Want to reinstall Windows 7 on HP without the original disc

insomniac3334

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello! I am fixing a friend's computer, an HP desktop E5550/4GB/1TBHDD with W7 Home Premium x64. It is pretty much overrun by rootkits, trojans and all manner of fun. Anyways, I have decided to wipe it clean. The problem is this: She lost the CDs that came with the computer. My current plan is to use a CD key-finding program, get the CD key, and use it in conjunction with a legally purchased Windows 7 Home Premium OEM DVD bought off of Newegg.com. Will this work?

thanks!

Solution
Yes, you can reinstall that key on that computer system. As long as the version being installed is the same as the one the key is for. Just enter the key on the sticker when asked for by the installation.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If you have an OEM version that has never been used before, you can install it without any other keys. Since the system is running but infected, copy any clean data you want to keep and then format the disk. After that install using the OEM disk.

insomniac3334

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Yes, but can I use the physical OEM DVD from Newegg in conjunction with her OEM key on the side of her computer? I just want to make sure it will work. The OEM DVD is MY copy used on my desktop, but I will use HER key instead of mine.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Yes, you can reinstall that key on that computer system. As long as the version being installed is the same as the one the key is for. Just enter the key on the sticker when asked for by the installation.

Solution