Upgrade to wondows xp pro

Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would like to
install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer has
been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be tedious and
expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows full...)
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade wondows

    All you need to do is to purchase a "Full Version" of
    Windows XP Professional and proceed with a "Repair Install".

    Visit this excellent web site for step-by-step instructions for
    repairing Windows XP:

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    "Mark Haeger" wrote:

    | Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would like to
    | install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer has
    | been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be tedious and
    | expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows full...)

    first you must purchase a retail or oem edition.
    BTW you need to purchase for the key. Not sure
    if you should or could call MS to purchase a key.

    Then you can change the cd key, that someone else
    will have to help you with. That's about it.

    BigJim wrote:

    > first you must purchase a retail or oem edition.
    > BTW you need to purchase for the key. Not sure
    > if you should or could call MS to purchase a key.
    >
    > Then you can change the cd key, that someone else
    > will have to help you with. That's about it.
    >

    > "Mark Haeger" <fairfaxhouse1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Apparently I have been using an illegal copy of xp pro corp. I would
    >> like to
    >> install a new xp pro. What is the safest, easiest way? This computer
    >> has been in service for a couple years so a complete backup would be
    >> tedious and
    >> expensive. What program do I purchase (ie. windows upgrade, windows
    >> full...)

    I don't believe an OEM version will work in this case. You will need a
    retail XP Pro. Here is a link to a very detailed webpage explaining
    about how to do this. But please back up your data first. There is
    always the chance that the install will go sour - I've had success just
    doing a Repair Install for a client with the same situation as you, but
    I've also had the opposite experience where there was just too much
    non-standard stuff on the box and it had to be a Clean Install. So back
    up first.

    Scroll down and read about the Inplace Upgrade Option, too.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com