Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Corrupt/Unreadable files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:21:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file and need to know
how to delete it from my computer. I can not send it to the Recycle Bin. I
get an error message saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have
tried everything that I know. I need some help please.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:31:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

i like to see an answer to this, ive got a couple myself , that i cant delete

"JOEBAR" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file and need to know
> how to delete it from my computer. I can not send it to the Recycle Bin. I
> get an error message saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have
> tried everything that I know. I need some help please.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:52:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JOEBAR wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file
> and need to know how to delete it from my computer. I can
> not send it to the Recycle Bin. I get an error message
> saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have tried
> everything that I know. I need some help please.

You can try deleting it from a command prompt window or use
this procedure:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
delete the file.

Good luck

Nepatsfan
Related resources
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

i have xp-pro, when i do start/programs/accessories, there is no command deal
in there anywhere

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> JOEBAR wrote:
> > I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file
> > and need to know how to delete it from my computer. I can
> > not send it to the Recycle Bin. I get an error message
> > saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have tried
> > everything that I know. I need some help please.
>
> You can try deleting it from a command prompt window or use
> this procedure:
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
>
> Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
> delete the file.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:38:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Start -> Run and type cmd.exe in the Open box.
Click OK.

If that doesn't work, try the procedure outlined on the linked
article I provided earlier.

Nepatsfan

matchstich wrote:
> i have xp-pro, when i do start/programs/accessories, there
> is no command deal in there anywhere
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> JOEBAR wrote:
>>> I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt
>>> file and need to know how to delete it from my computer. I
>>> can not send it to the Recycle Bin. I get an error message
>>> saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have
>>> tried everything that I know. I need some help please.
>>
>> You can try deleting it from a command prompt window or use
>> this procedure:
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
>>
>> Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
>> delete the file.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The information provided for the question I ask earlier did not help me. The
problem is actually a folder in the MY DOCUMENTS that I can not delete. Also
I have tried to start my computer in SAFE MODE but it won't start in that
mode for some reason. I would like to be able to delete the folder so I don't
have to compelety re-install Windows.

"JOEBAR" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file and need to know
> how to delete it from my computer. I can not send it to the Recycle Bin. I
> get an error message saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have
> tried everything that I know. I need some help please.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:39:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES wrote:
> The information provided for the question I ask earlier did
> not help me. The problem is actually a folder in the MY
> DOCUMENTS that I can not delete. Also I have tried to start
> my computer in SAFE MODE but it won't start in that mode for
> some reason. I would like to be able to delete the folder so
> I don't have to compelety re-install Windows.

And the name of the mystery folder is?

Post back with a little more information. Something like this:
I'm trying to delete the following folder, C:\Documents and
Settings\YOURUSERNAME\My Documents\FOLDERNAME.
Right click on the folder, select Properties and note the name
of the folder as well as the location.

What happens when you try to start in Safe Mode? When you hit
the F8 key, does a menu appear with a number of startup
options? What happens when you select Safe Mode from the menu?

Did you try the procedure outlined on the web site? Did you try
using the command prompt to remove this folder?
Go to Start -> Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
Enter the following:
RD C:\"Documents and Settings"\YOURUSERNAME\"My
Documents"\FOLDERNAME

Note: You want to replace YOURUSERNAME and FOLDERNAME with the
correct information. You also need to include the quotes (") in
any portion of the command that contains spaces.

Nepatsfan
June 9, 2005 5:48:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

1) run check disk to see if it can "uncorrupt" the file in question.

my computer | drive | right-click properties | tools tab | check now
button

if it says it needs to schedule the check on next boot click ok and
reboot, let it run (blueish screen says check disk is running....)

2) then try the delete again.

------

Command Prompt should be on your start menu, under Accessories. If not it
is simply a shortcut to:

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 8:25:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

None of the advice given sofar will work. I can't start in Safe Mode, chkdsk
or any of the things mentioned. I guess I will just format the hard drive and
re-install Windows XP.

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> 1) run check disk to see if it can "uncorrupt" the file in question.
>
> my computer | drive | right-click properties | tools tab | check now
> button
>
> if it says it needs to schedule the check on next boot click ok and
> reboot, let it run (blueish screen says check disk is running....)
>
> 2) then try the delete again.
>
> ------
>
> Command Prompt should be on your start menu, under Accessories. If not it
> is simply a shortcut to:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:15:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I do not need any more advice for my question. I tried everything that was
posted and nothing worked. I called DELL and the couldn't help. They tried to
re-install Windows XP Home Edition with no luck. I finally tried the NEW disk
for my wife's computer and got the repair to run and now my problems are
solved. Dell has ordered a new hard drive but I think I will cancell that.
The only thing I have to say about these forum sites is I have never found
anyone that knew what they were talking about or sent something not related
to the question because most of the people in here can't read and understand
plain english.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES wrote:
> > The information provided for the question I ask earlier did
> > not help me. The problem is actually a folder in the MY
> > DOCUMENTS that I can not delete. Also I have tried to start
> > my computer in SAFE MODE but it won't start in that mode for
> > some reason. I would like to be able to delete the folder so
> > I don't have to compelety re-install Windows.
>
> And the name of the mystery folder is?
>
> Post back with a little more information. Something like this:
> I'm trying to delete the following folder, C:\Documents and
> Settings\YOURUSERNAME\My Documents\FOLDERNAME.
> Right click on the folder, select Properties and note the name
> of the folder as well as the location.
>
> What happens when you try to start in Safe Mode? When you hit
> the F8 key, does a menu appear with a number of startup
> options? What happens when you select Safe Mode from the menu?
>
> Did you try the procedure outlined on the web site? Did you try
> using the command prompt to remove this folder?
> Go to Start -> Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
> Enter the following:
> RD C:\"Documents and Settings"\YOURUSERNAME\"My
> Documents"\FOLDERNAME
>
> Note: You want to replace YOURUSERNAME and FOLDERNAME with the
> correct information. You also need to include the quotes (") in
> any portion of the command that contains spaces.
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:47:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:5EBE3AF1-8244-443C-84EA-AD72F0FA2874@microsoft.com,
RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES
<RECORRUPTUNREADABLEFILES@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:


> The only thing I have to
> say about these forum sites is I have never found anyone that
> knew
> what they were talking about or sent something not related to
> the
> question because most of the people in here can't read and
> understand
> plain english.


If you have any more questions, be sure to post them here. I'm
sure everyone will be delighted to offer you further help.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:04:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES wrote:
> I do not need any more advice for my question. I tried
> everything that was posted and nothing worked. I called DELL
> and the couldn't help. They tried to re-install Windows XP
> Home Edition with no luck. I finally tried the NEW disk for
> my wife's computer and got the repair to run and now my
> problems are solved. Dell has ordered a new hard drive but I
> think I will cancell that. The only thing I have to say
> about these forum sites is I have never found anyone that
> knew what they were talking about or sent something not
> related to the question because most of the people in here
> can't read and understand plain english.
>

I usually ignore this type of response but in your case I'll
make an exception.

Your dissatisfaction with support forums may stem from the fact
that you aren't looking for advice. You're looking for someone
to provide you with a nice neat solution that requires little
or no effort on your part. Sorry to tell you this but many
computer issues don't have simple solutions. There is one
guaranteed solution and you've found it, reinstall Windows.

You may not think you need any more advice on this subject but
I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't pass along this
suggestion; Keep that XP installation CD handy! I think you'll
find yourself needing it quite often.

I asked several questions seeking clarification on why you
weren't able to implement my suggested solutions. Instead of
answering those questions you felt it would be more productive
to just go on a rant about "None of the advice given sofar will
work".

As for people in these forums not knowing what they're talking
about, the solutions I provided have been passed along to quite
a few people who posted questions similar to yours. They've
been able to successfully implement the procedures and delete a
seemingly undeletable file or folder.

You complain that "most of the people in here can't read and
understand plain english". Did you ever consider the
possibility that some people can't follow directions written in
plain English?

By the way, your last sentence is priceless. If you're going to
complain about the reading comprehension of your target
audience, it helps to use clear, cogent and concise statements
when making that point. I can overlook mistakes in spelling or
grammar but if you're going to insult someone's intelligence
you should, at the very least, proofread your own material. The
"sent something not related to the question" part could use a
little editing.

Nepatsfan
!