Restore from SD card after total power loss???

August 5, 2004 11:26:54 PM

When my Zire 71 battery goes dead I now have to have access to my desktop to
rebuild my apps and data.

Is there any way to have everything backed up on a SD card so that I could
get back up and running even if I was away from my desktop??

Roger
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:37:29 PM

In article <2SvQc.9779$cK.8069@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "R"
<x@x.x> wrote:

> When my Zire 71 battery goes dead I now have to have access to my desktop to
> rebuild my apps and data.
>
> Is there any way to have everything backed up on a SD card so that I could
> get back up and running even if I was away from my desktop??

Yes, there are backup apps that do this. Look in the usual places,
www.palmgear.com, etc.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:39:55 AM

Thanks!

I decided on BackupMan. Seems to get good reviews. I am glad to know that
I can rebuild without my desktop. I have had my Zire 71 go dead overnight a
few times and the thought of being on a trip with no Palm data was very
worrisome.

Being able to create a backup without the desktop is also great.

Roger

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <2SvQc.9779$cK.8069@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "R"
> <x@x.x> wrote:
>
> > When my Zire 71 battery goes dead I now have to have access to my
desktop to
> > rebuild my apps and data.
> >
> > Is there any way to have everything backed up on a SD card so that I
could
> > get back up and running even if I was away from my desktop??
>
> Yes, there are backup apps that do this. Look in the usual places,
> www.palmgear.com, etc.
August 6, 2004 5:32:48 AM

"R" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> When my Zire 71 battery goes dead I now have to have access to my desktop
> rebuild my apps and data.
>
> Is there any way to have everything backed up on a SD card so that I could
> get back up and running even if I was away from my desktop??
>
> Roger

BackupBuddy is one of the earliest "important" apps in the PalmOS world and
deserves a look. In particular, BackupBuddyVFS will do what you are looking
for and do it very well indeed. Find it at
http://www.bluenomad.com/bbvfs/prod_bbvfs_details.html

Carmine Castiglia
Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags
http://www.infosystemspro.com/pdaparts.htm
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 7:07:38 AM

"R" <x@x.x> wrote in

> Thanks!
>
> I decided on BackupMan. Seems to get good reviews. I am
> glad to know that I can rebuild without my desktop. I have
> had my Zire 71 go dead overnight a few times and the
> thought of being on a trip with no Palm data was very
> worrisome.
>
> Being able to create a backup without the desktop is also
> great.

I've had several hard resets, and BackupMan has restored
everything perfectly every time. The main thing to remember is
to back up religiously. I have BackupMan set to back up my Palm
every morning while I'm asleep, and I keep 4 days' backups, just
in case. I've never had to go back that far, but if you try a
lot of new apps, you had better be prepared. Not doing regular
backups to an SD card is simply gross negligence.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:34:43 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:26:54 GMT, "R" <x@x.x> spewed forth these words of
wisdom:

>When my Zire 71 battery goes dead I now have to have access to my desktop to
>rebuild my apps and data.
>
>Is there any way to have everything backed up on a SD card so that I could
>get back up and running even if I was away from my desktop??
>
>Roger

MegaLauncher 5.0 has a backup feature built-in. It's also an excellent launcher
and file manager. http://www.megasoft2000.com/

Galley
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 1:38:09 PM

In article <2SvQc.9779$cK.8069@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "R" <x@x.x> writes:
> When my Zire 71 battery goes dead I now have to have access to my desktop to
> rebuild my apps and data.
>
> Is there any way to have everything backed up on a SD card so that I could
> get back up and running even if I was away from my desktop??

Since you've got the same problem with the same piece-of-$h!t zire71 that
I've got, I suggest you get VFSBackup from
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.screech/index.htm I think I'll add this
to the stuff I ask palm to reimburse me for when I return the thing.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
!