Tara Labs Raided - Over 42,000 Cables Seized

Last response: in Home Audio
September 15, 2004 3:27:44 AM

Ah..good to see somebody is doing something rather than being an armchair
critic. I wish more would step forward to expose other companies selling $50
China made cables for more than 10 times after rebranding them. And also
don't forget about Loudspeakers car audio equipments. JREF how about making
an official complaint against snake oil peddlers?

Tara Labs Raided - Over 42,000 Cables Seized

written by: Jerry Del Colliano
date: September 13, 2004

Police raided the offices and warehouse of Ashland, Oregon-based high-end
audio cable company Tara Labs last week, according to news sources. The raid
is reportedly due to the company falsely claiming to make their cables in
the United States when they were outsourcing the manufacturing overseas.

Mathew Bond, the founder of Tara Labs, denies knowing of the infraction and
claims, "These mistakes were rectified and won't happen here again." That
might not be good enough for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),
which has been tracking the alleged violations since 2000.

The raids come just days before the CEDIA trade show that highlights the
best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was not
in attendance at the show.

Other high-end cable manufacturers spoke out about the scandal, suggesting
that there may be more cable companies that do worse than repackage cable
from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great harm to
the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along with
others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of cables
for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference in
an AV system, but they are wrong. Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not
taint the consumers' view on the need for high-performance cables in home
theater systems.

Source: Mail Tribune

source: http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:42:16 AM

This has very little to do with so-called "snake oil" and more about truth
in labeling. "Made in USA" as a label has to have a certain amount of US
content (90% or 75% I don't recall which).

On 9/14/04 7:27 PM, in article ci7upg011lq@news2.newsguy.com, "Chelvam"
<chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:

> Ah..good to see somebody is doing something rather than being an armchair
> critic. I wish more would step forward to expose other companies selling $50
> China made cables for more than 10 times after rebranding them. And also
> don't forget about Loudspeakers car audio equipments. JREF how about making
> an official complaint against snake oil peddlers?
>
> Tara Labs Raided - Over 42,000 Cables Seized
>
> written by: Jerry Del Colliano
> date: September 13, 2004
>

> Police raided the offices and warehouse of Ashland, Oregon-based high-end
> audio cable company Tara Labs last week, according to news sources. The raid
> is reportedly due to the company falsely claiming to make their cables in
> the United States when they were outsourcing the manufacturing overseas.
>
> Mathew Bond, the founder of Tara Labs, denies knowing of the infraction and
> claims, "These mistakes were rectified and won't happen here again." That
> might not be good enough for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),
> which has been tracking the alleged violations since 2000.
>
> The raids come just days before the CEDIA trade show that highlights the
> best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was not
> in attendance at the show.
>
> Other high-end cable manufacturers spoke out about the scandal, suggesting
> that there may be more cable companies that do worse than repackage cable
> from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great harm to
> the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
> Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along with
> others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of cables
> for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference in
> an AV system, but they are wrong. Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not
> taint the consumers' view on the need for high-performance cables in home
> theater systems.
>
> Source: Mail Tribune
>
> source: http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:11:46 AM

Chelvam <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:
> best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was not
> in attendance at the show.

> from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great harm to
> the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
> Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along with
> others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of cables
> for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference in
> an AV system, but they are wrong.

Can someone be arrested for erecitn a straw man? Because if so, someone
needs to call the cops on this reporter.

> Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not
> taint the consumers' view on the need for high-performance cables in home
> theater systems.

LOL.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

On 14 Sep 2004 23:27:44 GMT, "Chelvam" <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:

>The raids come just days before the CEDIA trade show that highlights the
>best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was not
>in attendance at the show.

One down, a dozen or so to go......................

>Other high-end cable manufacturers spoke out about the scandal, suggesting
>that there may be more cable companies that do worse than repackage cable
>from China.

Such as false claims of improved sound?

>This scandal and any potential conviction could do great harm to
>the high-end cable business.

Excellent!

>AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
>Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along with
>others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of cables
>for mid-to-high-level AV systems.

Yup - not a penny for R&D, but millions for marketing and
'education'............

>Critics say cables make no difference in
>an AV system, but they are wrong. Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not
>taint the consumers' view on the need for high-performance cables in home
>theater systems.

Hopefully, this reporter Jerry del Colliano will also be arrested for
making false declarations!

September 16, 2004 2:53:22 AM

"Steven Sullivan" <ssully@panix.com> wrote in message
> Chelvam <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:
> > best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was
not
> > in attendance at the show.
>
> > from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great
harm to
> > the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
> > Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along
with
> > others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of
cables
> > for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference
in
> > an AV system, but they are wrong.
>
> Can someone be arrested for erecitn a straw man? Because if so, someone
> needs to call the cops on this reporter.
>
> > Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not
> > taint the consumers' view on the need for high-performance cables in
home
> > theater systems.
>
> LOL.

Is this guy reporting about Tara labs misfortune or is he trying to assert
the need for high end cable?
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:00:30 AM

Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote in message news:<ci8bti01ars@news3.newsguy.com>...
<cut>
> Can someone be arrested for erecitn a straw man? Because if so, someone
> needs to call the cops on this reporter.
<cut remainder>

I don't think the "reporter" is a reporter.

Here's the original article:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2004/0903/biz/storie...

As you can see, it doesn't include any editorial on cables.

The article linked and quoted in the original post appear on the
http://audiorevolution.com/ site. If you look up the information on
the site registration (I use http://www.samspade.org/t), you'll find
that the author of the article in the original post is also the owner
of the http://audiorevolution.com/ site, which appears to include
advertising from manufacturers
(http://www.audiorevolution.com/home/sponsor/index.html), some of whom
appear to be cable manufacturers (or perhaps cable "relabelers").
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 6:49:55 AM

B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<ci83580177r@news2.newsguy.com>...
> This has very little to do with so-called "snake oil" and more about truth
> in labeling. "Made in USA" as a label has to have a certain amount of US
> content (90% or 75% I don't recall which).

Yes, it was a case of product misdescription. But still, when I read
some of the claims made by the manufacturers, such as custom made,
some weird technology process to justify the price, I think they are
worse than snake oil peddlers.

I am waiting for another top High End cable to be nabbed. This
particular cable is being made in China. The same cable (Made in
China), with a different colour and brand being sold for a mere $50.
And the USA High End brand at least 10 times that. No, that is not
wrong. But manipulating facts to give an impression what's not there
is wrong.

Some points to take notice of when buying any product:-

Made in US is not the same as US Designed or US patented (applicable
for any countries). The more difficult for you to find the place of
manufacturer the more likely they were made elsewhere. Very often, you
see the name of product and below that the country's name - Definitely
manufactured elsewhere. Such distinction, becoming blurred nowadays.
Very often, they deliberately leave out Made in ----- and market both
products together making it difficult to figure out which is from US
or from other countries.

Please take note, the example given above applicable to other products
such as sunglasses, jeans and car audio. The cable mentioned above was
not based on "official" source but the facts can be verified.

Happy shopping. I believe we can see some huge discount on some cables
and maybe some Amplifiers and Loudspeakers.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:06:12 AM

Chelvam <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:
> "Steven Sullivan" <ssully@panix.com> wrote in message
> > Chelvam <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:
> > > best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was
> > > from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great
> harm to
> > > the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
> > > Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along
> with
> > > others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of
> cables
> > > for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference
> in
> > > an AV system, but they are wrong.
> >
> > Can someone be arrested for erecitn a straw man? Because if so, someone
> > needs to call the cops on this reporter.
> >
> > > Hopefully, the Tara Labs scandal will not
> > > taint the consumers' view on the need for high-performance cables in
> home
> > > theater systems.
> >
> > LOL.
> >
> Is this guy reporting about Tara labs misfortune or is he trying to assert
> the need for high end cable?

Both, obviously.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:06:43 AM

Buster Mudd <mr_furious@mail.com> wrote:
> Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote in message news:<ci8bti01ars@news3.newsguy.com>...
> > Chelvam <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote:
> > > best in audio/video targeting the custom installer market. Tara Labs was not
> > > in attendance at the show.
> >
> > > from China. This scandal and any potential conviction could do great harm to
> > > the high-end cable business. AV industry icons like Noel Lee, founder of
> > > Monster Cable, and Karen Sumner, president of Transparent cable, along with
> > > others, have spent millions marketing and teaching the importance of cables
> > > for mid-to-high-level AV systems. Critics say cables make no difference in
> > > an AV system, but they are wrong.
> >
> > Can someone be arrested for erecitn a straw man? Because if so, someone
> > needs to call the cops on this reporter.
> >

> Aren't you being a bit *too* sensetive to the issue, Steve? Cables do
> make a difference:

Of course cables *can* make a difference...and NO ONE I have ever seen,
even at the furthest end of the objectivist side of the spectrum, has said
otherwise. *That's* why writing 'critics say cables make no
difference', with no qualification, is a straw man, Buster.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 7:10:54 AM

Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message

> >Other high-end cable manufacturers spoke out about the scandal, suggesting
> >that there may be more cable companies that do worse than repackage cable
> >from China.
>
> Such as false claims of improved sound?

There are dozens and dozens of different speaker cables out there.
Some of them "look" quite complicated or "exotic" with transformer
like boxes, etc.
Are some of them *designed* to change the sound when compared to a
simple cable, whereas you may be able to pick one out in a dbt (I
realize this topic, per say, is off limits)?

Also, could some cables be *harmful* to speakers or amplifiers? I
remember hearing some years back that some exotic speaker cables could
cause havoc in a system. Is this an issue in cables available today?

Robert C. Lang
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:02:53 AM

On 17 Sep 2004 03:10:54 GMT, langvid@pacbell.net (Robert C. Lang)
wrote:

>Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> >Other high-end cable manufacturers spoke out about the scandal, suggesting
>> >that there may be more cable companies that do worse than repackage cable
>> >from China.
>>
>> Such as false claims of improved sound?
>
>There are dozens and dozens of different speaker cables out there.
>Some of them "look" quite complicated or "exotic" with transformer
>like boxes, etc.
>Are some of them *designed* to change the sound when compared to a
>simple cable, whereas you may be able to pick one out in a dbt (I
>realize this topic, per say, is off limits)?

Some of them certainly roll off the treble. It's interesting that
you'll pay $50,000 or more for a pair of ultra high end speakers with
Beryllium or ceramic tweeters which extend the response past 30kHz,
and then your friendly dealer will charge you several thousands more
to have that treble rolled off by MIT, Transparent, Tara etc. :-)

>Also, could some cables be *harmful* to speakers or amplifiers? I
>remember hearing some years back that some exotic speaker cables could
>cause havoc in a system. Is this an issue in cables available today?

Cables such as Alpha-Core 'Goertz' MI still exhibit the extremely high
capacitance which caused many old Naim power amps to let the magic
blue smoke out of the transistors, but the difference is that modern
amps are not prone to the poor stability which allows these cables to
be a problem. Naim are still best avoided, as they insist that the
customer supply a blocking inductor in the form of Naim's own
treble-droopy cable.

p.s. If you *like* the droopy sound of those 'exotic' cables with
little boxes attached, Naim NACA 5 will give you identical sound for a
lot less money and no connecting hassle! Basic engineering, as opposed