It's about time! Environmental "green" audio system

Last response: in Home Audio
September 14, 2004 3:34:22 AM

Japan Gadget Turns Plants Into Speakers
Mon Sep 13, 1:44 PM

TOKYO - The therapeutic power of flowers takes on new meaning with a Japanese
gadget that turns plants into audio speakers, making the petals and leaves
tremble with good vibrations.

Called Ka-on, which means "flower sound" in Japanese, the machine consists of a
donut-shaped magnet and coil at the base of a vase that hooks up to a CD
player, stereo or TV.

Place the flowers into the vase, turn on Ka-on and the magnet and coil relay
the sound vibrations up the stems through the plant's water tubes.

Near your ear and hear the music emanate from the petals. Touch a leaf, and
feel it shake as though in a quiet dance.

Later this month, you'll be able to carry on a telephone conversation with a
flower with a planned speaker phone model.

Unlike regular speakers, which send sound in one direction, Ka-on shoots it in
all directions, filling an entire room with music in a more natural ambiance.

Masumi Gotoh, president of Let's Corp., a Nagoya-based
telecommuncations-equipment company that developed and manufactures Ka-on,
calls it ideal for flower table-arrangements at weddings, reception desks at
hospitals and decoration at restaurants.

Ka-on vases and amplifiers come in various sizes, ranging in price from $46 to
$460. There's a version that works with potted plants, and a wireless
connection will soon be available for piping music to the Ka-on.

Not only does Ka-on deliver flowery music, it keeps bugs off plants and helps
cut flowers last longer, Gotoh claims.

"The plant is happy listening to music," says Gotoh, showing off a rubber plant
hooked up to Ka-on in his Tokyo office. "Gerberas and sunflowers work
especially well as speakers."

Ka-on is also being used for concerts. Several Ka-on were planted near a bamboo
grove to play music at a recent event in Japan.

About 3,000 of $46 Ka-on version, on sale via the Internet since July, have
been sold and some 10,000 orders have been received so far.

---

On the Net:

Let's Corp.: http://www.lets-co.co.jp/english/index.htm
September 15, 2004 3:19:51 AM

Radioman390 wrote:

> Near your ear and hear the music emanate from the petals. Touch a
> leaf, and feel it shake as though in a quiet dance.

That means the sound is so low, you have to come really close to hear it.

> Later this month, you'll be able to carry on a telephone conversation
> with a flower with a planned speaker phone model.
>
> Unlike regular speakers, which send sound in one direction, Ka-on
> shoots it in all directions, filling an entire room with music in a
> more natural ambiance.

Hey, this group is called high-end. Did you hear those shakers, I bet you
get much better sound when you glue them to the window-glass (but still not
acceptable).
Here you can see again how many of us will misinterpret a commercial
advertisement, similar to the quack-style. Someone even copies the whole
thing, thinking it is something new.
Those shakers have been around for ages, the new thing is, one Japonnese
puts a vase on top and voila, with a good web-page you can sell thousands
overpriced. You can get good shakers for 15 to 20 bucks here in the west.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy