Upgrade to wondows xp pro

June 8, 2005 7:35:42 PM

Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would like to
install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer has
been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be tedious and
expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows full...)

More about : upgrade wondows pro

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:35:43 PM

All you need to do is to purchase a "Full Version" of
Windows XP Professional and proceed with a "Repair Install".

Visit this excellent web site for step-by-step instructions for
repairing Windows XP:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

"Mark Haeger" wrote:

| Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would like to
| install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer has
| been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be tedious and
| expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows full...)
June 8, 2005 7:35:43 PM

first you must purchase a retail or oem edition.
BTW you need to purchase for the key. Not sure
if you should or could call MS to purchase a key.

Then you can change the cd key, that someone else
will have to help you with. That's about it.

"Mark Haeger" <fairfaxhouse1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would like
> install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer has
> been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be tedious
> and
> expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows
> full...)

June 8, 2005 7:35:44 PM

BigJim wrote:

> first you must purchase a retail or oem edition.
> BTW you need to purchase for the key. Not sure
> if you should or could call MS to purchase a key.
>
> Then you can change the cd key, that someone else
> will have to help you with. That's about it.
>

> "Mark Haeger" <fairfaxhouse1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would
>> like to
>> install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer
>> has been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be
>> tedious and
>> expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows
>> full...)

I don't believe an OEM version will work in this case. You will need a
retail XP Pro. Here is a link to a very detailed webpage explaining
about how to do this. But please back up your data first. There is
always the chance that the install will go sour - I've had success just
doing a Repair Install for a client with the same situation as you, but
I've also had the opposite experience where there was just too much
non-standard stuff on the box and it had to be a Clean Install. So back
up first.

Scroll down and read about the Inplace Upgrade Option, too.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com