Multi-boot help please

Hello all,
Gigabyte RZ series mobo, 512MB memory.
New 200Gig SATA drive.
I have Drive Image and PM8.
Will partition the drive into 8-10 partitions.
I wish to install the following:
Dos 6.22 - first primary partition
W2000 - second primary partition
WXP - third primary partitio - for normal use
then extended logical partions for
WXP - extended logical partition - for video and music.
the other partitions for music files, install CDs, images
Maybe a Linux distro at some future date.
Could someone help me with the installation process please.
I've done dual boot W98 with W2000/XP in the past using MS boot loader
but don't want to use it this time.
Would prefer a 3rd party boot loader ala XOSL.
I've read all I can about loading multiple OSes, but the Goodsells and
Reuel's instructions just confuse me no end.
When they start talking about changing values in Boot Sectors etc, my
eyes glaze and a cold sweat breaks out.
I do want to keep all OS partitions as C: and all other partition
letters the same for all the different OSes.
All data and page/swap files will be on a separate HDD
If someone could walk me through the process, I would be most
grateful.
Regards

Geoff Halstead - Trustee
========================
Charity for African Education, Diss, Norfolk, England
Helping improve education in Africa
www.AfricanEducation.org - Tel: 07904 351143
No donation too small

I have done this where other OSs r clones of XP & know
it works 4 other posters with clones. Can not be sure
my proceedure wont have glitches since u have different
OSs. If we could get 2 on, it should be easy to get n
on.

Basically I would install OS on 1st primary, hide it,
move it so 10GB r empty at front of disc & install 2nd
OS tthere. Repat n-1 times then use PQboot of PMagic to
boot the OS u wanna run which will be assigned C & all
others will be hidden.

U still have to choose correct OS when the chosen 1
boots but we can change the boot.ini file so it will
default to the 1 u wanna run.

If u r game, I'll post my email addy & we can do it
step by step.

HTH-Larry

|========================
|Charity for African Education, Diss, Norfolk, England
|Helping improve education in Africa
|www.AfricanEducation.org - Tel: 07904 351143
|No donation too small

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:24:40 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>If u r game, I'll post my email addy & we can do it
>step by step.
Thanks Larry.
I'm up for it.
Er how do we do step by step while installing? :)
I wont be connected.
GeoffH

"Geoff Halstead" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> Gigabyte RZ series mobo, 512MB memory.
> New 200Gig SATA drive.
> I have Drive Image and PM8.
> Will partition the drive into 8-10 partitions.
> I wish to install the following:
> Dos 6.22 - first primary partition
> W2000 - second primary partition
> WXP - third primary partitio - for normal use
> then extended logical partions for
> WXP - extended logical partition - for video and music.
> the other partitions for music files, install CDs, images
> Maybe a Linux distro at some future date.
> Could someone help me with the installation process please.
> I've done dual boot W98 with W2000/XP in the past using MS boot loader
> but don't want to use it this time.
> Would prefer a 3rd party boot loader ala XOSL.
> I've read all I can about loading multiple OSes, but the Goodsells and
> Reuel's instructions just confuse me no end.
> When they start talking about changing values in Boot Sectors etc, my
> eyes glaze and a cold sweat breaks out.
> I do want to keep all OS partitions as C: and all other partition
> letters the same for all the different OSes.
> All data and page/swap files will be on a separate HDD
> If someone could walk me through the process, I would be most
> grateful.
> Regards
>
> Geoff Halstead - Trustee
> ========================
> Charity for African Education, Diss, Norfolk, England
> Helping improve education in Africa
> www.AfricanEducation.org - Tel: 07904 351143
> No donation too small

XOSL can do all of the above, and it's free. Are you
prepared to invest the time and effort to find out how
to use it? (Most multi-boot posters give up when they
realize that there is no out-ov-the-box tool that will do
it for them).

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Geoff Halstead" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> > Gigabyte RZ series mobo, 512MB memory.
> > New 200Gig SATA drive.
> > I have Drive Image and PM8.
> > Will partition the drive into 8-10 partitions.
> > I wish to install the following:
> > Dos 6.22 - first primary partition
> > W2000 - second primary partition
> > WXP - third primary partitio - for normal use
> > then extended logical partions for
> > WXP - extended logical partition - for video and music.
> > the other partitions for music files, install CDs, images
> > Maybe a Linux distro at some future date.
> > Could someone help me with the installation process please.
> > I've done dual boot W98 with W2000/XP in the past using MS boot loader
> > but don't want to use it this time.
> > Would prefer a 3rd party boot loader ala XOSL.
> > I've read all I can about loading multiple OSes, but the Goodsells and
> > Reuel's instructions just confuse me no end.
> > When they start talking about changing values in Boot Sectors etc, my
> > eyes glaze and a cold sweat breaks out.
> > I do want to keep all OS partitions as C: and all other partition
> > letters the same for all the different OSes.
> > All data and page/swap files will be on a separate HDD
> > If someone could walk me through the process, I would be most
> > grateful.
> > Regards
> >
> > Geoff Halstead - Trustee
> > ========================
> > Charity for African Education, Diss, Norfolk, England
> > Helping improve education in Africa
> > www.AfricanEducation.org - Tel: 07904 351143
> > No donation too small
>
> XOSL can do all of the above, and it's free. Are you
> prepared to invest the time and effort to find out how
> to use it? (Most multi-boot posters give up when they
> realize that there is no out-ov-the-box tool that will do
> it for them).

True, no boot manager makes it a simple click, click, click type wizard.
Here's the closest I've found, but not free or cheap....
http://www.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html

As long as the SATA drive is available at boot time, no problem. Software
RAID drives cannot use this. Hardware RAID is okay. But, I believe similar
is a requrement for most any other boot manager.

Geoff

I seem to remember System Commander being around before Quarterdeck was
displaced by Windows: it is the same thing updated?

BTW Lil'Dave might find Microsoft's Virtual PC (originally released for Mac
but available now
for IBM PC's) a good solution as it allows any operating system to be loaded
alongside WindowsXP. But he would need more than 512MB RAM
--
Uncle John
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Geoff Halstead" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> > Hello all,
>> > Gigabyte RZ series mobo, 512MB memory.
>> > New 200Gig SATA drive.
>> > I have Drive Image and PM8.
>> > Will partition the drive into 8-10 partitions.
>> > I wish to install the following:
>> > Dos 6.22 - first primary partition
>> > W2000 - second primary partition
>> > WXP - third primary partitio - for normal use
>> > then extended logical partions for
>> > WXP - extended logical partition - for video and music.
>> > the other partitions for music files, install CDs, images
>> > Maybe a Linux distro at some future date.
>> > Could someone help me with the installation process please.
>> > I've done dual boot W98 with W2000/XP in the past using MS boot loader
>> > but don't want to use it this time.
>> > Would prefer a 3rd party boot loader ala XOSL.
>> > I've read all I can about loading multiple OSes, but the Goodsells and
>> > Reuel's instructions just confuse me no end.
>> > When they start talking about changing values in Boot Sectors etc, my
>> > eyes glaze and a cold sweat breaks out.
>> > I do want to keep all OS partitions as C: and all other partition
>> > letters the same for all the different OSes.
>> > All data and page/swap files will be on a separate HDD
>> > If someone could walk me through the process, I would be most
>> > grateful.
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Geoff Halstead - Trustee
>> > ========================
>> > Charity for African Education, Diss, Norfolk, England
>> > Helping improve education in Africa
>> > www.AfricanEducation.org - Tel: 07904 351143
>> > No donation too small
>>
>> XOSL can do all of the above, and it's free. Are you
>> prepared to invest the time and effort to find out how
>> to use it? (Most multi-boot posters give up when they
>> realize that there is no out-ov-the-box tool that will do
>> it for them).
>>

> True, no boot manager makes it a simple click, click, click type wizard.
> Here's the closest I've found, but not free or cheap....
> http://www.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html
>
> As long as the SATA drive is available at boot time, no problem. Software
> RAID drives cannot use this. Hardware RAID is okay. But, I believe
> similar
> is a requrement for most any other boot manager.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:53:43 +0100, Geoff Halstead
<nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

|On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:24:40 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM>
|wrote:
|
|>If u r game, I'll post my email addy & we can do it
|>step by step.
|Thanks Larry.
|I'm up for it.
|Er how do we do step by step while installing? :)
|I wont be connected.
|GeoffH
That will only be true while installing 1st OS.
PM, DI, & PQboot can all run in DOS so even if an OS
wont boot, u can always load DOS & hide/deactivate
partitions & switch the OS to one that does load.

So I would urge u to make floppies for DOS version of
PM +DI & run them several times to ensure familiarity &
that 'gotchas' like menu navigation r taken care of
a-priori. My mouse never worked in DI in DOS so I had
to learn tab, arrow, and space key navigation. Learn &
run PQboot in DOS too. PQboot is at C:\Program
Files\PartitionMagic 7.0\UTILITY on my PC. All docs 4
PQboot in pdf 4 PM- let me know if u dont have 1.

U have an OS already on HD where u want all OSs?

HTH-Larry

<nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

|I'm up for it.
PQboot is so easy to use that this is the entire doc on
it: Changing Bootable Partitions with PQBoot

PQBoot is a quick and easy way to switch between
bootable primary partitions. PQBoot is
for users who only occasionally change the active
partition and do not want to use
BootMagic. For more information about BootMagic, see
“Using BootMagic” on page 97.
1 (Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT workstation, or Windows
2000/XP Professional)
Click Start . Programs . PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0
.. PQBoot. Under
Windows 95/98/Me, PQBoot32 will only run if PQVXD.VXD
is in the same
directory as PQBOOT32.EXE.
(DOS) Go to a DOS prompt. Change to the directory
containing PQBOOT.EXE or
PQBOOTX.EXE, type PQBOOT or PQBOOTX, then press
<Enter>.
Use PQBOOT if you want a small, fast executable that
will fit on a floppy disk that
has limited free space. Be aware, however, that PQBOOT
may not display volume
labels correctly for FAT or FAT32 partitions and volume
labels for NTFS partitions
will not display at all.
Use PQBOOTX if the executable file size and speed are
not critical. PQBOOTX will
display all volume labels in FAT, FAT32, and NTFS
partitions.
2 If you are using Windows, a message appears
indicating that PQBoot runs in
MS-DOS mode and that all other programs will close if
you continue. To continue,
click Yes.
PQBoot displays a list of all primary partitions.
3 Type the ID number of the partition (shown in the
first column) you want to make the
bootable primary partition.
Check the Status column to see if a partition is
bootable.
4 Press <Enter>.
PQBoot makes the partition active and reboots the
comput

Attaced is pic of my 2 HDs in PM

<nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

|I'm up for it.
PQboot is so easy to use that this is the entire doc on
it: Changing Bootable Partitions with PQBoot

PQBoot is a quick and easy way to switch between
bootable primary partitions. PQBoot is
for users who only occasionally change the active
partition and do not want to use
BootMagic. For more information about BootMagic, see
“Using BootMagic” on page 97.
1 (Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT workstation, or Windows
2000/XP Professional)
Click Start . Programs . PowerQuest PartitionMagic 7.0
.. PQBoot. Under
Windows 95/98/Me, PQBoot32 will only run if PQVXD.VXD
is in the same
directory as PQBOOT32.EXE.
(DOS) Go to a DOS prompt. Change to the directory
containing PQBOOT.EXE or
PQBOOTX.EXE, type PQBOOT or PQBOOTX, then press
<Enter>.
Use PQBOOT if you want a small, fast executable that
will fit on a floppy disk that
has limited free space. Be aware, however, that PQBOOT
may not display volume
labels correctly for FAT or FAT32 partitions and volume
labels for NTFS partitions
will not display at all.
Use PQBOOTX if the executable file size and speed are
not critical. PQBOOTX will
display all volume labels in FAT, FAT32, and NTFS
partitions.
2 If you are using Windows, a message appears
indicating that PQBoot runs in
MS-DOS mode and that all other programs will close if
you continue. To continue,
click Yes.
PQBoot displays a list of all primary partitions.
3 Type the ID number of the partition (shown in the
first column) you want to make the
bootable primary partition.
Check the Status column to see if a partition is
bootable.
4 Press <Enter>.
PQBoot makes the partition active and reboots the
comput

Attaced is pic of my 2 HDs in PM
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Here' text that should have been with pic:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:08:03 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
wrote:

>XOSL can do all of the above, and it's free.
Just what I'm looking for.

>Are you prepared to invest the time and effort to find out how
>to use it?
Yes

>(Most multi-boot posters give up when they
>realize that there is no out-ov-the-box tool that will do
>it for them).
I need to get it right first time, so no problem there.
Geoff

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:50:42 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>That will only be true while installing 1st OS.
>PM, DI, & PQboot can all run in DOS so even if an OS
>wont boot, u can always load DOS & hide/deactivate
>partitions & switch the OS to one that does load.
OK, but have never tried this before.

>So I would urge u to make floppies for DOS version of
>PM +DI & run them several times to ensure familiarity &
>that 'gotchas' like menu navigation r taken care of
>a-priori.
That's the first thing I did with them.
Have used them quite a few times already, so am familiar with them.

>My mouse never worked in DI in DOS so I had
>to learn tab, arrow, and space key navigation.
My mouse the same, but memories of using DOS 5 helped.

>Learn & run PQboot in DOS too. PQboot is at C:\Program
>Files\PartitionMagic 7.0\UTILITY on my PC. All docs 4
>PQboot in pdf 4 PM- let me know if u dont have 1.
Have PM8 with the following:
Docs folder:
pm8.pdf
pm8quick.pdf
(will print these two and study them)
Utility folder:
partinfo.exe
wrprog.exe
pqbootx.exe
pqboot.exe
ptedit.exe

>U have an OS already on HD where u want all OSs?
The SATA drive is clean.
Present W98SE is on 80Gig drive that I will use for data etc once
formatted
>Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
As long as I know it works.
Just had to download all messaged again as I lost all my Agent files.
W98 must be reaching critical unstable state, so just in time with xp
I think.
Thanks Larry.
Will post again as soon as I've read and practiced on the dos
programs.

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:08:03 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
> wrote:
>

> >XOSL can do all of the above, and it's free.
> Just what I'm looking for.
>
> >Are you prepared to invest the time and effort to find out how
> >to use it?
> Yes
>
> >(Most multi-boot posters give up when they
> >realize that there is no out-ov-the-box tool that will do
> >it for them).
> I need to get it right first time, so no problem there.
> Geoff

Post again if you need detailed instructions.

Hi Geoff

R u going to use XOSL or my approach?

Run PM & email me screenshot (if u cant cnvert it to a
gif/jpg, paste it in wordpad & send rtf file) like 1 I
posted to REMOVEnxos_newsq@ljl269.mailshell.com where
u remove 'REMOVE'.

Other comments r below:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:10:19 +0100, Geoff Halstead
<nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

|On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:50:42 GMT, "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM>
|wrote:
|
|>That will only be true while installing 1st OS.
|>PM, DI, & PQboot can all run in DOS so even if an OS
|>wont boot, u can always load DOS & hide/deactivate
|>partitions & switch the OS to one that does load.
|OK, but have never tried this before.
|
|>So I would urge u to make floppies for DOS version of
|>PM +DI & run them several times to ensure familiarity &
|>that 'gotchas' like menu navigation r taken care of
|>a-priori.
|That's the first thing I did with them.
|Have used them quite a few times already, so am familiar with them.
|
|>My mouse never worked in DI in DOS so I had
|>to learn tab, arrow, and space key navigation.
|My mouse the same, but memories of using DOS 5 helped.
|
|>Learn & run PQboot in DOS too. PQboot is at C:\Program
|>Files\PartitionMagic 7.0\UTILITY on my PC. All docs 4
|>PQboot in pdf 4 PM- let me know if u dont have 1.
|Have PM8 with the following:
|Docs folder:
|pm8.pdf
|pm8quick.pdf
|(will print these two and study them)
|Utility folder:
|partinfo.exe
|wrprog.exe
|pqbootx.exe
|pqboot.exe
|ptedit.exe
pqboot & pqbootx in Utility folder r DOS apps. U
got a floppy wth DOS? Can u make 1? Usually 1st floppy
of DI & PM 4 DOS loads DOS. Copy floppy, reboot with
floppy in & see if DOS loads. If it does, navigate to
Utility folder & run pqboot &/or pqbootx.

|>U have an OS already on HD where u want all OSs?
|The SATA drive is clean.
|Present W98SE is on 80Gig drive that I will use for data etc once
|formatted
U want this as is on SATA drive? See if u can
diagram/list what u want all drives to have at the
end.Like listing in screenshots I posted.Include
partition sizes.

|>Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
|As long as I know it works.
|Just had to download all messaged again as I lost all my Agent files.
|W98 must be reaching critical unstable state, so just in time with xp
|I think.
|Thanks Larry.
|Will post again as soon as I've read and practiced on the dos
|programs.
|GeoffH

HTH-Larry