Corrupt/Unreadable files

I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file and need to know
how to delete it from my computer. I can not send it to the Recycle Bin. I
get an error message saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have
tried everything that I know. I need some help please.
11 answers Last reply
More about corrupt unreadable files

    i like to see an answer to this, ive got a couple myself , that i cant delete

    JOEBAR wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file
    > and need to know how to delete it from my computer. I can
    > not send it to the Recycle Bin. I get an error message
    > saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have tried
    > everything that I know. I need some help please.

    You can try deleting it from a command prompt window or use
    this procedure:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
    delete the file.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    i have xp-pro, when i do start/programs/accessories, there is no command deal
    in there anywhere

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > JOEBAR wrote:
    > > I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt file
    > > and need to know how to delete it from my computer. I can
    > > not send it to the Recycle Bin. I get an error message
    > > saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have tried
    > > everything that I know. I need some help please.
    >
    > You can try deleting it from a command prompt window or use
    > this procedure:
    >
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
    >
    > Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
    > delete the file.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Start -> Run and type cmd.exe in the Open box.
    Click OK.

    If that doesn't work, try the procedure outlined on the linked
    article I provided earlier.

    Nepatsfan

    matchstich wrote:
    > i have xp-pro, when i do start/programs/accessories, there
    > is no command deal in there anywhere
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> JOEBAR wrote:
    >>> I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have a corrupt
    >>> file and need to know how to delete it from my computer. I
    >>> can not send it to the Recycle Bin. I get an error message
    >>> saying that the file is corrupt and unreadable. I have
    >>> tried everything that I know. I need some help please.
    >>
    >> You can try deleting it from a command prompt window or use
    >> this procedure:
    >>
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
    >>
    >> Also, you can try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can
    >> delete the file.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan

    The information provided for the question I ask earlier did not help me. The
    problem is actually a folder in the MY DOCUMENTS that I can not delete. Also
    I have tried to start my computer in SAFE MODE but it won't start in that
    mode for some reason. I would like to be able to delete the folder so I don't
    have to compelety re-install Windows.

    RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES wrote:
    > The information provided for the question I ask earlier did
    > not help me. The problem is actually a folder in the MY
    > DOCUMENTS that I can not delete. Also I have tried to start
    > my computer in SAFE MODE but it won't start in that mode for
    > some reason. I would like to be able to delete the folder so
    > I don't have to compelety re-install Windows.

    And the name of the mystery folder is?

    Post back with a little more information. Something like this:
    I'm trying to delete the following folder, C:\Documents and
    Settings\YOURUSERNAME\My Documents\FOLDERNAME.
    Right click on the folder, select Properties and note the name
    of the folder as well as the location.

    What happens when you try to start in Safe Mode? When you hit
    the F8 key, does a menu appear with a number of startup
    options? What happens when you select Safe Mode from the menu?

    Did you try the procedure outlined on the web site? Did you try
    using the command prompt to remove this folder?
    Go to Start -> Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
    Enter the following:
    RD C:\"Documents and Settings"\YOURUSERNAME\"My
    Documents"\FOLDERNAME

    Note: You want to replace YOURUSERNAME and FOLDERNAME with the
    correct information. You also need to include the quotes (") in
    any portion of the command that contains spaces.

    Nepatsfan

    1) run check disk to see if it can "uncorrupt" the file in question.

    my computer | drive | right-click properties | tools tab | check now
    button

    if it says it needs to schedule the check on next boot click ok and
    reboot, let it run (blueish screen says check disk is running....)

    2) then try the delete again.

    ------

    Command Prompt should be on your start menu, under Accessories. If not it
    is simply a shortcut to:

    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

    None of the advice given sofar will work. I can't start in Safe Mode, chkdsk
    or any of the things mentioned. I guess I will just format the hard drive and
    re-install Windows XP.

    "frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

    > 1) run check disk to see if it can "uncorrupt" the file in question.
    >
    > my computer | drive | right-click properties | tools tab | check now
    > button
    >
    > if it says it needs to schedule the check on next boot click ok and
    > reboot, let it run (blueish screen says check disk is running....)
    >
    > 2) then try the delete again.
    >
    > ------
    >
    > Command Prompt should be on your start menu, under Accessories. If not it
    > is simply a shortcut to:
    >
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

    I do not need any more advice for my question. I tried everything that was
    posted and nothing worked. I called DELL and the couldn't help. They tried to
    re-install Windows XP Home Edition with no luck. I finally tried the NEW disk
    for my wife's computer and got the repair to run and now my problems are
    solved. Dell has ordered a new hard drive but I think I will cancell that.
    The only thing I have to say about these forum sites is I have never found
    anyone that knew what they were talking about or sent something not related
    to the question because most of the people in here can't read and understand
    plain english.

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES wrote:
    > > The information provided for the question I ask earlier did
    > > not help me. The problem is actually a folder in the MY
    > > DOCUMENTS that I can not delete. Also I have tried to start
    > > my computer in SAFE MODE but it won't start in that mode for
    > > some reason. I would like to be able to delete the folder so
    > > I don't have to compelety re-install Windows.
    >
    > And the name of the mystery folder is?
    >
    > Post back with a little more information. Something like this:
    > I'm trying to delete the following folder, C:\Documents and
    > Settings\YOURUSERNAME\My Documents\FOLDERNAME.
    > Right click on the folder, select Properties and note the name
    > of the folder as well as the location.
    >
    > What happens when you try to start in Safe Mode? When you hit
    > the F8 key, does a menu appear with a number of startup
    > options? What happens when you select Safe Mode from the menu?
    >
    > Did you try the procedure outlined on the web site? Did you try
    > using the command prompt to remove this folder?
    > Go to Start -> Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
    > Enter the following:
    > RD C:\"Documents and Settings"\YOURUSERNAME\"My
    > Documents"\FOLDERNAME
    >
    > Note: You want to replace YOURUSERNAME and FOLDERNAME with the
    > correct information. You also need to include the quotes (") in
    > any portion of the command that contains spaces.
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    In news:5EBE3AF1-8244-443C-84EA-AD72F0FA2874@microsoft.com,
    RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES
    <RECORRUPTUNREADABLEFILES@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > The only thing I have to
    > say about these forum sites is I have never found anyone that
    > knew
    > what they were talking about or sent something not related to
    > the
    > question because most of the people in here can't read and
    > understand
    > plain english.

    If you have any more questions, be sure to post them here. I'm
    sure everyone will be delighted to offer you further help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    RE: CORRUPT/UNREADABLE FILES wrote:
    > I do not need any more advice for my question. I tried
    > everything that was posted and nothing worked. I called DELL
    > and the couldn't help. They tried to re-install Windows XP
    > Home Edition with no luck. I finally tried the NEW disk for
    > my wife's computer and got the repair to run and now my
    > problems are solved. Dell has ordered a new hard drive but I
    > think I will cancell that. The only thing I have to say
    > about these forum sites is I have never found anyone that
    > knew what they were talking about or sent something not
    > related to the question because most of the people in here
    > can't read and understand plain english.

    I usually ignore this type of response but in your case I'll
    make an exception.

    Your dissatisfaction with support forums may stem from the fact
    that you aren't looking for advice. You're looking for someone
    to provide you with a nice neat solution that requires little
    or no effort on your part. Sorry to tell you this but many
    computer issues don't have simple solutions. There is one
    guaranteed solution and you've found it, reinstall Windows.

    You may not think you need any more advice on this subject but
    I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't pass along this
    suggestion; Keep that XP installation CD handy! I think you'll
    find yourself needing it quite often.

    I asked several questions seeking clarification on why you
    weren't able to implement my suggested solutions. Instead of
    answering those questions you felt it would be more productive
    to just go on a rant about "None of the advice given sofar will
    work".

    As for people in these forums not knowing what they're talking
    about, the solutions I provided have been passed along to quite
    a few people who posted questions similar to yours. They've
    been able to successfully implement the procedures and delete a
    seemingly undeletable file or folder.

    You complain that "most of the people in here can't read and
    understand plain english". Did you ever consider the
    possibility that some people can't follow directions written in
    plain English?

    By the way, your last sentence is priceless. If you're going to
    complain about the reading comprehension of your target
    audience, it helps to use clear, cogent and concise statements
    when making that point. I can overlook mistakes in spelling or
    grammar but if you're going to insult someone's intelligence
    you should, at the very least, proofread your own material. The
    "sent something not related to the question" part could use a
    little editing.

    Nepatsfan

Windows XP Product