frederick930

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
So i got this pc with the following specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Intel core I3-2100 CPU @3.10Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 6450
2gb ram

And i just added 2 additional ram to the computer, the guy at the shop recommends me to upgrade to 64-bit.
I don't know much about PC and os, he said it can increase the performance or something, i do have the 64-bit
ultimate disk. i asked my friend, he said to check if my pc is compatible with 64-bit OS. And i just lost it from here, i don't even know what kind of pc is compatible with 64-bit.

So, should i make it 64-bit? and is my pc compatible with it?

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
As the other posters have suggested, a 64-bit OS will help you use all of the RAM in your PC. Be warned however, old 16-bit applications will not work and you will need a 64-bit version of all your PCs, peripheral device and printer drivers. Check these are available before you take the plunge.

rdc85

Honorable
Well most of 32 bit program will works fine in 64 bit OS, 64 bit in hardware has been supported couples of years now.

So I don't see why you shouldn't execpt u still running very old program that requied 32 bit OS...

btw 64 bit is better from my experience...

rhex

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
64bit operating system is necessary if you surpass the limit of 2gig of ram.
64 bit OS will enhance the performance of your computer or else your computer may suffer hang up when playing any games online or offline. thanks hope this message may help you.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
With 4GB the advantages are a little more borderline. I'd go through your hardware and important software to see if there are any 64bit issues. I'll be keeping a small partition for a 32bit XP so I can still use my firewire audio i/f and my scanner.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I recently got a 64 bit system. Was thinking about upgrading my 08' PC to 64 bit architecture but since i have XP on it as i'd prefer to keep the system the way it is. The main difference will be more RAM like other users have said but i also noticed increased stability and it's much more smoother then 32 bit. Your processor does handle 64 bit so i would make the switch to utilize your hardware but you will need to do a clean installation.

frederick930

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies, looks like i'm gonna buy it though.
I already set up the new drivers in my flash disk, but one more question though...
Do my files gets deleted if i upgrade to 64-bit?

Yes -- moving from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a complete wipe\reinstall so you will need to reinstall any programs and should backup any files that you want to keep since they will be lost during the reformatting of the HDD.

Personally I wouldn't bother as keeping the 32 bit OS allows you to still use older games that have 16 bit installers which do not work in a 64 bit OS and at 4gb. of RAM the system performance difference between 32 bit and 64 bit will not be noticeable and actually the 32 bit OS may perform better -- until you upgrade to 6-8GB. or more there is really no compelling reason to switch to 64 bit.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
frederick930, what's the model/brand of your motherboard? If your RAM is capped out at 4GB you might as well just keep the OS as is. What do you mainly use your PC for? If your playing older 16 bit games or certain software that won't work on 64 bit software it might not be suitable to upgrade, especially if your motherboard caps out at 4GB RAM.