Nethawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When i boot up Xp it takes about 3-4 minutes before it took less than 1
minute i noticed my hard drive is running in PIO mode ive tried alot of fixes
but my hard drive is still in PIO mode,ive tried uninstalling the
channel,editing the registry and changing the atapi.sys file to the one from
sp1, and nothing i dont know what else to do, oh and when the bios are
hitachi and it says that the hard drive is also in UDMA mode 5 but as soon as
xp boots up it goes to PIO mode i seriously need help with this

thx in advanced

Malke

nethawk wrote:

> When i boot up Xp it takes about 3-4 minutes before it took less than
> 1 minute i noticed my hard drive is running in PIO mode ive tried alot
> of fixes but my hard drive is still in PIO mode,ive tried uninstalling
> the channel,editing the registry and changing the atapi.sys file to
> the one from
> sp1, and nothing i dont know what else to do, oh and when the bios
> are loading the hard drive is in UDMA mode 5 ive also run the feature
> tool from hitachi and it says that the hard drive is also in UDMA mode
> 5 but as soon as
> xp boots up it goes to PIO mode i seriously need help with this
>
> thx in advanced

If you have tried everything to get your drive into the proper mode and
it won't go, you have hardware problems. Test the drive with a
diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive mftr.'s website. Usually
you will make either a bootable floppy or cd-r. Boot with the media you
created and do a thorough test. If the drive tests OK, then the problem
will be on the motherboard. Other things to test:

1. Reseat the ribbon cable on both ends.

2. Swap out the ribbon cable with a known-working one, making sure it is
the correct type for your drive; i.e., not a 40-wire one if you really
need an 80-wire one.

3. Do the hard drive diagnostic test.

4. You can try a motherboard test, but another way is to attach a
different, known-working drive or to attach your original drive to a
different computer. If your original drive works fine in the other
computer, you know it's the m/b that is at fault.

A lot of hardware testing depends on having extra parts and/or computers
available. If you don't have this, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) where
they will have the necessary equipment.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Run C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc
Dbl-clk IDE...Controllers & Dbl-clk each entry till u
see where PIO is.
Now uninstall driver & reboot
Did this 1 month ago- piece of cake.

I seriously doubt tho that ur boot time will go back to
1min!

Search 4 my(ljl269) post within last week with 50% &
services in title.

HTH-Larry

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:17:04 -0700, "nethawk"
<nethawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|When i boot up Xp it takes about 3-4 minutes before it took less than 1
|minute i noticed my hard drive is running in PIO mode ive tried alot of fixes
|but my hard drive is still in PIO mode,ive tried uninstalling the
|channel,editing the registry and changing the atapi.sys file to the one from
|sp1, and nothing i dont know what else to do, oh and when the bios are
|hitachi and it says that the hard drive is also in UDMA mode 5 but as soon as
|xp boots up it goes to PIO mode i seriously need help with this
|
|thx in advanced

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Nethawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ive tried uninstalling the channel already it dont work the drive in PIO mode
is my OS drive