domain validation delay

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Is there some way to change the "domain authentication timeout" (for
lack of a better term) under Windows XP? Here's the situation:

I have a laptop that I log into with my corporate AD account. However,
when I am not on the corporate network, I obviously cannot get
authenticated. In such a situation, I log on with cached credentials.

The problem is the DELAY while the laptop tries to authenticate with
the AD domain. The laptop sits there, prior to launchnig the full GUI
(only my background is displayed), for about 5 minutes, at which point
I finally get logged in fully via cached credentials and have access
to the full GUI.

Basically, I want to decrease that 5 minute delay to around 30
seconds...

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hi, Joe -

Somebody might come up with a different answer than me, but I don't
believe that timeout is adjustable.

I did find a KB article that might shed some light on things -

"You experience a delay when you use your Windows XP computer to log on
to a domain or to connect to a network resource"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832161

I hope this helps -