
    On the other hand, the little I've used him, he has not
    shown the tendency to run away..

    --
    John Hinge - shayera / .sPOOn. http://www.spoon.dvd-klub.dk
    On usenet I represent no one but myself.

    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:44:44 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
    > <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Slightly missed it I think... Miners don't need anvils.
    >>>
    >>> D.
    >>> --
    >>> Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
    >>>
    >>Aha. Very true. Sorry - I'd got the idea from somewhere that it was aimed
    >>at
    >>miners AND smiths - probably from some of the constant complaining on
    >>Stratics...
    >>
    > Miners? Smiths?
    >
    > Darn, I thought Fire Beetles were new uber vehicles for Ice Dungeon
    > spelunkers.
    I wish. Unfortunately, mine recently took over 20 minutes, and a good supply
    of bandages, to kill 2 mongbats who teamed up to gank the poor thing. I've
    seen tougher chickens! In a fight, an 'old' blue beetle would probably
    survive an attack from at least 50 of the new beetles - and that's without
    much training.
    I've tried mine while mining, and it IS useful there - thanks people!
    (*feels stupid*) However, if it comes to mining in Fel, he's staying in the
    stable. I don't need a guard that only lasts for 1 1/2 seconds!
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "John Hinge" <sidekick_gimmenospam_@nntp.dk> wrote in message
    > On 10 dec 2004 Ice was heard to say:
    >
    >> Now that I have a Fire Beetle that is not "bugged", I find it a
    >> pleasure not to have to return to the house to smelt as often.
    >>
    > Which of the bugs are you referring to here ?
    > The 'take off in random direction and disappear' ?
    > or the 'do 100% fire and 100% physical = 1 damage' ?
    > I have put my fire beetle in a stable for now since my miner
    > is not exactly the second coming with regards to his combat
    > skills, and the beetle can hardly gnaw a rabbit to death
    > without being severely wounded himself :(
    > On the other hand, the little I've used him, he has not
    > shown the tendency to run away..

    Mine's been staying put lately, too - but has the combat situation been
    addressed yet? The last time I tried training mine, the mongbats nearly
    won... and a chicken doesn't go through as many bandies as this
    glow-in-the-dark bug! I don't see any point in taking him out for training
    again until something's done about it. If the idea was to eat up pet slots,
    wave an orange flag in the face of any attackers, and leave the miner fairly
    defenceless, I'd say they did a fantastic job. Admittedly, the blue bug uses
    as many slots, but at least it can fight SOME monsters off!
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Admittedly, the blue bug uses
    >as many slots, but at least it can fight SOME monsters off!

    A blue bug can take on -and win- against any Tram surface spawn a
    miner is likely to encounter... If the miner takes the time and
    effort to train him. I'd not try him against Liches or Solen, but's
    more than a match for Ogres, Harpies, etc....

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Admittedly, the blue bug uses
    >>as many slots, but at least it can fight SOME monsters off!
    >
    > A blue bug can take on -and win- against any Tram surface spawn a
    > miner is likely to encounter... If the miner takes the time and
    > effort to train him. I'd not try him against Liches or Solen, but's
    > more than a match for Ogres, Harpies, etc....

    My point exactly Fire bugs do not seem to have been created with any kind
    of combat in mind - whether that's fair or not is a matter of opinion. In
    your opinion, how many Fire Beetles would it take to kill a blue bug, if the
    owners were not vetting them? 50? 100? more?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Admittedly, the blue bug uses
    >>>as many slots, but at least it can fight SOME monsters off!
    >>
    >> A blue bug can take on -and win- against any Tram surface spawn a
    >> miner is likely to encounter... If the miner takes the time and
    >> effort to train him. I'd not try him against Liches or Solen, but's
    >> more than a match for Ogres, Harpies, etc....
    >>
    >My point exactly Fire bugs do not seem to have been created with any kind
    >of combat in mind - whether that's fair or not is a matter of opinion. In
    >your opinion, how many Fire Beetles would it take to kill a blue bug, if the
    >owners were not vetting them? 50? 100? more?

    Fire bugs are bugged. The Dev team has yet to acknowledge this.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

    Oct 5th, 2004 JDL