What is wrong with the memory stick I bought?

Rataxes

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
Hello. I thought I needed a memory upgrade to play Star Wars:KOTOR on my PC, so I bought a single 512Mb PC2700 DDR 333Mhz stick to complement my old 256 Mbit PC2700 DDR 333Mhz stick.

When I inserted the stick for the first time, my computer didn't acknowledge it's existance, and ran just as it did before. So I removed the old 256Mb stick and placed the 512Mb stick in the first DIMM slot. When I turned the power on, the computer started, but nothing more happened after that. I didn't get to the start-up screen, and the computer kept making these uncomfortable long beeping sounds. The front power on/off button didn't even respond, had to pull the plug to silence it.

Now I'm sure it wasn't a case of inserting it incorrectly, because I got a hang of it when I switched back and forth between my old and new memory stick a lot, and the old one always worked like normal. Also pretty sure I didn't kill it with an ESD, since I'm always mighty careful to remove any static electricity before I touch anything in the computer, and I reckon the old stick would've been killed as well when I switched back and forth, if that had been the case.

So is my memory stick corrupt, or could it have anything to do with my BIOS settings? (haven't touched the memory settings AFAIK) Could it be that the stick simply isn't compatible with my motherboard (salesman said there wouldn't be any problems). I'm going to return it tomorrow, hoping that it was just a single corrupt stick that I happened to get.

I have an Epox motherboard, EP-8K3A

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There isn't really a compatability issue with these types of modules, it's simply that junk works on some computers and not other arbitrarily. I think you bought junk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Those long beeps don't mean that the stick is faulty but that the computer sees no memory at all (which might meen that the stick is faulty or other things).

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.